PDA

View Full Version : Question about insect repellent clothing treatment

wader
07-01-2007, 10:02 AM
Hi, I notice a bunch of reports on this form and others that mosquitoes are fairly fierce currently in the Uintas and the Winds. I was wondering if anyone has used clothing treatment based insect repellent?
Here is a link for one at REI:
http://www.rei.com/product/751264
Does this product or analogous products work? And if so how well?

Thanks in advance.

Alex
07-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Link doesn't work for me.... :ne_nau:

wader
07-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Oops, not sure what I did wrong. The link it to a product called:
Sawyer Permethrin Pump Spray
a google search will find many hits (including the REI link). There are apparently a few different types for this specific brand, I am not sure if there are other brands that offer a similar product. It intrigues me to be able to treat some clothing with this stuff, and not have to worry as much about repellent for backpacking trips. Anyone tried it?
Thanks

brookiekiller
07-03-2007, 07:18 AM
Yes, I do use it. It does help with bugs biting through clothing, but they still will drive you to insanity. I know some people go buy it at Home Depot (permethrin) and dilute it with water to get to .005 - that is what Sawyers is. I just use sawyers.

Alex
07-03-2007, 07:38 AM
I just did the same thing to my clothes, you can buy it at REI. It's at the bottom of the bug spray stuff. It comes with a handy bag, gloves, and a rope and very easy instructions to follow. It's like $5.95 per container which treats 4 particles of clothes. It's a lot cheaper than buying BUZZOFF clothing. The REI dude told me the soaking stuff lasts about 6 washes and then they recommend to resoak your clothes.

wader
07-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Excellent, I'll have to give it a try. It sounds like you are both suggesting to still bring the repellent along though. Thanks for the replies.

Alex
07-03-2007, 09:23 AM
You have to, the BUZZOFF clothes and the self soaking method work good (according to REI dudes), but it only works on the covered area. The guy told me that the bugs might still land on the clothes, but they wouldn't hang out very long.

What you have to worry about is the skin exposed area still, such as face, hands, neck, etc. That's where you'd use the DEET or some other methods.

wader
07-03-2007, 09:34 AM
One more question: Does this stuff stain or change the feel or performance of the clothes? e.g. the breathability or wickability?

Alex
07-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Not sure about breath ability, but it does not stain it, I just did it 2 days ago and it looked good, no smell either.

rooster32
07-12-2007, 10:08 PM
It works pretty well. I used it on a turkey hunt this past spring in Texas. The ticks where really bad, but I was the only one who didn't spend 30 mins pulling them off when we got back to camp.

I am heading to Alaska tomorrow and have soaked a bunch of fishing shirts and pants in the stuff for the trip.

wader
07-13-2007, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the reply, I have bought some and plan on using it in the Winds in a few weeks. Thanks again.

packfish
07-16-2007, 10:02 AM
All the products such as Tri-Tech and Endure have pyrethins (sp) as one
of the main ingredients. It is naturally produced by a species of
chrysanthemum plants , a neurotoxin on insects. Really is pretty darn
good stuff and works well and lasts longer. I have pack goats and use it on my pack and theirs. I spary in on a small rag and put in on my dogs collar also and wipe it a little on her- I like the stuff.

DirkHammergate
07-26-2007, 10:19 PM
I did a quick overnight on Pioneer to Moon Lake with the boys, we got munched like I've never been munched and I really didn't notice the insects. We all woke up with big ass bites, my 4 year old had dried up blood and I have so many bites on the lower sections of my legs I've been semi-ill since Tuesday night. The day after sucked big time.... we continually sprayed all night and day too!