PDA

View Full Version : Wind Rivers and mosquitoes

TreeHugger
06-20-2007, 04:02 PM
We have planned to go up to the Wind Rivers next week so I've been doing some research on line. I keep reading trip reports by people talking about how ridiculous the mosquitoes are - like having to walk to eat and staying shut into the tents and roasting because that was even more tolerable and people leaving early because they are so bad...

So - anyone have experience with this? Is this a trip better planned for the fall?

Thanks in advance,
Tree.

spiraleyes
06-20-2007, 04:36 PM
Bring lots of high powered juice, and you'll be fine. They do get real nasty, so be prepared for it. I wouldn't say that it's so bad that you'd need to cancel your trip. With the cold front that came through a couple weeks ago, many of the bugs got wiped out, so this really isn't a bad time to head up.

Get a small bottle of 90% deet, as well as the highest potency spray. With that combination, you can avoid total misery :nod:

CarpeyBiggs
06-20-2007, 04:58 PM
Been there in some UGLY situations. I've seen it so bad you couldn't read the logos on peoples shirts, the bugs were so thick. Couldn't even fish without my bare hand being destroyed while trying to unhook a fish. It was nuts. I think it tames down after the first two weeks of insanity though. We went the first week of July. Take netting, for sure.

born2fish
06-21-2007, 12:32 PM
After about the 3rd week in July it gets a lot better. I went end of June a couple years ago and they drove us nuts, we left a day early because of them. Only relief we had was when out in the middle of the lakes in float tubes or in a tent. If you've got head netting and gloves, it is not that bad. I just wait until late fall to go, colder, but no mosquitos.

TreeHugger
06-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks everyone. I think we've decided to wait til September to go.... I hate mosquitoes! :twisted:

born2fish
06-22-2007, 11:25 AM
If you go in September, have at least a 15 degree bag, but 0 is better and be prepared for some snow, up to 3 or 4 inches. Make sure you have a tent that can handle that. I'm sure I don't need to mention an extra 5 lbs of clothing layers, that you will need if you don't pack it and you won't need if you do.