PDA

View Full Version : Uutah Westwater trip?

Alex
07-10-2007, 07:53 AM
So I have been asked by a couple of uutah members to take them down rafting. I was wondering who else rafts around here? I can only take 3 passengers on my boat without taking too much risk. If we make this trip, we'd need at least another boat for rescue/safety/cargo.

Are there any boatman volunteers?

I usually rent the boats from UofU rec program and it turns out about $75-90 per trip (including food/gas/etc).

accadacca
07-10-2007, 08:24 AM
I would be interested in tagging along, but I don't want to invite myself. Do they have bigger rafts available for rental? It would be cool to do a noob rafting trip. But I am not sure about the logistics, the members might have to be hand picked and the trip would have to be capped quickly. :ne_nau:

soitgos
07-10-2007, 06:45 PM
So I have been asked by a couple of uutah members to take them down rafting. I was wondering who else rafts around here? I can only take 3 passengers on my boat without taking too much risk. If we make this trip, we'd need at least another boat for rescue/safety/cargo.

Are there any boatman volunteers?

I usually rent the boats from UofU rec program and it turns out about $75-90 per trip (including food/gas/etc).

I might be able to help with this depending on the date. I've rowed Westwater a couple of times. I even have a raft. :cool2:

mrbrejcha
07-10-2007, 07:13 PM
I'd be in. I have a gear boat and an extra 14' bucket boat which would be fine at lower water, i'd just need someone to steer it if we fill it because I'll be rowing my gear boat. :2thumbs:
Another idea...a few of my friends and I are planning a cat trip for late august.....but it's still kinda up in the air.

Alex
07-10-2007, 08:50 PM
I haven't done a Cat yet, would love to though. I like Westwater because it's quick and powerful. Perfect for a SLC residents weekend trips. Plus gives a great newbie experience.

mrbrejcha
07-15-2007, 04:18 PM
So do we want to set some dates for Westy??? :ne_nau:

Alex
07-15-2007, 04:59 PM
Looks like mid September is the earliest weekend we can do it

http://www.blm.gov/utah/moab/ww-cal-07.html

End of September would be better for me.

mrbrejcha
07-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Pick a weekend and I'll make it happen. (for me anyway)

Fire Elemental
07-29-2007, 08:18 PM

I would love to join in if there is no opposition to a new Uutah member coming along! I might even be able to talk the wife and boys into coming along.

You figure roughly $100 a person to cover gas/food/rentals/etc.? You are renting from the U of U rec department? I live a half mile from there and can help with picking up rentals or whatever.

I like the end of September, then it should be cooling off a little bit!

soitgos
07-29-2007, 08:29 PM

I would love to join in if there is no opposition to a new Uutah member coming along! I might even be able to talk the wife and boys into coming along.

You figure roughly $100 a person to cover gas/food/rentals/etc.? You are renting from the U of U rec department? I live a half mile from there and can help with picking up rentals or whatever.

I like the end of September, then it should be cooling off a little bit!

Better warm up the phone finger, the last weekend in September will be gone by 8:20 in the morning.

Shameless self promotion: Our rafts are cheaper than the U and you can pick them up and drop them off at your convenience (yes, even Sunday late evening).

Fire Elemental
07-29-2007, 08:59 PM
Better warm up the phone finger, the last weekend in September will be gone by 8:20 in the morning.

Shameless self promotion: Our rafts are cheaper than the U and you can pick them up and drop them off at your convenience (yes, even Sunday late evening).

Maybe this will need to go into October?!?!

What do you mean by "our" rafts? Do you work somewhere that rents? Give me the details!! Do you rent Sea Kayaks? I want to do some kayaking on flatwater this fall.

soitgos
07-29-2007, 09:10 PM
Maybe this will need to go into October?!?!

What do you mean by "our" rafts? Do you work somewhere that rents? Give me the details!! Do you rent Sea Kayaks? I want to do some kayaking on flatwater this fall.

I work for Carbon Rec, in Price. We have 13, 14, and 15.5-foot rafts, inflatable kayaks and whitewater kayaks, but no sea kayaks.

We have the ultimate paddle raft, a JPW Outfitter Culebra.

www.carbonrec.com
435-637-5092

Fire Elemental
07-29-2007, 09:58 PM
We have the ultimate paddle raft, a JPW Outfitter Culebra.

How much do these go for per day?

I will be in Price on the 11th for the Carbon County Dutch Oven Cook-off, maybe I can ge in touch with you while I am there?

Alex
07-30-2007, 05:08 AM

Steve, I am all over it. I promised my wife I will be taking her down WW on the 29th. So two more hours and I will be redialing demon! :twisted:

Alex
07-30-2007, 09:58 AM

Steve, I am all over it. I promised my wife I will be taking her down WW on the 29th. So two more hours and I will be redialing demon! :twisted:

Fast fingers strike again, woot! Missed the Saturday, but grabbed the Sunday launch. :rockon:

Fire Elemental
07-30-2007, 10:38 PM

Fast fingers strike again, woot! Missed the Saturday, but grabbed the Sunday launch. :rockon:

So, you were able to get the last Sunday launch in September?

How many can go on a permit? And are you taking invites to go down with you?

Alex
07-31-2007, 04:08 AM
The problem with invites is I have too many passengers wanting to go, but not enough drivers. I like to take max of 3 passengers with me.

rock_ski_cowboy
07-31-2007, 08:54 AM
Yeah, steve, how much for a culebra for a day?

Oh and I raft but I'm leaving to go to law school in DC in a week or I'd pitch in to help!

soitgos
08-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Sorry I haven't been around. Just back from a wonderful trip on the Gates of Lodore.

The Culebra is $50 a day with a multi-day discount. The good thing with us is that the day you pick it up and the day you drop it off counts as one day.

Steve