PDA

View Full Version : Saturday, June 30th 2007 at 10:30 am - Spanish Moss Cave

jumar
06-19-2007, 07:57 AM
Saturday, June 30th 2007 at 10:30 am - Spanish Moss Cave
I will be leading a trip to Spanish Moss Cave on June 30th. I have had a lot of interested people talk to me over the last few weeks, but so far I have only officially filled 3 of the total 6 slots for the permit. If there is enough interest I will also lead another trip a few weekends later.

This is a beatifully decorated cave, and well worth visiting. It is not large in length, but sheer number of speleothems to look at extends your picture taking and slows your pace through the cave.

There is a strenuous hike up a steep sidehill to reach the cave. This cave also requires some basic vertical rope work. It is required that you have your own set of vertical gear and be familiar with its use. (Harness, rappel device, ascenders) Essentially a 40' free hanging drop, and another 100' of steep slope still on rope for safety.

Currently planning to meet at 10:30 in Provo, may shift earlier.
Email me if you have questions.
Trip Leader: Jason Baxter, jqbaxter23@yahoo.com

This is a great cave! To get the key to the cave you also have to go your first time with someone who has done the cave. So this is a great opportunity to get your foot in the door. I'd highly recommend trying to get on with this trip.

http://www.my-mania.com/caving/images/smdecoroct2.jpg