PDA

View Full Version : Let's say I break into your house

Iceaxe
06-25-2007, 01:56 PM
:soapbox:

Recently large demonstrations have taken place across the country protesting the fact that Congress is finally addressing the issue of illegal immigration.

Certain people are angry that the US might protect its own borders, might make it harder to sneak into this country and, once here, to stay indefinitely.

Let me see if I correctly understand the thinking behind these protests.

Let's say I break into your house.

Let's say that when you discover me in your house, you insist that I leave.

But I say, "I've mowed your lawn, trimmed your trees and weeded your garden. I'm hard-working and honest (except for when I broke into your house).

According to the protesters:
You are required to let me stay in your house
You are Required to add me to your family's insurance plan
You are Required to Educate my kids
You are Required to Provide other benefits to me & to my family

My wife will make all the beds, wash the dishes, do the laundry and swept the floors. She will do all the house work because she is also hard-working and honest, except for that breaking in part.

If you try to call the police or force me out, I will call my friends who will picket your house carrying signs that proclaim my RIGHT to be there. It's only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house than I do, and I'm just trying to better myself. I'm a hard-working and honest, person, except for well, you know, I did break into your house.

And what a deal it is for me!!!

I live in your house, contributing only a fraction of the cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can do about it without being accused of cold, uncaring, selfish, prejudiced, and bigoted behavior.

Oh yeah, I DEMAND that you to learn MY LANGUAGE!!! so you can communicate with me.

Why can't people see how ridiculous this is?!

Only in America! :flag:

http://www.abanet.org/publiced/youth/sia/cartoons/riogrande2.jpg

Alex
06-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Hey English is my second language, what's the problem with US Citizens to take up a second language.... English! </sarcasm>

It's very sad that whenever you go to a store, fill up your gas at a gas station, read a bill, dial a phone, look at a job application, you actually have to look for or select the English language. It's said that the signs at Walmart are 50/50% font size with Spanish. It's sad that I have to dial 1 for English calling any American company. It's sad the schools are forced to hire Mexican teachers. It's very sad.... and I am not even a native English speaker.

jumar
06-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Why can't people see how ridiculous this is?!
The polls I've seen show that Americans DO see how ridiculous it is. It's the politicians that are ignoring what Americans want. Write to bennett and hatch and let him know how you feel.

CarpeyBiggs
06-25-2007, 02:49 PM
And then I take a step back and realize I am living in one of the most affluent nations in the world, and realize there are BILLIONS who have it a lot worse than I do.

Sorry if people disagree with me, but I don't feel like anyone ever broke into my house and stole anything.

jumar
06-25-2007, 03:22 PM
And what of the law? I'm for legal immigration, and think it should be made easier for people to come to this country and share in our affluence. I want them to come, but we need to enforce our laws or laws are worthless. How do you decide which laws you'll abide by and which you'll break? If you don't like the law, take steps to change it. But in the meantime we need to enforce the ones we have and try to prevent more people breaking them.

shlingdawg
06-25-2007, 03:26 PM
If someone breaks into my house and I find them, I can shoot them.

Maybe we need to make it legal to shoot illegal aliens. We can take our trophy's to a taxodermist and have them mounted in life-like poses. Maybe it will deter more from entering our country illegally if we have some of their countrymen hanging on our walls? :naughty:

CarpeyBiggs
06-25-2007, 03:30 PM
And what of the law? I'm for legal immigration, and think it should be made easier for people to come to this country and share in our affluence. I want them to come, but we need to enforce our laws or laws are worthless. How do you decide which laws you'll abide by and which you'll break? If you don't like the law, take steps to change it. But in the meantime we need to enforce the ones we have and try to prevent more people breaking them.

I agree... But... But...

I'm a young guy, so as long as I can remember it's always been this way. But I reserve the right to be wrong on this matter. To me though, it seems it's just a recent craze it seems to stir up controversy about the illegal immigration situation. (Perhaps to divert attention from Iraq???) The way I see it, if it really has been such a huge problem for so many years, why are we just waiting until now to make a big stink out of it? The laws have always been there, why have they never been enforced before?

And I also don't like the pathetic (as in, appealing to emotions...) attempts to try and make the illegal immigration argument one that pits "us" vs. "them" or paints the illegal immigrants as "thieves." Problem with that is it stirs up more hate and anger, instead of focusing on real data and real solutions. I feel like most peoples reaction to illegal immigration is one of emotion and anger, when I generally feel like most illegals are here simply trying to create a better life for themselves.

