PDA

View Full Version : Fire on the Mountain

savanna3313
07-04-2007, 06:25 AM
I live close to the fire burning up on the east bench in Sandy/Draper. I took photos from around 10 pm to 4 am. The smoke is still pretty heavy - my eyes won't stop watering. I just thank God that the normal canyon winds that usually whip up at night, were fairly still last night. These photos aren't great (average digital camera) and the smoke was pretty heavy, but it really was an awesome sight (and kinda scary). My visiting guests thought it was bette than any fireworks show they could see. :haha: You can see from the last photo that the fire was spreading wider and heading more southerly. The firefighters had stopped its movement down the mtn towards homes by this morning.

What I can't get over was that the traffic coming up Wasatch (until after 1 am) to see the fire was bumper to bumper, people parking all over the place, leaving little room for emergency vehicles to get up to the area. I made a comment to my neighbor about "where was the Sandy police when they were needed" and he replied that they were probably still manning their speed traps. :lol8:

tanya
07-04-2007, 07:06 AM
This is not what I expected from the title of this thread....

At least not from Savanna. :haha:

donny h
07-04-2007, 10:13 AM
I really thought this thread was about the Grateful Dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFQqW_cV0WA

savanna3313
07-04-2007, 12:09 PM
I really thought this thread was about the Grateful Dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFQqW_cV0WA

Wow....I didn't know there was another song by this title. "Fire on the Mountain" brings to mind The Marshall Tucker Band for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2AJvhrAlRM

Happy 4th all! I am heading up to East Canyon hopefully getting out of this nasty smoke that is still hanging in the air.

Shan
07-04-2007, 12:11 PM
You didn't know "Fire on the Mountain!!"

Is there ash all over your yard in the morning?

savanna3313
07-04-2007, 12:16 PM
This is not what I expected from the title of this thread....

At least not from Savanna. :haha:

Girl.......that's because your mind always stays in the gutter! :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: Ok.....just kidding - I can't really say such a thing now can I, because I always talk about how we think alike. :naughty:

:five:

savanna3313
07-04-2007, 12:21 PM
You didn't know "Fire on the Mountain!!"

Is there ash all over your yard in the morning?

Nope - not that version anyway. And yes - there is ash all over, even in in the pine trees. We were very fortunate that the winds were so mild last night. Usually there are strong canyon winds blowing in the late evening from that area. My eyes and my sinuses are burning from the smoke in the air even though I have been inside mainly. I'm heading up to where my sister has her 5th wheel for the rest of the day and breathe some fresh air. :2thumbs:

donny h
07-04-2007, 02:07 PM
The Dead usually played Fire on the Mountain along with Scarlet Begonias, hence the Deadspeak "Scarlet Fire". It's a long jam, around 20 minutes.

Both tunes were written by Robert Hunter, Scarlet Begonias is one of their best jams:

Well, I aint always right but Ive never been wrong.
Seldom turns out the way it does in a song.
Once in a while you get shown the light
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMc1LOXNxJc

Lyrics from Fire:

Almost ablaze still you dont feel the heat
It takes all you got just to stay on the beat.
You say its a livin, we all gotta eat
But youre here alone, theres no one to compete.
If mercys a busness, I wish it for you
More than just ashes when your dreams come true

greyhair biker
07-04-2007, 03:00 PM
whew! glad to see all is well Savannah - I havent been able to get hold of my folks in Sandy to see if they can see the fire but we've been up in the Uintahs since sunday (north slope Brownie Lake area) and we kept getting smoke from the fire over on the Duchesne side, which killed three people.

tcope
07-04-2007, 08:45 PM
I was driving up 114th last night around 11pm and the fire looked to go from the bottom to the top of the hill. It looked to be about 1/8 mile wide. I've never seen a forest fire from that close.