PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Hammond Canyon

Brewhaha
07-06-2007, 03:53 PM
My boys and I took a quick one-night trip through Hammond. It was a great trip with some beautiful scenery. Hammond contains some fantastic rock spires that really add to the hike. In addition, there are some wonderful ruins to be found (with a little effort). We didn't have time to check out the ruins but we will be back. The canyon contains a wonderful drip spring that is about at the halfway point. The water was clear and cold. It was dripping and took about 10 minutes to fill a liter bottle. We didn't mind waiting at all given the alternative. I was impressed that the water was still running at the beginning of July, during a hot summer, after a dry winter. Here are some pics.

BTW, if you are using Kelsey as a guide be careful. He mentions a 4WD road that is not there but is a trail instead (it was never a 4WD road that I could tell.)

tanya
07-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Nice stuff. Great family photo! :2thumbs:

Jammer
07-08-2007, 11:59 PM
Nice pics Brewhaha.

Where did you begin your hike? Where did you spend the night?

Brewhaha
07-09-2007, 08:53 AM
We went around to the north side of the canyon and entered from there (opposite the Cream Pots Trail). We hiked up-canyon, camped at the drip spring by the biggest phallic symbol, and exited through Little Notch.

tomdietrying
04-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Hammond Canyon will be on my list. Thanks for sharing.
Peace.
Tom