Now as for solutions... I don't have any, per se. But I'm open to suggestions.

CarpeyBiggs
06-25-2007, 03:31 PM
If someone breaks into my house and I find them, I can shoot them.

Maybe we need to make it legal to shoot illegal aliens. We can take our trophy's to a taxodermist and have them mounted in life-like poses. Maybe it will deter more from entering our country illegally if we have some of their countrymen hanging on our walls? :naughty:

:lol8:

Iceaxe
06-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Maybe we need to make it legal to shoot illegal aliens. We can take our trophy's to a taxodermist and have them mounted in life-like poses. :naughty:

:lol8:

Two Illegal alien tags with every combination licence..... and the extra money goes to support better wildlife habitat.... looks like a win/win situation to me.

:rifle:

oldno7
06-25-2007, 05:53 PM
saw this was moved so looked in the obvious spot---HUNTING--not there.

Seems the polititions side have a hard time with the word "ILLEGAL"

It's the LAW,enforce it until our democratic society changes it!!

the monetary burden on us is outrageous

The benefits are overstated.

jumar
06-26-2007, 06:32 AM
To me though, it seems it's just a recent craze it seems to stir up controversy about the illegal immigration situation.
The subject seems to be brought up in waves, for a variety of reasons. But it has been talked about for years, and a lot of things have been tried in the past, such as amnesty. But obviously what's been tried hasn't worked. I also think the public is now realizing more than before how big a problem it's turning out to be. The number of illegals is growing very rapidly and needs to be addressed. Not to mention the national security risk of having an open border.

The laws have always been there, why have they never been enforced before?
Exactly!! That's a big part of why the public is so upset. We depend on the government to secure our borders and they're not doing it. I know I'm very upset that our representatives are not doing what the public is asking them to do. Bennett is a perfect example, his consituency has flooded him with calls and emails asking him to vote against the latest immigration bill, and he's voting for it anyway. He acknowledges that it might be very bad for his political career but is doing it anyway. What happens when those that represent us no longer care what we want? Maybe that should be a clue to those who want to be more dependent on the government. :haha:

Rev. Coyote
06-26-2007, 07:58 AM
ANYONE coming to this country should be required to learn the native language: Cherokee.

jumar
06-26-2007, 11:43 AM
Want to see how your senators voted?
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=110&session=1&vote=00228#name

Hatch (R-UT), Nay
Bennett (R-UT), Yea

TreeHugger
06-26-2007, 07:55 PM

I agree... But... But...

I'm a young guy, so as long as I can remember it's always been this way. But I reserve the right to be wrong on this matter. To me though, it seems it's just a recent craze it seems to stir up controversy about the illegal immigration situation. (Perhaps to divert attention from Iraq???) The way I see it, if it really has been such a huge problem for so many years, why are we just waiting until now to make a big stink out of it? The laws have always been there, why have they never been enforced before?

And I also don't like the pathetic (as in, appealing to emotions...) attempts to try and make the illegal immigration argument one that pits "us" vs. "them" or paints the illegal immigrants as "thieves." Problem with that is it stirs up more hate and anger, instead of focusing on real data and real solutions. I feel like most peoples reaction to illegal immigration is one of emotion and anger, when I generally feel like most illegals are here simply trying to create a better life for themselves.

Very thoughtful and well voiced.

Cirrus2000
06-26-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm just impressed that you know how to spell "per se". :2thumbs:

Rev. Coyote
06-27-2007, 06:55 AM
My issue with immigration is that it adds to the population level, plain and simple. However, I would agree with a plan that goes like this: For every immigrant coming into the US we ship out one neocon to Saudi Arabia. Why Saudi Arabia? Becuase it's an oppressive theocracy and they'll be real happy there. And I want them to be happy. Because I'm a compassionate elitist.

Cheers,
Thurston Howell III

JP
07-03-2007, 07:53 AM
you actually have to look for or select the English language.It's sad that I have to dial 1 for English calling any American company.
What about Puerto Ricans that come to this country? Could this be one of the reasons that Spanish is an option? Wouldn't this make things a little easier for them to adapt? It's unfortunate that illegal Mexicans speak the same language as well as the rest of South America's illegal's and they can gain from this.