PDA

View Full Version : My brother sucked through dam on Snake River

Sombeech
07-02-2007, 03:34 PM
SEE THE ABC CHANNEL 4 NEWS INTERVIEW HERE (http://www.abc4.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoID=69787)

My brother Clint and his two friends Trevor & Jeremy, last Saturday June 30th;

The 3 were fishing and floating @ 25 miles on the Snake River on dual bladder pontoons, with plans to pull out near Heise, Idaho (just east of Idaho Falls).

They paid an Outfitter service to shuttle their vehicle down to the pull out. This same Outfitter (name withheld) advised them to float past their originally planned pullout, go around the "Great Feeder Dam", and continue down to a hatchery.

All they had to do was stay right....

They passed numerous danger signs warning them to stay clear of the spillways, so they would paddle to the opposite side of the river. Then they saw the huge wall spanning the width of the river. They remembered the directions to "Stay Right".

THERE ARE NO RESTRICTING BUOYS.
So Clint arrives first to the wall, and sees a ramp on the right side. He's thinking "this is it, I'll get out there". Trevor paddled over also, but Jeremy was having trouble making his way. Clint is safely standing on a concrete platform.

Jeremy butts up to the dam wall with the swift current, and his boat flips over. They expect his resurface in under 10 seconds, but nothing. 2-3 minutes go by, and they are screaming for help. A few campers nearby hear their cries, and come to help.

One of them reaches down from the Dam wall, and grabs on to Trevor just as his boat is flipping over also. The camper yells to my brother "I'm losing him! I'm losing him!" My brother is kicking off his flippers so he can move more quickly and help grab Trevor's hand.

Clint is thinking, "if I fall in, I'll just grab the boat". No chance. Trevor pulls Clint in, and they are both being sucked down in the depths of the Snake River. They are drug straight down the Dam wall, and go into one of the multiple tunnels. They have no idea how long they are down there.

Clint's wife and baby boy go through his mind. It is now pitch black. His fingers claw at the concrete tunnel as he shoots further down. With his chest waders full of water, even if there weren't any current, there would be no hope of swimming to the top with an extra 200 lbs.

He feels air, somewhere, bubbles. He starts to see a light approaching, and at this point, actually believes he is dead.

He is shot out of a 150 foot spray at the bottom of the dam. He has no idea how he got to shore with his waders full of water. As he came to, he looks up, expecting to see his dead body float by. Trevor is on shore 50 feet away from him.

Where's Jeremy....

The campers called the ambulance, telling them to retrieve 3 dead bodies.

The ambulance actually found Jeremy first, downstream around the bend. They informed him "The other two didn't make it". Luckily, they found Clint & Trevor shortly after.

Minor injuries to all 3. Jeremy dislocated his shoulder while trying to pull himself back up the Dam wall.

All are home safe now.

I do not want to give the Outfitters any advertising, but please call their number; 1-800-483-2110.
PLEASE TELL THEM TO STOP ADVISING PEOPLE TO FLOAT NEAR THIS DAM!!!!
It is called the "Great Feeder Dam" near Heise, Idaho. There are no safety buoys to prevent this again. I called them today and found out this same thing happened last year!!!!!

Please see the Google Earth attachment for details on location.

KillEmAll
07-02-2007, 03:49 PM
I got sick to my stomach reading about this. Man, I'm glad he's alright.

price1869
07-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Is the dam going to start selling tickets for that ride?

TreeHugger
07-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Holy crap! How absolutely terrifying. I'm so glad (and amazed) that everyone is alright, only minor injuries. What a crazy story (and very well told).

Tree.

Iceaxe
07-02-2007, 04:44 PM
:eek2:

CarpeyBiggs
07-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Beech, was this your brother, or is this cut and pasted from somewhere?

Sombeech
07-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Beech, was this your brother, or is this cut and pasted from somewhere?

Yep, it's my brother Clint.

Fox13 interviewed them at 4:30 today, so I'm not sure when it's going to air. I think the news crew is even going to drive up to the Dam, but I'm not sure. I hope they do, because I want to see what they went through.

EDIT: THIS WILL AIR TONIGHT AT 9.

http://uutah.com/forum/files/wind_rivers_july_2006__98___small_.jpg

http://uutah.com/forum/files/wind_rivers_july_2006__219___small_.jpg

http://uutah.com/forum/files/img_2242__small_.jpg

RugerShooter
07-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Wow that is amazing, I can't beleive they all made it out alive

shlingdawg
07-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Holy crap! :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

I can't imagine the horror they went through in those tunnels.

