PDA

View Full Version : Black Box and Horse Flies

jumar
07-13-2007, 08:29 AM
How bad do you think the horseflies would be in July and/or in August around Black Box? We're thinking of going down there in a few weeks, but I don't really want to get eaten alive. LOL

rockgremlin
07-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Hard to say w/o actually going there to see.

Just bring along a pair of long pants just in case. Insect repellant only angers them.

ajroadtrips
07-13-2007, 05:31 PM
How bad do you think the horseflies would be in July and/or in August around Black Box? We're thinking of going down there in a few weeks, but I don't really want to get eaten alive. LOL

I think you'll likely be fine. I have been in the san rafael river area several times in the last few weeks, and have not had any bug problems. They seem to be more of a problem in early spring than mid summer on.

The black box is good in July/August time frame, but can start getting cold near the end of August.....

alusul
07-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Did upper black box early this week in some hokey way where we missed the rappel listed on outdoor zen, entered further up i think just walked in, and exited via an 80 foot fifth class upclimb, but there were hardly any bugs hooray! :2thumbs: