PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday 7/31 Group Ride :: Park City Trails

accadacca
07-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Where do ya'll want to ride? :ne_nau:

greyhair biker
07-21-2007, 09:52 PM
:nod: WELL, you COULD come up here and ride...he said jokingly...but I'd be willing to come down there and ride if we're not camping :haha:

KanyonKris
07-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Could do BST and Bobsled again. How about some of the trail trails over in Draper like Clark's or Ghost Falls? I'd do Millcreek again. What about Mormon Pioneer?

Maybe this will help: I put together a Google Map of all of the trials (heads) listed on UtahMountainBiking.com. If nothing else it gives an idea how far away they are from the city.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=117915718243368472290.000435e2609575e657b74

live2ride
07-23-2007, 09:25 AM
I've been itching to get up and ride in park city, any trail up there would be awesome for me. A little cooler, nice ride and really not that far away!!

KanyonKris
07-24-2007, 10:51 AM
I'd be willing to spend the little extra drive time to ride some trials in Park City - there's so many there I haven't done. What about the downhill runs near Kimball Junction (24/7, Dropout (http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/JR-24-7.htm), Ant Farm)? Or the Glenwild Loop (http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/glenwild.htm)? There's a new trial called Flying Dog that was added to Glenwild that I hear is really good. Then there's all the trail around Deer Valley, The Canyons, Park City Mountain Resort, Round Valley, etc.

accadacca
07-25-2007, 07:50 PM
You name it KanyonKris and I'll show up. You have mentioned several that we have not ridden this year. I would be game to try something new. :2thumbs:

live2ride
07-25-2007, 08:03 PM
What about Mid mountain? Something in that area? I am open for suggestions! I would even bring the light if needed, or wouldnt mind doing a group ride that ends with the lights getting turned on. I have 1 spare light I could let someone borrow.

ericchile
07-26-2007, 08:08 AM
I'd be willing to spend the little extra drive time to ride some trials in Park City - there's so many there I haven't done. What about the downhill runs near Kimball Junction (24/7, Dropout (http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/JR-24-7.htm), Ant Farm)? Or the Glenwild Loop (http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/glenwild.htm)? There's a new trial called Flying Dog that was added to Glenwild that I hear is really good. Then there's all the trail around Deer Valley, The Canyons, Park City Mountain Resort, Round Valley, etc.

Thats on my way home from work anyway. But I would love to ride any of those trails!

KanyonKris
07-26-2007, 11:47 AM
How about this: We met at the trial head near Kimball Junction and ride the Stealth trail out to the DH/FR trails (24-7, Dropout and Ant Farm). From here riders could choose to stay and play on the DH/FR trails or do the Glenwild Loop. XC and DH/FR harmony achieved! Here are some links:

24-7, Dropout, Ant Farm (called Team Cutthroat) (http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/JR-24-7.htm)

Glenwild (http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/glenwild.htm)

If we have time, there is another loop added onto Glenwild called Flying Dog that is supposed to be good.

johnnyspoke
07-26-2007, 02:16 PM
KanyonKris, you're right, Flying dog is fun. Very pretty too. Here's a suggestion: If you want to do Flying dog but still be able to loop back easily with the DH folks back at 24/7, try this. Take Stealth to 24/7, and then up on the Flying dog. A little ways (1/4 mile or so) in on the Flying dog is the Preserve connector trail. If you take this it will put you out a little below the summit on the other side of Flying dog. Turn left, climb to the summit and then enjoy the downhill through the quakies back to 24/7 and the rest of the crew. Staying on Flying Dog and taking it all the way around puts you on to cobblestone and then to Glenwild and probably 5-6 sagebrushy miles away from the anyone back at the DH trails.

This trail is nice enough maybe I'll invite myself along! What time do you all meet again?

accadacca
07-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Sounds like a plan to me. Where should we meet? What time? etc, etc. directions. . . :popcorn:

KanyonKris
07-26-2007, 11:15 PM
On my 2007 Park City map the Preserve trail dead ends. It sounds it's been completed to connect back into the east side of Flying Dog now. Cool! That will allow us to hit the best parts of Flying Dog and keep the miles down since we only have so much daylight after work.

Let's meet at the Glenwild trail head at 6:00. Here are the directions from the UtahMountainBiking.com page (link above):

[quote]Getting there: At the I-80 Park City exit, go north (left from the exit if you're coming from SLC) to the frontage road. Turn right. About 1/4 mile later at the second road on your left, turn left. Spot the parking area, with bathroom and trail map kiosk, just before the creek. GPS N 40

live2ride
07-27-2007, 08:59 AM
I will be there, been waiting to ride in Park City... Nice plan.

accadacca
07-27-2007, 09:23 AM
In. :cool2:

shlingdawg
07-27-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm in. Anyone heading up from the North?

ericchile
07-27-2007, 08:13 PM
Im in!

live2ride
07-28-2007, 10:26 AM
I'm in. Anyone heading up from the North?

I'll be leaving from 33rd, but going back home to Layton if you need a ride back?

accadacca
07-29-2007, 09:55 AM
Hey Kris, Is your wife going? I know that caburt is thinking about it, but doesn't like to be the only girl. :ne_nau: Go figure! :lol8:

opskmallory
07-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Was gonna go up Payson Canyon by myself on Tuesday. This will be more fun. I'm there.

Can someone bring a UUTAH.COM shirt for me to buy???

Sombeech
07-29-2007, 09:31 PM
I'm thinking about joining up. If I do, I'll have the shirts with me. If not, I'll ship it to you for free, or have accadacca bring them.

live2ride
07-30-2007, 07:50 AM
I'm thinking about joining up. If I do, I'll have the shirts with me. If not, I'll ship it to you for free, or have accadacca bring them.

I would also like a shirt, so if you are there bring a few extra if possible, I need an XL unless they are huge....

KanyonKris
07-30-2007, 08:01 AM
Hey Kris, Is your wife going? I know that caburt is thinking about it, but doesn't like to be the only girl. :ne_nau: Go figure! :lol8:
She'd would, but she has girl's camp this week. When I mention that I'm excited for this ride, she gives me a sad look. :cry:

I haven't been on these trails, but I've heard several reports and I'm psyched. I'm looking forward to trying some stunts, and the downhill runs and then cruising the new Flying Dog trail. :nod:

Can I buy a few more hours of daylight? I better bring my headlamp just in case (I wish I had one of those high powered lights).

greyhair biker
07-30-2007, 08:55 AM
:ne_nau: looks like I wont be there - we're heading to Spirit Lake in the high uintahs :nod:

accadacca
07-30-2007, 08:56 AM
She'd would, but she has girl's camp this week. When I mention that I'm excited for this ride, she gives me a sad look. :cry:

I haven't been on these trails, but I've heard several reports and I'm psyched. I'm looking forward to trying some stunts, and the downhill runs and then cruising the new Flying Dog trail. :nod:

Can I buy a few more hours of daylight? I better bring my headlamp just in case (I wish I had one of those high powered lights).
Ok. Waz the skill level required on these trails? Just so I know if I should coax the rookies.

Ride On
07-30-2007, 09:19 AM
i'll go if i can get fortycal to bring me :rockit:

johnnyspoke
07-30-2007, 11:05 AM
On my 2007 Park City map the Preserve trail dead ends. It sounds it's been completed to connect back into the east side of Flying Dog now. Cool! That will allow us to hit the best parts of Flying Dog and keep the miles down since we only have so much daylight after work.

Yep, supposedly there's about a half mile of dirt road that links the two ends of the connector trail. I haven't done it this way yet but planned to the next time I ride this trail. Plus, I preferred 24/7 and Stealth to Glenwild and Blackhawk, and of course if there's extra time (and energy) the chance to play on the DH routes would be fun (though I'm no DH'er....yet)

Hope to make it up tomorrow but if I do will probably head out early so I can make family commitments at home before it's late.

fourtycal
07-30-2007, 04:26 PM

ok then, count us in. :2thumbs:

accadacca
07-30-2007, 04:48 PM

ok then, count us in. :2thumbs:
We need to meet up somewhere tomorrow and carpool. Park n ride down near 3300 or something. Beech, me, you, ride on, whoever. :five:

Sombeech
07-31-2007, 09:08 AM
I'm in.

I'll have shirts and stickers.

caburt
07-31-2007, 09:31 AM

Ok. Waz the skill level required on these trails? Just so I know if I should coax the rookies.

I'm in. Can I do this trail hung over? I mean, really hung over? C'mon guys! You've got to know some girls that ride. Someone bring one!

CarpeyBiggs
07-31-2007, 09:50 AM
I'm in. Can I do this trail hung over? I mean, really hung over? C'mon guys! You've got to know some girls that ride. Someone bring one!

You're still typing in fairly complete sentences, so you can't be THAT hung over... Unless you plan on doing some serious drinking in the next 6 hours. I think you're just looking for excuses for if/when you fall. :haha:

caburt
07-31-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks for inserting the 'if' 'cause we all know the 'when' is more probable and basically guaranteed. I'm a smart drunk. I just don't have any balance. See you all up there!

ericchile
07-31-2007, 12:36 PM

Don't you like the odds? I mean if there were 15 girls I could go riding with instead of the uutah guys do you know where I would be?

caburt
07-31-2007, 01:24 PM
I know. You're right. I don't mean to be ungrateful I just like a little backup so I'm not the worst rider :)

live2ride
07-31-2007, 02:25 PM
anyone looked in the hills towards PC lately, I am wondernig if we are going to be in for a thunderstorm??

KanyonKris
07-31-2007, 03:00 PM
I say bring on the rain. It worked for me for Mueller - great ride!

I'll be heading up there around 4:30 with a friend. We're going to go out Stealth then up the Connector then counter-clock-wise on Flying Dog back down to 24-7. My plan is that we'll meet you guys over by the DH trails for some laps on those and the stunts. Then if we have time we'll ride more of Glenwild.

Plenty of info in this thread for trail head directions and trail descriptions. This online map is nice:

http://maps.mountainland.org/maps/dynamic/ol_mtf.php

See you there!

live2ride
07-31-2007, 03:49 PM
well..... it is almost time for me to leave, just went out and tried to change my pedals and I just cut my two fingers on my right hand all the way through the nail to the bone, just a poke the size of a chain tooth... I am going to sit here at work for a minute and see what the hand is looking like after the bleeding stops.