PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Snowbasin -- Couple of quick photos

W
06-25-2007, 09:50 PM
Hey kids! Did a quick afternoon of hiking up at 'Basin yesterday, thought a few folks might like to see some photos of the area. BTW, holy crap I forgot how much altitude affects hiking endurance! Been spoiled by all this < 7,500' elevation foothills hiking this spring! Man did I feel out of shape... 'course, whoever the heck made the John Paul access road so @)^&#$%# steep should be shot! :lol8:

Very dry up there this year vs. this time last year. Not completely surprised considering the winter we had, but was still not expecting it to be as dry as it was. The pond just below the Needles Lodge was completely dry, and the Middle Bowl cirque had very little snow left -- last year there was a good solid snowfield up there still around this weekend.

Anyway... time to make with the pics! :popcorn:

velox
06-26-2007, 08:45 AM
Here are some pics of a moose I saw there on the same day. This will be my first atempt to post pics here so I hope this works!

Alex
06-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Did you poke the moose with a stick to make sure he was alive? :haha:

Just kidding :five: thanks for the pics and a TR!

W
06-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Here are some pics of a moose I saw there on the same day. This will be my first atempt to post pics here so I hope this works!

Hey velox! Great to run into ya up @ Needles (at least I think that was you, if my memory hasn't completely gone bonkers! :haha: )

Was that the moose down around tower 13 on the gondola? The gondola operators didn't tell me about him 'til I got down to the bottom again (actually overheard them telling someone else about it) -- the people right behind me said they saw him not once, but twice (on the way up and the way down)... couldn't believe I had missed him both ways! Have to keep an eye out for him & his rack next time I get up there.

velox
06-26-2007, 09:13 AM
Yes that was me.

I can't remember what tower # it was but 13 sounds about right.

I have seen moose at that location a bunch of times, so I knew to look. I should have told you about it but it slipped my mind till I got on the gondola, sorry.

Last year a cow and her baby hung out there all the time.

velox
06-26-2007, 09:17 AM
Did you poke the moose with a stick to make sure he was alive? :haha:

Just kidding :five: thanks for the pics and a TR!

Yes I did, he was alive.

BTW the pole was 75' long! :cool2: