PDA

View Full Version : August canyons?

Alex
07-02-2007, 06:55 AM
Well my wife is leaving town sometimes in August and I definitely want to do a couple of canyons while she is gone. So what's a good canyon(s) to do in the heat of August? :ne_nau:

I am thinking first part of August....

Thanks guys :2thumbs:

stefan
07-02-2007, 07:06 AM
Well my wife is leaving town sometimes in August and I definitely want to do a couple of canyons while she is gone. So what's a good canyon(s) to do in the heat of August? :ne_nau:

I am thinking first part of August....

keep in mind that it's in the heart of flashflood season ...

the watery canyons of zion are wonderful that time of year

rockgremlin
07-02-2007, 08:02 AM
keep in mind that it's in the heart of flashflood season ...

Yes, I was thinking just that. In fact, I was gonna start a thread devoted to August "flash-flood-friendly" canyons, maybe this thread could be just that.

Keep in mind, no canyon is 100% safe during a flash flood, but there are definitely canyons where exits are plentiful, and tight narrow sections are few and far between. Here are a few that I can think of -- please feel free to contribute to this list:

1. Quandary -- The majority of the canyon is wide open, and tight narrows are few (if any?). Don't dawdle in the tech section if a downpour threatens.

2. Cameltoe -- Actually, this canyon is at it's best when it is flooding. If rain looks like it might spoil your canyoneering plans, head to the Moab, and do Cameltoe. The waterfalls in this canyon are spectacular!

3. Lomatium -- If you can find it, Lomatium is another great canyon that is pretty safe from flash floods.

4. Elephant Butte -- Not really a canyon, but definitely a canyoneering route. Just watch out for lightning while on top of the butte.

5. Burro Wash -- Many exits and walk-around ledges make this canyon another flash-friendly candidate. Don't dawdle through the last two rappels if a downpour is imminent. In fact, the last two rappels can be completely bypassed if you're getting rained out.

Others?

FOX
07-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Hey, the Squeeze is a lot of fun in August! :roflol:

Iceaxe
07-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Zion in August :2thumbs:

Best get your permit reservations ASAP.

Alex
07-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Zion in August :2thumbs:

Best get your permit reservations ASAP.

How do we do it and where do I get them? Any info? Are you going? :nod:

Iceaxe
07-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Yeah... I'd be interested in doing a weekend Zion deal. I'd have the check and see which weekends I have open.

The permit website is here:
https://zionpermits.nps.gov/

To reserve a particular slot canyon go here:
https://zionpermits.nps.gov/backcountry.cfm?TripTypeID=3

Looks like things are pretty wide open at the moment except for Mystery.

If ya get a permit for Behunin I think I'll stay home and jab myself in the eye with a stick since it would be more fun. :haha:

:popcorn:

marc olivares
07-02-2007, 12:12 PM
pick some dates Alex and we'll hit it!

CarpeyBiggs
07-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Count me in, suckas.

Oh wait, am I invited?

Alex
07-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Hell ya Dan you are invited :nod:

Shane, what canyons should I shoot for then? And post your available dates asap. I am thinking the 1st or 2nd weekend of August. I could even do a leave Thursday night type of deal if someone is interested.

marc olivares
07-02-2007, 12:30 PM
i'm in

rockgremlin
07-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Kyrell and I are lookin at the last weekend in July for a Zion trip. Wanna rendezvous?

Alex
07-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Kyrell and I are lookin at the last weekend in July for a Zion trip. Wanna rendezvous?

Is it the 27th?

rockgremlin
07-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Either the 27th of July weekend

OR

August 3,4th

Somewhere in there....much of it depends on Kyrell's schedule...hullo? Kyrell?

Alex
07-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Ok let me pry the schedule out of my wife and I will let you know. I would really like to hook up. Marc/Dan/Shane, are you guys available that weekend?