Glad it had a good ending though.

Alex
07-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Damn! That is crazy! Glad they came out to tell their story.

PS: Has the story aired yet? I don't see it anywhere.

Sombeech
07-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Crap. They said they would air it tonight. Maybe tomorrow. :ne_nau:

sparker1
07-02-2007, 09:33 PM
Amazing story. Believe the signs, not some yahoo who thinks you'll be OK.

Cirrus2000
07-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Wow, that is just jaw-dropping, utterly incredible. What the h3|| is wrong with those outfitters?!? :frustrated:

Just glad they were all OK. I totally expected the worst.

nosivad_bor
07-02-2007, 10:10 PM
i'm stunned and sickened.

so glad that your brother made it through this tragedy.

-rob

shlingdawg
07-03-2007, 05:40 AM
So why to the assclown outfitters still have their business? They should NOT be allowed to guide anymore.

Sombeech
07-03-2007, 06:30 AM
So why to the assclown outfitters still have their business? They should NOT be allowed to guide anymore.

I was on the phone with them for 20 minutes yesterday. Not once did they ask how the 3 were doing, if they were OK, or if they had lost anything.

The whole time they were trying to deny responsibility.

I asked if they've even heard how they were doing, they said no. I said "are you going to ask?"

JP
07-03-2007, 06:48 AM
Wow :eek2: Glad to see that all three made it through that ordeal. Maybe the news will shed a little unwanted light on that outfitter.

accadacca
07-03-2007, 07:49 AM
Wild story, glad their ok.

MY T PIMP
07-03-2007, 07:55 AM
It's a miracle that any one survived, it's an act of God that all three did. :hail2thechief: :hail2thechief:

tanya
07-03-2007, 08:35 AM
I am so glad these guys are okay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

gonzo
07-03-2007, 08:39 AM
That's freakin' crazy. What a bunch of worthless, negligent, and dangerous outfitters. I hope they get a ton of bad publicity out of this.

Glad your brother and his friends are alright.

C_Mac
07-03-2007, 10:56 AM
First of all I'm just grateful to be using this computer right now. Second, I just want to express my love and gratitude for my brother, Sombeech. This has been a terrifying but life changing experience for me. I wasn't sure if I wanted to read through the article but I'm glad I did and I'm glad he wrote this. It happened just as he explained it, with a few minor different occurances. I'm not looking to blame anyone for my own risks or falls, I just wanted a fair warning, Trevor and Jeremy feel the same way. We didn't have a guide, so it really no one's fault except whoever is in charge of posting warning signs and bouys. Trevor has been doing a little research and today he finally got some answers. He was told today that two people have recently died in this very spot. I'm not sure of all the details but it is enough to make me rethink and re-enter that mode of shock I experienced.
I don't care to get the attention from the news or whatever, but I guess the cast was full last night and it may air tonight. I just got word of ABC coming down today at 1pm to interview, I'll see if I feel up to it, but Trevor and Jeremy will be there.
I appreciate all the comments and support from everyone. I've never experienced trama in my life and this one has hit pretty hard.

Sombeech
07-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Trevor has been doing a little research and today he finally got some answers. He was told today that two people have recently died in this very spot.

Wow, so there have been deaths there, huh? :eek2:

C_Mac
07-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Yes deaths!! He just found out an hour ago. I'm really not surprised though, and I don't even know if they had waders on, may have been tubers.

C_Mac
07-03-2007, 11:05 AM
This is a yearly occurance.

packfish
07-03-2007, 11:11 AM
I know that area very well . It can be a bad deal and luckily nothing ever happened to me the first time and was ready for it every time after. Every year something happens there. There are some signs but there really should be something more. Glad to hear all survived.

MY T PIMP
07-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Clint can't tell you how happy I am to here you made it. West Weber has gone through a lot of tragedy with younger people I'm glad you didn't add to it. It really choked me up when I heard about your near death experience, it truly was the greatest miracle I have personally know some one to be part of. You must have something great in store for you on this world. Great job staying alive down there.

