PDA

View Full Version : Escalante an OHV area?

caverspencer
07-08-2007, 01:33 PM
I recently heard a rumor of Escalante getting a $50,000 grant to create an OHV staging area and create an OHV trail system.

Is there any truth to this?

I grew up in the town and there really are not that many trails that would be that great for jeeps (compared to Moab, and Kanab areas). Also my parents still live in Escalante and they have not heard anything of the sort. In fact they are seeing many roads closed because of the new Grand Staircase NM.

Anyway just curious if there was any truth to the rumor? If so can you please point me to some links about it.

scoutabout
07-08-2007, 03:02 PM
I recently heard a rumor of Escalante getting a $50,000 grant to create an OHV staging area and create an OHV trail system.

Is there any truth to this?

I grew up in the town and there really are not that many trails that would be that great for jeeps (compared to Moab, and Kanab areas). Also my parents still live in Escalante and they have not heard anything of the sort. In fact they are seeing many roads closed because of the new Grand Staircase NM.

Anyway just curious if there was any truth to the rumor? If so can you please point me to some links about it.

There was a big discussion about it here somewhere on uutah.com. It's a state grant to make an OHV staging area for unloading/loading ATV's. There's no trail component in the grant.

caverspencer
07-08-2007, 04:29 PM
There was a big discussion about it here somewhere on uutah.com. It's a state grant to make an OHV staging area for unloading/loading ATV's. There's no trail component in the grant.

Is there somewhere, perhaps on the state website, that I might could find more info about the grant?

Any idea where this staging area would be?

Thats sounds like a lot of money just for a parking lot. I had pictured trail marking signs and such as well.

Sombeech
07-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Here's the emotional quagmire:

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7435

caverspencer
07-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Google knows everything..

I did a quick search and found this site with some info about it
http://www.grandcanyontrust.org/whatsnew/06_21_07escalanteohv.php

Interesting the spot where they proposed it.

The location of staging area is up at the top of the town on the West end. This used to be a nice grassy park and a baseball field and was great place to go to until around 1990 or so, since then its been run down and only a small portion maintained. Every time i go to visit my parents I notice it getting worse and worse.

I understand there reasoning for wanted to do something with the area, its a neat piece of land and it could use some attention. However its not a good spot for an OHV area. There is NO access to any dirt roads or trails from there without having to drive through town or drive 5 miles West on the main highway. further, most of the canyons have plenty of parking areas.

I think it is great they are trying to do something with the land, however I highly doubt it would be utilized as an OHV staging area. It seems to me Marlene might just digging deep to get some money. Seems a bit shady to apply for a OHV grant as a front for developing the part.

If anyone has more info about whether or not the grant was approved or the status of it I would be interested to see that.

caverspencer
07-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Here's the emotional quagmire:

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7435

thanks, I skimmed about 3 pages and then gave up and added my quick response. I hope it doesnt stir the pot too much.

Someday when I want to read a novel I will read more of the thread.