CarpeyBiggs
07-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Ok let me pry the schedule out of my wife and I will let you know. I would really like to hook up. Marc/Dan/Shane, are you guys available that weekend?

Always :nod:

Iceaxe
07-02-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm free August 4th-5th (Sat-Sun).

Or August 11th-12th (Sat-Sun).

:five:

FOX
07-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Either the 27th of July weekend

OR

August 3,4th

Somewhere in there....much of it depends on Kyrell's schedule...hullo? Kyrell?

Both of those weekends are good for me. A Saturday-Sunday combo with a drive down Friday night will be the most likely.

rockgremlin
07-02-2007, 06:37 PM
I'm thinking Aug 3/4 would be best. Any objections?

All in favor say "aye."

FOX
07-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Aye! :banana:

CarpeyBiggs
07-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Aye!

Alex
07-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Looks like I am good to go, the wife is leaving another weekend, but I got the permission for the Aug 3rd weekend :2thumbs:

nelsonccc
07-02-2007, 11:12 PM
I'm free August 4th-5th (Sat-Sun).

Or August 11th-12th (Sat-Sun).

It's about time you guys do a UUtah get together down our way. I was starting to think you guys never came south of Moab. I want in, though it was mighty hot up there this past weekend. I've got a friend who lives in Hurricane who often will run up to the desk on the day before and pick up extra permits if we need them.

rockgremlin
07-03-2007, 06:04 AM
It's about time you guys do a UUtah get together down our way. I was starting to think you guys never came south of Moab. I want in, though it was mighty hot up there this past weekend. I've got a friend who lives in Hurricane who often will run up to the desk on the day before and pick up extra permits if we need them.

What the heck'r you talkin about? We did the Black Hole recently, and that's over 100 miles south of the Moab. :lol8:

rockgremlin
07-10-2007, 07:26 AM
OK, so I am thinking that a Keyhole/PineCreek combo on Sunday would be fun. I would like to do something a little more technical on that Saturday though. I understand Orderville permits have been acquired, but the stairs going down to my basement would be considered more exciting IMO. So far, permits are available for the following canyons: Echo, Spry, Behunin, and Heaps. Everything else has "walk-in" permits available. Of course there is also the possibility for non-permit canyons like Misery and Red Cave. Does Eye of the Needle require permits?

So, let's everyone weigh in and get something planned!

CarpeyBiggs
07-10-2007, 07:43 AM
Eye doesn't need permits, but you risk the wrath of Shane if you trespass to get into it... :lol8:

Boundary also doesn't require permits. I'd be happy with Spry, Boundary, Eye, or Fat Man's, or perhaps a more interesting entrance into Orderville, like Birch or Englestead.

Alex
07-10-2007, 07:48 AM
Sorry I couldn't grab Englestead for Saturday, they were all taken. :frustrated:

rockgremlin
07-10-2007, 07:56 AM
Boundary is a good call.

Here's my top three list for Saturday:

1. Boundary
2. Eye
3. Birch

CarpeyBiggs
07-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Boundary sounds good to me, though it will be hot, and it is not flowing currently.

Iceaxe
07-10-2007, 08:28 AM
I understand Orderville permits have been acquired,

Were not doing Orderville... that's just our cover :haha:

rockgremlin
07-10-2007, 08:34 AM
I understand Orderville permits have been acquired,

Anticipating a PM....

CarpeyBiggs
07-10-2007, 08:34 AM

Ah? Care to expand? Sounds like we are short a couple of permits for O-ville for the whole group, (at least I apparently don't have one...) so should we reserve some more permits, or split the group?

Iceaxe
07-10-2007, 08:56 AM
Anticipating a PM....

Alex told me you bailed on us so I might have given your Saturday permit away..... if we were going to use those to begin with.

I'm not sure what the Saturday plan is yet.... Were currently discussing several different options....

But NO, we don't have permits for either of you on Saturday at this time. Heck... not even sure if anyone has a permit yet because were still working on a plan.

