PDA

View Full Version : City Boy Checking in...

Kent K25
06-18-2007, 09:28 PM
The title is a little misleading, but not entirely. I grew up most of my life in the Sacramento area and didn't do a lot of outdoors stuff. I had a bike but just rode it around with my friends on the pavement, and had a fishing pole but didn't fish much, just now and then at the little "lake" in my neighborhood.

But, college transplanted me to Provo and the outdoors have been sneaking up on me little by little. I never liked mountain biking much but my dad made a trip to St. George to look at property and brought his 2 bikes with him, one for me to ride that he was then going to sell because it was too big for him. Well, after riding it I figured out why I didn't like mountain biking...I never had a bike that was big enough for me. I'm 6'5" so it's always been a bit uncomfortable. So my dad decided not to sell his bike and instead made it an early b-day present and I've been hooked (Mind you it's only been 2 months).

So I've got plenty of rookie rider questions etc... that I'm sure you'll all grow tired of once I get em going!

Oh and I've still got fishing gear but still suck at that too!

Anyway here's a pic or two...

The Bike...
http://www.teamillustrious.com/pics/347106.jpg

On the Bonneville Shoreline Trail in Orem
http://www.teamillustrious.com/pics/277106.jpg

Again

http://www.teamillustrious.com/pics/274106.jpg

Sombeech
06-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Hey, welcome to the forum!

I love the shoreline trail here in Ogden. Looks like the terrain is very similar.

Kent K25
06-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Nah, it's MUCH better in Ogden in my opinion. A little more hardpacked and a LOT more tree cover so you don't die in the heat. Of course I've only been on the Ogden section once so I can only base it on that experience, but all my rides on the Orem section have been fun, but less than amazing. I like the Provo section a bit more than Orem.

My bike pic above is actually from Ogden.

Sombeech
06-18-2007, 10:03 PM
My bike pic above is actually from Ogden.

Oh, OK, that must be Ogden Canyon right there then.

Kent K25
06-18-2007, 10:11 PM
You know better than I do, I'm not familiar with the area up there. We went form the Rainbow whatever parking lot up the climb to that point. I took the pic facing north if that helps any :ne_nau:

Sombeech
06-18-2007, 10:14 PM
I usually start at the top of 22nd street. Rainbow Gardens is on 12th. Then I ride south to where it starts to go back down to Beus Canyon.

Kent K25
06-18-2007, 10:15 PM
We'll actually be up there this weekend hopefully. I'll give that a try if we end up there.

W
06-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Hey Quente,

Welcome to the forums! Not a biker myself (the only action my bike has seen in the last 15 years is getting moved from one closet to another! -- not coordinated enough for mountain biking... then again, I'm not coordinated enough for snowboarding either but that didn't stop me... I digress) but great to have ya here!

BTW, if you're gonna be up in the OGD area this weekend anyway, might be interested to know that Snowbasin (http://www.snowbasin.com) opens for summer operations this weekend. Hiking the mountain up there last year I saw a ton of bikers enjoying the trails up there... heard it's a great place, but like I say, not a biker myself so can't give an opinion. It is a gorgeous place, though! I may just have to find myself hiking up there this weekend, get up high to get out of the heat. ;-)

Kent K25
06-18-2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks Wasquatch, I'll have to check into that.

Alex
06-19-2007, 05:19 AM
Hey welcome aboard, how did you find the site?

You mentioned newbie questions, don't feel dumb asking them, we all are pros on shoving our opinionated answers for any question :lol8:

This site is great for finding new places to go, hike, bike, climb, canyoneer, paddle, hunt, etc.

tanya
06-19-2007, 06:06 AM
Welcome :2thumbs:

Kent K25
06-19-2007, 06:26 AM
Hey welcome aboard, how did you find the site?

I first found it after doing a search for Utah mountain biking videos on youtube and finding one of sombeech's vids. Didn't sign up then (about 2 weeks ago) but then yesterday saw another of his vids posted on mtbr.com and got redirected here and decided to sign on.

accadacca
06-20-2007, 08:50 AM
Welcome and nice bike! :2thumbs:

Kent K25
06-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Welcome and nice bike! :2thumbs:

Thanks, gotta give props to pops for it, it's way nicer than I would have been able to justify if I had been buying one for myself.

stefan
06-20-2007, 11:54 PM
cool man, welcome to the site. :gents:

one of my very best friends grew up in sacramento too

Kent K25
06-21-2007, 06:36 AM
What Part?

stefan
06-21-2007, 09:58 AM
arden park

Kent K25
06-21-2007, 10:10 AM
Ahh, not too far away, but far enough that I wouldn't have run into him probably.

donny h
06-22-2007, 11:18 AM
Hi, welcome to UUtah.

sombeech's vids... saw another of his vids posted on mtbr.com... got redirected here

So, it was spam from sombeech that got you here?

Talk about irony.

:lol8:

Kent K25
06-22-2007, 12:15 PM
You got it, glad he was spamming though. I was entirely disinterested in the mtbr forums

greyhair biker
06-25-2007, 05:03 AM
:ride: welcome! a fellow biker - this group is a bit more exciting than that other group - you'll like it here!

Kent K25
06-25-2007, 09:12 AM
:ride: welcome! a fellow biker - this group is a bit more exciting than that other group - you'll like it here!

That's definitely the case so far