P.S.-Troy's been trying to fish every weekend this summer give him call, I'm sure he'll take you, or go with ya.

tanya
07-03-2007, 12:01 PM
First of all I'm just grateful to be using this computer right now. Second, I just want to express my love and gratitude for my brother, Sombeech. This has been a terrifying but life changing experience for me. I wasn't sure if I wanted to read through the article but I'm glad I did and I'm glad he wrote this. It happened just as he explained it, with a few minor different occurances. I'm not looking to blame anyone for my own risks or falls, I just wanted a fair warning, Trevor and Jeremy feel the same way. We didn't have a guide, so it really no one's fault except whoever is in charge of posting warning signs and bouys. Trevor has been doing a little research and today he finally got some answers. He was told today that two people have recently died in this very spot. I'm not sure of all the details but it is enough to make me rethink and re-enter that mode of shock I experienced.
I don't care to get the attention from the news or whatever, but I guess the cast was full last night and it may air tonight. I just got word of ABC coming down today at 1pm to interview, I'll see if I feel up to it, but Trevor and Jeremy will be there.
I appreciate all the comments and support from everyone. I've never experienced trama in my life and this one has hit pretty hard.

Lil' Beech!!!!!

We all know how Justin got his name, how did Muf come about?

Glad you are okay!

:hail2thechief: :hail2thechief: :hail2thechief: :hail2thechief:

shanehadman
07-03-2007, 12:34 PM
I saw Jeremy and Trevor's dad on Saturday and he told me what had happend

I was glad to hear that they were all ok and survived

C_Mac
07-03-2007, 01:21 PM
We just did an interview with ABC 4 news. It will air at 5:30.

Sombeech
07-03-2007, 01:52 PM
We just did an interview with ABC 4 news. It will air at 5:30.

For sure this time? :lol8:

C_Mac
07-03-2007, 02:11 PM
It was Marcus Ortiz that did the interview this time, last night it was an intern from Fox 13. I know Ortiz is one of their main dudes and he said it would be tonight @ 5:30. Fox also said they may air tonight as well...who knows these days, they'd rather give all the rapists and murderers the air time and advertisement.

Sombeech
07-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Yeah, Fox had to talk about fire hazards for 30 minutes last night.

How did the interviews go with each station? Which went better?

shanehadman
07-03-2007, 02:25 PM
We heard from the Murray's that it was suppose to be on FOX last night also.....so we watched the whole hour news

That 30 min interview of the damn fire was a joke :frustrated: :frustrated:

C_Mac
07-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Like I said Fox had an intern interview us and he didn't even have a mic, he just gave us a shirt clipped mic. ABC was much more into it, not that I care about either one.

shagster
07-03-2007, 02:55 PM
I actually called Fox 13 today and talked to one of the broadcasters. He told me that it was going to be on at the 11 am news and then again tonight at 9. I guess we will see.

Most importantly I am glad that you are ok Muf, you have to make sure that you are around at least long enough to make it to my wedding( could be a little while still :roflol: ). :2thumbs:

shlingdawg
07-03-2007, 08:42 PM
http://www.abc4.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoId=69787@video.ktvx.com

tanya
07-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Nice video and interview! :2thumbs:

RugerShooter
07-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Well it looks like FOX missed it again tonight :frustrated:

Glad to see you are ok and still with us Muff

Sombeech
07-03-2007, 09:41 PM
Too bad ABC showed such a small example of the dam.

You guys really should go up there and take a picture of it. I want to see that 150 foot spray coming out.

Wasatch Rebel
07-04-2007, 05:03 AM
Jeez, Sombeech. I just read your original post. I'm sure glad they're all okay. It could've been pretty bad for them---and it was very terrifying, I'm sure for all concerned.

oldno7
07-04-2007, 06:23 AM

You guys really should go up there and take a picture of it. I want to see that 150 foot spray coming out.

yea--I think their dam shot on what--the weber river??

very weak comparison.

KillEmAll
07-04-2007, 07:33 AM

yea--I think their dam shot on what--the weber river??

very weak comparison.

No kidding. But hey, they started out with the google earth shot to really put it into perspective. I think I saw the turbines... or maybe that was a house. And with gas prices so high it's hard to go all the way to Idaho to do a story right. :haha:

Seriously though Clint, it was hard watching it and choked me up a bit. I'm just glad you're still around to talk about it. Ya damn thrill seeker!