:rockon:

CarpeyBiggs
07-10-2007, 09:00 AM
Well, since we are still sorting out a plan... I am open for Friday too, so if anyone wants to be around then, we can get after something else as well.

Iceaxe
07-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Just for the record..... I think Alex, Adam and myself will be driving down Friday night. Depending on what we do we might get a motel, at least for Saturday night. Sitting around the pool drinking beer after a fun day of canyons is very appealing to me. Much more appealing then trying to sleep in a tent that has been baking in the 108 degree sun all day long.

After Dan's last trip doing Too Dry I'm guessing he is about to learn a whole new way of doing canyons :lol8:

CarpeyBiggs
07-10-2007, 09:38 AM
After Dan's last trip doing Too Dry I'm guessing he is about to learn a whole new way of doing canyons :lol8:

No doubt about it... Looking forward to it. Should be a great time.

rockgremlin
07-10-2007, 09:40 AM
Ok then, my fallback position is Boundary on Saturday. I'm game for anything else that may come up, but for now that's where I stand. Let me know if you're in, or wanna propose doing something else.

Iceaxe
07-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Ok then, my fallback position is Boundary on Saturday.

You do know this involves hiking out the MIA is the heat of the day. :eek2:

I'll pass on this option.

I'm really looking for something with water. :2thumbs:

If someone is going to be down Friday and can pick up permits for Saturday what do you think of a Das Boot/Subway combo platter.

Iceaxe
07-10-2007, 09:56 AM
We can also use the Orderville permits to do **cough** canyon, just have to pick up a couple extra permits for the extra people.

CarpeyBiggs
07-10-2007, 09:56 AM
Das Boot sounds nice, but we'd have to be down there pretty damn early to get a permit for a weekend, methinks. I won't be down that early... Perhaps we could get one for the Sunday, but we'd have to be in line early Saturday.

Rock, I'm down with Boundary on Saturday. Really, the MIA isn't THAT bad.

Iceaxe
07-10-2007, 10:00 AM
You never know about Subway permits. I've picked them up Saturday morning for a Saturday descent. Just need to make sure you have a good fall back plan if the permits are gone.

Sunday we are doing Pine and Keyhole because Alex and Adam have never done them. I think we have 10 permits reserved for this. This will also allow us to get home at a descent hour on Sunday.

rockgremlin
07-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I'm in on the Sunday plans, and I'm guessing Kyrell is too.

As far as Saturday goes, Boundary is still lookin like a viable option, but if Das Boot (or something else wet and cool) becomes available, I'm all over it.

Iceaxe
07-10-2007, 10:22 AM
FWIW: The monsoon season should hit Southern Utah in the next week or so.... I expect the Zion canyons to have at least one good storm before our trip. Our trip is planned right in the middle of the traditional monsoon season so back up plans are also a good idea.

Iceaxe
07-10-2007, 11:25 AM
OK, I'm trying to get a count so we can do some real planning....

Ice
Alex
Adam
Rockgremlin
Kyrell
nelsonccc
Friend of nelsonccc
CarpeyBiggs

Is this correct? Did I miss anyone so far? Anyone on the list who should not be?

:rockon:

nelsonccc
07-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Das Boot sounds nice, but we'd have to be down there pretty damn early to get a permit for a weekend, methinks. I won't be down that early... Perhaps we could get one for the Sunday, but we'd have to be in line early Saturday.

Rock, I'm down with Boundary on Saturday. Really, the MIA isn't THAT bad.

My friend lives in Hurricane and will go up early Friday morning to get permits for us. Let's just decide on a canyon, figure out how many permits we need, reserve what we can, and then send Jason up for the rest. Works every time we do a canyon.

Looks like Keyhole/Pine is locked in for Sunday. I vote no for anything going up MIA. We were out on the west rim a couple weekends ago on our way to Heaps and it was way fu**ing hot. I'd consider Eye/Boundary/Goose!!! with a hike out the bottom. It would be a long day but doable.

I'm okay with Das Boot but perhaps we should look at an entry farther upstream to prolong the day so we exit in the late evening? How many hookers do you want me to bring up from vegas? Any body want some real beer?

FOX
07-10-2007, 09:00 PM
I have zero desire to do Keyhole again. There has got to be another Sunday option.

CarpeyBiggs
07-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Kyrell, what about Spry?

CarpeyBiggs
07-10-2007, 09:58 PM
My friend lives in Hurricane and will go up early Friday morning to get permits for us. Let's just decide on a canyon, figure out how many permits we need, reserve what we can, and then send Jason up for the rest. Works every time we do a canyon.

Dang man, that is some kinda friend. This is worth considering, but I think Shane has something up his sleeve. If the group gets bigger though, I think two groups might be a good idea. In which case I'd be happy to do a left fork variation. Also, if some people don't want to do Pine, I'd be happy to try something else, maybe an early morning run through spry, and spend some time in the swimming holes before heading for home?

Iceaxe
07-10-2007, 10:06 PM
I think Shane has something up his sleeve.

I'm kinda working on something a little special for Saturday. I'm just to busy to get all the details together today. I'm 95% positive we can get permits but we would need them Friday evening.

The Saturday group is locked at the members listed 3 or 4 posts ago unless you clear things with me. If anyone wants to bail on the Saturday surprise you need to also let me know.

I'll try and get all the details together in the next couple of days.

rockgremlin
07-11-2007, 07:38 AM
Soooooo....my revised plan is:

Saturday: Iceaxe surprise

Sunday: I agree with Kyrell in that Keyhole is probably 37th on my top ten list for that weekend. I would be down with Pine Creek though, and maybe something else.

Alex
07-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Is keyhole that bad? You guys seem to want to avoid it like a pile of puke. :ne_nau:

CarpeyBiggs
07-11-2007, 07:48 AM
Is keyhole that bad? You guys seem to want to avoid it like a pile of puke. :ne_nau:

No, Keyhole is good. It's just been done a thousand times by most... And it is super short.

FOX
07-11-2007, 07:49 AM
I don't mind an early start Sunday and Spry sounds like it'd be a cool option. Haven't done Pine yet either so I'm still good with that.

Alex
07-11-2007, 08:51 AM

No, Keyhole is good. It's just been done a thousand times by most... And it is super short.

Guess it shows how much of a noob I still am :blahblah:

Oh well, the only way to catch up is to go out and play :2thumbs:

hesse15
07-11-2007, 09:08 AM
keyhole is nice ,
but as soon you are getting all excited you are at the exit
the whole think take less than 1 h including approach.

and you still need a permit.
but is worthed doing and you can take friends and they will have fun.

:nod:

Guess it shows how much of a noob I still am :blahblah:

Oh well, the only way to catch up is to go out and play :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
07-11-2007, 09:41 AM
FWIW: There is actually an upper section to Keyhole that is seldom done that is nice and adds length of the route. I'm guessing the upper section is seldom done because it is not mentioned in any of the guides.

Heck, at one time folks would take the short cut and eliminate everything between the hoodoo and first rappel.

:ne_nau:

CarpeyBiggs
07-11-2007, 09:49 AM
FWIW: There is actually an upper section to Keyhole that is seldom done that is nice and adds length of the route. I'm guessing the upper section is seldom done because it is not mentioned in any of the guides.

When we were down there a few weeks ago, the upper part was bone dry, and because the canyon walls are fairly shallow it was very hot...

Felicia
07-12-2007, 01:08 PM
I enjoy Key Hole as a nice warmup after being stuck in the car for 6 hours. A good way to get ready for the next day's canyon on the agenda.

Iceaxe
07-28-2007, 08:26 PM
It looks like everything will be filled with water for our trip. :banana: