PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report SW Colorado's Calico Trail

Brewhaha
06-30-2007, 10:04 AM
For those of you wishing to find an alternate to the High Uinta Highway, I would recommend the Calico Trail in SW CO between Rico and Dunton. This trail is a 12-20 mile (depending on access) through trail that wanders through 7 or 8 named peaks and stays above 11k most of the time. The main difficulties of this trail are that water and campsites are not easily accessible. We used snowmelt while we were on top and would have had to hike down off the ridge to access any streams (doable but difficult). Also, there is only one campsite that is close to the trail. Other sites could be found by dropping off the ridge (again, doable but difficult). If anyone wants more specifics feel free to ask.

Here are some pics of the trip I took with my son.

goofball
06-30-2007, 04:39 PM
looks liek a blast. i like colorado, very pretty. lived in durango a summer and wish i had been as into teh outdoors then as i am now. still was always out and about, even if it was lounging at lakes or going up engineer.

accadacca
06-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Very cool Brew. Nice fotos and write up. :five:

Caddis
07-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Very nice, great picts and report. Looks like I am going to have to think about that one, definitely added to my list.

Thanks