PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing Wrong (Changing my Tire)

gonzo
06-19-2007, 08:56 AM
I went out to my garage to get my bike this morning and saw that my front tire was low. After a quick inspection I found a f***ing "goathead" thorn that had managed to penetrate my puncture resistant tires and tire liner. I got the tire off the rim fairly easily, patched the tube, but I couldn't get the tire back onto the rim.

The bead is so tight there's no way that anyone with less than superhuman strength could stretch it over the rim. I finally managed to work it on using my tire levers (which I understand to be a big no-no) but it took me over 20 minutes. I did all of the things you're supposed to do: deflate the tube, start opposite of the valve stem and work outwards with your hands, etc.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? Is it just the tires are too damn tight?

derstuka
06-19-2007, 09:16 AM
Are you spraying the bead with a soapy mix (or at least wet the bead) to help it slip on....it can make a BIG difference. Also, if you are using a tire with a "wire" bead, it can be harder to mount regardless.

It is easier if you inflate the tube to a low pressure until it holds its shape, insert it into the tired, and then try and mount the tire.

I usually put the rim on my lap, and pressure one side of the rim against my stomach and or legs as I work it around with my hands. I use one hand on each side, and work towards the middle. Tire levers are not a no-no, although some people do not use them, the can be very helpful. Try using one lever to start the bead, hook it around the spokes so it doesn't loose the bead started, and then work around from the other side and until you complete the bead.

live2ride
06-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Nice to see Derstuka back in the mix. There is also a step by step post somewhere here regarding this issue, it has been talked about in the past.

Mtnbiker
06-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Remember to pull the bead of the tire in toward the middle of your rim, which is the smallest diameter of the wheel. That should give you some slack when it comes to stretching the very last part of the bead onto the rim.

If you simply tuck the tire in the rim and work your way around, the tire will default to "open" position, pushing the bead out to largest diameter spot, which makes it near impossible to stretch all the way around!

Hope that helps :nod:

SprungShoulders
06-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Remember to pull the bead of the tire in toward the middle of your rim, which is the smallest diameter of the wheel.
Dingdingdingding! We have a winner. :2thumbs:

Also, Tioga Bead Wax. Much more convenient than a pale of soapy water, and you can toss it in your pack for those inevitable on-trail flat repairs.

And running DH tires on all my bikes, I've learned that it never hurts to carry a QuickStick lever in case a tire needs "encouragement" despite the best technique. The nicely rounded, thick edges of a QuickStick make it the least tube-abusive tool to coax a difficult tire onto the rim.

The best to get tires off? Park heavy-duty (metal) DH levers.

gonzo
06-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the advice everyone. Hopefully I won't have to change out a flat again soon, but I'll certainly keep these tricks in mind. Especially the one about pulling the bead to the middle of the rim.