PDA

View Full Version : SQUID ALERT!!!

derstuka
07-12-2007, 07:24 PM
SQUID alert!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YztB8me2sV0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HtIPYwrQ-k&NR=1

Just a matter of time on the second one for this squid to bite the big one.

Sombeech
07-12-2007, 10:08 PM
what's a squid?

accadacca
07-12-2007, 10:10 PM
:lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: TARDS!!

derstuka
07-13-2007, 06:38 AM
what's a squid?

Well, use this definition:

A motorcyclist who overestimates his abilities, boasts of his riding skills when in reality he has none. Squid bikes are usually decorated with chrome and various anodized bits. Rear tyres are too wide for their own good, swingarm extended. Really slow in the corners, and sudden bursts of acceleration when a straight appears. Squids wear no protection, deeming themselves invincible. This fact compounds itself with the fact that many engage in 'extreme riding'--performing wheelies and stoppies in public areas without any gear and many with next to no skill. Squids can and do wreck alot.

Add to that

A motorcyclist who rides wearing shorts, t-shirt, no-shirt, tanktop, sandals, skull cap, no-helmet, or just plain rides looking like he is going to the beach rather than trying to protect himself as he rides. Lack of gear/skill, and a brain in his/her head. Usually prefers the fastest most powerful sportbike made as his first bike because anything smaller is for pussies.

Maybe these pictures will help define a squid for you. This term is very common to sport riders all around, especially Cali.

tuckerdt
07-13-2007, 05:56 PM
But after he crashes, he can brag about the crash video and his injuries.... then scars later.

I think for these guys, wearing a helmet really doesn't protect anything anyway.

SQUID alert!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YztB8me2sV0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HtIPYwrQ-k&NR=1

Just a matter of time on the second one for this squid to bite the big one.

double moo
07-13-2007, 08:58 PM
I took this Squid shot last fall in Draper, UT.

Yes... believe it or don't... He is talking on his shone while riding! Has it pinched to his ear with his shoulder! Natural Selection dictates he won't live long enough to reproduce....

derstuka
07-14-2007, 10:42 AM

Yes... believe it or don't... He is talking on his shone while riding! Has it pinched to his ear with his shoulder! Natural Selection dictates he won't live long enough to reproduce....

Natural selection/gene-pool cleansing INDEED! What a joker!

I love how they ride around with their helmet safely attached to their bike. These kinda people are beyond help.

derstuka
07-14-2007, 10:43 AM
I think for these guys, wearing a helmet really doesn't protect anything anyway.

Good point!

accadacca
07-14-2007, 10:21 PM

Natural selection/gene-pool cleansing INDEED! What a joker!

I love how they ride around with their helmet safely attached to their bike. These kinda people are beyond help.
:lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

Mtnbiker
08-02-2007, 11:46 AM
Those are great :haha:

I almost didn't believe my eyes when I saw another cell phone incident in draper too a few weeks ago... Getting off on Bangerter he looked very preoccupied as I approached from behind, as if he was looking for something... Sure enough out pops a cell phone as he is exiting the freeking freeway. Talking with his left hand so he's only got gas and brakes, no clutch.

I should try that next time because god knows cell phones these days don't do voicemail! But what hand should I use? Is it best to have gas and brake, or clutch/rear brake? :roflol:

double moo
08-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Get yourself a throttle lock!! Cover the gas while giving you clutch and rear brake!!

Besides.... your probably better at texting with your right hand anyway....

accadacca
08-02-2007, 01:06 PM
Got this the other day. At one point she had the passenger holding the squid device up to her ear. :lol8:

double moo
08-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Last week I tried to get my camera out for a great shot... but was just too late.

A guy on a mid sized chinese scooter - bright red - pulled up next to me on 7th west and 7200 S. He was near 50 years old, balding and most of what was left was grey. He was also very tan... very, very tan... I know this because he was wearing a set of .99 cent flip flops and a Speedo! Yes a banana yellow speedo... a banana yellow banana hammock... nanner nanner...

I just couldn't get my camera out of the glove box fast enough... sorry guys... great photo opportunity lost. You'll just have to use your imagination on this one... probably save you the retinal burn...

caburt
08-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Alright. Here's the moment of truth. Accadacca sent me this link and I can only guess it was a nice way of saying 'You're a squid, but I like you enough to tactfully let you know, so quit that shit.'
Question, and please answer truthfully. Since I'm not wearing a jacket, am I a squid?
Before you answer I have to say that I never try and show off. I really only try to not do something stupide when people are looking at me. I don't go very fast either.

accadacca
08-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Alright. Here's the moment of truth. Accadacca sent me this link and I can only guess it was a nice way of saying 'You're a squid, but I like you enough to tactfully let you know, so quit that shit.'
Question, and please answer truthfully. Since I'm not wearing a jacket, am I a squid?
Before you answer I have to say that I never try and show off. I really only try to not do something stupide when people are looking at me. I don't go very fast either.
SQUID! :lol8:

derstuka
08-02-2007, 04:53 PM

Plain and simple. It doesn't matter. You cannot control a car moving into your lane, cutting you off, pulling out in front of you, etc, etc....too many variables. Forget about the term "squid" and remember this old adage... "wear what you want to crash in." Glad you are wearing a helmet though. Good girl on that point. You can get plenty of jackets that have zippered vents, and are perforated. Think of your body sliding down the road leaving your pretty skin behind on the asphalt. :eek2: At the very least, please put on a padded riding jacket, riding gloves, and at least some lace up workboots (something that will not be drag off of your foot when you are sliding down the road) young lady, you'll thank yourself someday.

I bought this one for the gf. It has lots of vents, good padding and protection.
http://www.joerocket.com/products/productJR.cfm?products_id=853

Read this young girl's story. Be sure to blow up the pictures in the article. Have a good look.
http://www.speedfreakinc.com/content/articles/riding/roadrashqueen.html

double moo
08-03-2007, 06:34 AM
+1 on derstuka's comments - roadrash girl is always a good example to site - I had my wife look through it also.

Another note - last year one of the motorcycle magazines did a report on different materials you may have the opportunity to crash in. As hard as it is for me to admit... leather was still number 1 - though most road leathers do not come with armor. Cordura and other similar modern textiles were second - and most come with some armor. Denim was found to last 8 feet on asphalt before it was wore through and your skin was in contact - this does not count the tears happening on impact, just the wearing through from abrasion.

So Caburt... next time you ride, ask yourself if you go down can you stop sliding in less than the length of your bike?

I wonder why we don't apply the same logic to mountain biking? where warp 9 in spandex is acceptable....

derstuka
08-03-2007, 07:03 AM
+1 on derstuka's comments - roadrash girl is always a good example to site - I had my wife look through it also.

Another note - last year one of the motorcycle magazines did a report on different materials you may have the opportunity to crash in. As hard as it is for me to admit... leather was still number 1 - though most road leathers do not come with armor. Cordura and other similar modern textiles were second - and most come with some armor. Denim was found to last 8 feet on asphalt before it was wore through and your skin was in contact - this does not count the tears happening on impact, just the wearing through from abrasion.

So Caburt... next time you ride, ask yourself if you go down can you stop sliding in less than the length of your bike?

I wonder why we don't apply the same logic to mountain biking? where warp 9 in spandex is acceptable....

Yeah, I find it hard to think of them ever besting the durability and wear resistance of a good ole cowhide. Leather will not melt and burn your skin either, like some textiles can and do in a slide. However, I would rather see somebody wearing anything, whether it be textile, or whatnot, if leather is just too hot for them, or they do not like the heavy and bulky feel of it. Some textiles are pretty good too. My (alpinestars) leathers have elbow, shoulder, and back padding (not as good as a full-on spine protector,however, better than a stick in the eye as my dad says). Good basic protection. My pants are racing leathers, have padding all around. I usually only where them in the canyons and backroads though, not on my ten mile ride to work. I do usually wear reinforced denim though, around town. My gloves are leather with carbonfiber inserts on the knuckle and fingers, and have dual wrist closures, which extend past my wrist over my jacket. My boots are alpinestars full leather race with plastic protection around the ankle. Although, I wear my stury lace up workboots to work each day.

Hey double moo. Check out this link. I know it is not the first of it's kind, however, this does look promising, as intial impact is many times where the most injury happens. Watch the video demonstrations.

http://www.hit-air.com/english/main.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps2fzVsSoRI

You probably already heard about honda goldwings offering an airbag for '08. Would not work for every circumstance, however, in lower speed t-bone incidents, I think it would work nicely.

Honda Goldwing airbag demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApYPzyPnFOs&mode=related&search=

double moo
08-03-2007, 03:31 PM
In watching the video I thought the tailbone protection looked great once inflated... until he does the slide and you see that it is flipped up against his back!!!

I like your earlier statement "wear what you want to crash in".

Too bad we can't sell common sense!

derstuka
08-05-2007, 12:06 PM
In watching the video I thought the tailbone protection looked great once inflated... until he does the slide and you see that it is flipped up against his back!!!

I like your earlier statement "wear what you want to crash in".

Too bad we can't sell common sense!

I think the hip inflation is designed to take the initial impact of a landing from falling, not so much as sliding. Also, it would depend if you are sliding face forward on your back, or feet forward. I am sure improvements could be made. I really like the protection it offers the chest, neck and back. Very vital areas. I think it is a pretty great idea. Maybe one day they will be common place.

Common sense is too lame. Lack of common sense is much more fun for these jokers!

Are you wearing full textile? What do you wear on your daily commute?

double moo
08-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Daily commute + 6700lbs of truck - pretty safe there... and I do wear my seatbelt!

When I ride I go with the textiles on the road.. and full off road gear when the occasion arrives. I use a cooling vest to keep tempered in the summer heat - amazing how well it works! A couple weeks ago I did a 1400 mile loop through southern Utah then Colorado - on the way home temps were over 100 degrees across the desert on I-70. Squirted a bit of water on the pant legs and let the cooling vest do it's job. I don't think you could make that work out with leather!

Moo

derstuka
08-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Daily commute + 6700lbs of truck - pretty safe there... and I do wear my seatbelt!

When I ride I go with the textiles on the road.. and full off road gear when the occasion arrives. I use a cooling vest to keep tempered in the summer heat - amazing how well it works! A couple weeks ago I did a 1400 mile loop through southern Utah then Colorado - on the way home temps were over 100 degrees across the desert on I-70. Squirted a bit of water on the pant legs and let the cooling vest do it's job. I don't think you could make that work out with leather!

Moo

haha, that is a safe ride in! Ya know what they say, you can't be a cow for safety, but you sure can for comfort!