PDA

View Full Version : Any bug reports from the Uintas?

FirstTracks
06-27-2007, 11:32 PM
We were thinking of heading up this weekend, but I'm still hesitant because I prefer to wait until the mosquitoes calm down. Has anyone been up there recently with beta to share? Can you advise roughly where and at what elevation you were?

Thanks in advance. I just stumbled upon this forum about a week ago and it looks like a terrific resource.

mudjumper
06-28-2007, 01:48 AM
Here's one:

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7508

Russ

Mtnman1830
06-28-2007, 05:13 AM
A friend just went this last weekend, and he said they were horrible.

FirstTracks
06-28-2007, 05:57 AM
Hmmm...maybe I should wait another couple of weeks.

Thanks, folks. Mudjumper, I'd missed that Spirit Lake report - I scanned a bunch of reports but being relatively new around Utah (2.5 years) the name hadn't jumped out at me as a place in the Uintas. I've done prior trips to Clyde Lake and Bench Lake, and was contemplating heading this time to the Marsell Mt. area or somewhere near Grandaddy Lake.

thruhiker02
06-28-2007, 09:13 AM
Was up at Moosehorn, Blue Lake, etc and on the Spring Canyon Rd.(041) last weekend and there were bugs, but the wind was stiff and they were not bitting much. You may be good the winds are forecast to be 10-14 MPH this weekend in the Uintas.

brookiekiller
06-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Last year I went to Marsell Lake and it was very nice - nobody else was there. A ranger came by to make sure I was camped 200 feet away from the lake and wasn't building a fire. You can almost guarantee seeing a ranger in the Grandaddy area. The bugs were pretty bad as well.

I posted the Spirit Lake Report, and the bugs were very bad. If you stopped hiking for a minute, you were in misery. They bit through my clothing, and fishing was a chore. I also went hiking in the Ruth Lake area of the Mirror Lake Highway and they were bad there as well. I am going on my first overnight trip in 2 weeks - hopefully they will be gone by then.

fouristhenewone
06-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Here is another - I went a couple of weeks ago and it was miserable.

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7377

FirstTracks
06-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks again. I'm still bouncing back and forth in my mind on whether to go or wait.

Last year I went to Marsell Lake and it was very nice - nobody else was there. A ranger came by to make sure I was camped 200 feet away from the lake and wasn't building a fire.

I looked at the regs but couldn't find anything specific against building a campfire aside from temporary restrictions put into place when conditions warrant. Was this a temporary restriction, or am I missing something?

CarpeyBiggs
06-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Please don't build a fire this year unless you absolutely need one in the Uintas. The fire danger is high, they leave horrible scars, deplete the land of deadfall, and are just plain unnecessary, except in rare circumstances.

Anyways, just my two bits. I'm a fire hater, at least in defined wilderness areas.

Jaxx
06-29-2007, 07:41 AM
Please don't build a fire this year unless you absolutely need one in the Uintas. The fire danger is high, they leave horrible scars, deplete the land of deadfall, and are just plain unnecessary, except in rare circumstances.

Anyways, just my two bits. I'm a fire hater, at least in defined wilderness areas.

WHAT ABOUT SMORES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CarpeyBiggs
06-29-2007, 08:09 AM

WHAT ABOUT SMORES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess if you want to backpack in enough goodies to make s'mores, you probably have enough strength to pack in a stove to melt the chocolate over... :lol8:

stefan
06-29-2007, 08:32 AM
yup, i'm with dan on this one, i am strictly against fires in wilderness areas unless, perhaps, one's life is at stake.

brookiekiller
06-29-2007, 09:23 AM
This is the second year of fire regulations in the Uintas. You are now not allowed to have a fire within 1/4 mile of some of the lakes - the lakes happen to be the most popular. Every lake in the Granddaddy Lake area is under this rule and it is enforced heavily. Check the forest service web site to get an exact listing of lakes.

I agree with the others about fires. They are more trouble than they are worth, and a stove is a lot better.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/ashley/news/2006/huwcampfirerestrictions0607.pdf

FirstTracks
06-29-2007, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the explanation, Brookie. I was admittedly unaware.

Well, we've decided to go for it and do the Lofty Lake Loop this weekend. I'll report back with a TR and photos afterward.

KillEmAll
06-29-2007, 11:38 AM
Ugh... no campfire? You guys are just plain twisted.