PDA

View Full Version : Geocaching Trip

Mtnman1830
06-26-2007, 08:48 PM
This last weekend, myself and four other geocachers with on a geo-road trip.

The point of the trip was to find and place a geocache in every county in Utah.

Our stats are as follows:

5 Cachers (Shphilby, Mtnman1830, PeanutsParents, kimbest, Quark999)
30 Counties Found (29 Utah, 1 Wyoming)
30 Counties Placed (Duchene 2)
2 Run ins with Authorities :roll:
57 hours 17 min (Total time to find and place all counties)
1557 miles traveled
19 State Parks Visited
2 Phone-a-Friend Lifeline Hints :ne_nau:
$600 gasoline
All 5 cachers with 100+ finds for the weekends
1 Ride from stranger's watercraft (Yuba State Park) :five:
1 FTF (Piute Co) with less than perfect coordinates
1 dead bird
Hundreds of pictures
2 States (Utah, Wyoming)
4 Garmins, 1 Magellan
2 Laptops
3 cases water
Hundreds of strange looks (Maybe thousands !)
40+ U-turns
5 Tired individuals

fourtycal
06-26-2007, 10:01 PM
Man that sounds like a ball!

For years I have watched the "cache across utah" cache. When I first started caching no one had done it but now 47 people, man I need to get back into this game. I have more than half the counties but to do them all in one trip must have been huge! good work! :hail2thechief:

Mtnman1830
06-26-2007, 10:26 PM
It was great! We drove from 6-7 am until 10 or 11 for three days.

You should get back into the action. There are some neat caches being placed and some interesting locations.

Here is the group that went on the Cache Across Utah run.

caverspencer
06-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Man that sounds like a ball!

For years I have watched the "cache across utah" cache. When I first started caching no one had done it but now 47 people, man I need to get back into this game. I have more than half the counties but to do them all in one trip must have been huge! good work! :hail2thechief:

I would guess that closer to 30-35 of the 47 are people that have actaully completed it. I see logs on the cache often of people who dont understnad what they have to do. Now Ad0or has placed a cache at the location people find it thinking they have found cache across Utah.

Way to go Mtnman. You dont know how badly I wanted to call in sick when we were standing around at the send off in the morning waiting for you guys to take off. Work I was ok with skipping out on, but since I am the only coach for my sons baseball team skipping out the game Saturday just wasnt an option. But I wanted to come soooo bad!!
Maybe next time...

Im still waiting to hear the stories behind the following

2 Run ins with Authorities

2 Phone-a-Friend Lifeline Hints

1 Ride from stranger's watercraft (Yuba State Park)

1 dead bird

RugerShooter
07-05-2007, 01:18 PM
That sounds like fun I didn't know you were doing this one. So lets here more on the run-in with the authorities.

RugerShooter
07-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Since MtnMan1830 won't answer the question I will post the answer, I found it on the UTAG Website

Leaving the Run-ins to us, huh?

Well, anyway, we were going to a State Park. We grabbed the first cache, and a bonus cache was posted on the lid. The cache was on our way out, and as we got out of the vehicles to grab it, the parks officer stopped us and told us that the park has been closed,and we were welcome to come back when it opened at two the next afternoon.

We told him we didn't see the sign saying the park was closed, and told him what we were doing. He said "everybody says they didn't see the sign" After a bit of persuasion, he let us grab the cache and be on our way.

The second time was the same, The parks officer caught one vehicle and told us to leave because the park was closed, and the other vehcile was able to grab that cache.

Rule of thumb, read the signs that we couldn't see. All we saw were signs that the park closes at ten pm. (http://www.utahgeocachers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3673&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=270)