Murr
07-04-2007, 07:38 AM
I am glad to be alive, I can't explain what it was like to get sucked through the dam, for the record I didn't mean to pull muff in. :2thumbs:

Murr
07-04-2007, 09:15 AM
They showed the real dam last night at the 10:00 PM news.

Sombeech
07-04-2007, 11:03 AM
They showed the real dam last night at the 10:00 PM news.

Is there a link to this somewhere?

Good to have you with us, Murr.

Shan
07-04-2007, 11:16 AM
OMG that is so scary. This is one of my worst fears in life (not dams but getting sucked into deep dark water). I am so glad they are all OK.

greyhair biker
07-04-2007, 03:22 PM
WOW! I'm glad to see this went well....and I REALLY hope someone gets a CLUE and does something about this problem instead of waiting until the next DEATH. Glad to see you guys are okay! :2thumbs: :five:

C_Mac
07-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Yeah, Murr definitely didn't pull me in, you can see how far I had to reach around the corner for Murr's hand on the broadcast from last night. That's how I fell in. I was standing on that underwater concrete pad about 8-10 feet away from Murr.

Sombeech
07-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Here's a Terraserver picture of the dam above.

Great Feeder Dam (http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=12&X=2220&Y=24155&W=3&qs=%7cheise%7cid%7c)

Attached below is what I'm believing to be a smaller version of the dam.

I still can't find a picture of the actual dam, but this one is maybe a mile or two downstream.

It is found on a pdf file at this link:
http://www.deq.state.id.us/water/data_reports/surface_water/tmdls/idaho_falls/idaho_falls_part2.pdf

Note, there are no buoys on this one either.

What do you think, fellas? Was it something like this, only a little wider? :ne_nau:

C_Mac
07-05-2007, 07:30 AM
This is it! So it's not as wide as I remember, my mind was in a state of absolute shock at the time. The level seems a bit low here, but not by much, all that concrete near the water was ten inches under. Also, there was no water coming out of the middle gates, just the sides.

Murr
07-05-2007, 09:13 AM
Your right Muff that is it.

tapehoser
07-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Holy schnotskies. They are very fortunate.

Joe Gardner
07-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Wow! What a story to tell the grand kids! :D

Glad you made it out alive, very lucky indeed.

Iceaxe
07-05-2007, 11:47 AM
:popcorn:

epek
07-06-2007, 09:19 AM
That is 'dam' crazy, you are 'dam' lucky, what a 'dam' shame and a 'dam' blessing, 'dam'!!!

kellymw22
07-14-2007, 08:32 PM
I happened to be searching around for info on this dam and happened to find your discussion. I was searching because only days after (July 3rd) I went through this same dam!! I am from the Idaho area and was floating down on inner-tubes with a couple friends. We couldn't make the 90 degree turn and ended up going right into it. I got sucked under, pinned for only a few seconds, but it felt like forever, then violently shoved through to the other side and tossed around in the white water. I agree that there should be warning signs AT LEAST!! I managed to escape with some major cuts and bruises. I was so lucky that day! I know a little bit about the dam since I'm from the area and they say at least one person dies every year on that same dam! Anyway I know yall wanted pics of the dam and I actually went back up there a few days after and took some video footage with my digital camera. I thought I would share it with everyone. It's on You Tube the address is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMPXcKdNA_Q

Enjoy

greyhair biker
07-14-2007, 08:50 PM
wow dude! glad youre okay - and welcome to the site!
...really, something needs to be done about this! This is deplorable to think that at the least, the water board or county or someone can't or won't get a handle on this. I smell a lawsuit a brewin!

Sombeech
07-15-2007, 10:01 AM
I was searching because only days after (July 3rd) I went through this same dam!! I am from the Idaho area and was floating down on inner-tubes with a couple friends. We couldn't make the 90 degree turn and ended up going right into it. I got sucked under, pinned for only a few seconds, but it felt like forever, then violently shoved through to the other side and tossed around in the white water.

WOW! Another one? This is ridiculous. You even pinned for a bit? :scared: People want to think that my brother & friends are just a strange coincidence, that they are inexperienced, and just don't follow directions very well.

Welcome to the forum. :2thumbs:

By the way, we can embed your youtube video here. Thanks for shooting it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMPXcKdNA_Q

accadacca
07-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Whoah thats cool. Thanks for the video! :popcorn: