PDA

View Full Version : How to use National Geographic GPS USA

Wasatch Rebel
07-10-2007, 05:21 PM
I was given this software for a birthday present. Right now, I don't own a GPS unit, but would like to be able to get some detailed maps off of this software. For some reason though, it only lets me zoom in to level 3, and there are still levels 4 and 5 to go--I get some message that those levels aren't on this software, so I don't get nearly enough detail for hiking or finding lakes in the Uintas or whatever. So if anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it muchly.

caverspencer
07-14-2007, 05:08 PM
thats odd. Do you by chance need to register it to unlock those maps?

Does it ask for a CD or anything when you try and zoom?

Wasatch Rebel
07-29-2007, 02:08 PM
Sorry, I've been on vacation for the past two weeks. It asks for a disk for one level, then gives it, but then there are still two additional levels that it won't let me use. I also can't get back to the level I was on without closing the entire program and restarting it. I registered, or at least I thought I did, so I don't think that's the problem.

Fire Elemental
07-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Interesting! I just messed around with mine to see what I could see to be the problem and it almost sounds like you don't have all the CD's involved. I can get right down to the closest level in my software.

Wasatch Rebel
07-30-2007, 08:46 PM
How many cds do you have? Mine just came with one cd. I wonder if I have just a scaled down version--I got it as a gift from my wife, so I'm real hesitant to tell her she got me the wrong thing. It's called "GPS USA" and right underneath that on the plastic case it says "Trip Planning and GPS Upload/Download Software". Does that sound anything close to what you're using?

Fire Elemental
07-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Mine is National Geographic TOPO! Utah.

It has 6 CD's to it and each CD brings the detail in closer and closer!

Very nice set of Topos for anything I have been doing!

Not sure I have heard of the program you have.

Alex
07-31-2007, 04:13 AM
Ya sounds like a CD issue, you could get the CDs (media) from any of us, the key is what you pay for. If you need some PM me.

Wasatch Rebel
08-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Mine is National Geographic TOPO! Utah.

It has 6 CD's to it and each CD brings the detail in closer and closer!

Very nice set of Topos for anything I have been doing!

Not sure I have heard of the program you have.

Mine has TOPO! on the box too, but it's supposed to be the entire U.S.. Hmm, it sounds like I got the wrong thing for what I need. Thanks for your information. Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for your program?