PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report TR - Hike to Lewis Lodge Anasazi Ruins on Cedar Mesa

taatmk
06-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Last Wednesday June 13, we hiked to a set off ruins on Cedar Mesa that I had never been to before. Following very sketchy directions obtained from various sources on the web, we located the ruins without too much trouble.

They are located in Arch Canyon. The Lewis Lodge Ruins are located precariously on a narrow ledge, running the length of a canyon wall. There are apporximately 44 rooms in the dwelling. Access to the ruins was guarded by a small stone wall. Along the ledge was a small spring and pool for water. This ruins were located in the most amazing location; completely protected from access either from above or below. Only through the small narrow ledge can one enter them.

Here are some pictures

oldno7
06-18-2007, 05:40 PM
wow great tr.
:2thumbs:
gonna give us any beta? :popcorn:

sparker1
06-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Wonderful find. They put those in an amazing place. Good report.

tanya
06-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Nice :2thumbs:

Brewhaha
06-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Good pics. Those ruins have always been among my favorite.

taatmk
06-18-2007, 08:54 PM
The Lewis Lodge Ruins are located off of the Elk Ridge Road past the Bear's Ears. Take a side road called the Milk Point Ranch Road till it drops off of the mesa. You will see a side canyon off of the main Arch Canyon eventually. Continue on the road until you see a fenceline, park there. Follow the fenceline on foot till you hit the canyon.

sparker1
06-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Darn, I was up that way while in Utah, but didn't know about these. I did go into Arch Canyon (driving) to see some ruins right on the ground. Not nearly as thrilling.

IntrepidTraveler
05-28-2014, 11:21 AM
These are some really amazing ruins. I've been there twice. Once when it was really windy and later in the day (didn't go all the way to the ruins), and another time when it was earlier and weather was better. Here are a couple of shots from that trip/

FYI, in terms of beta, you need to be firm of foot and strong of heart, as the exposure is exceptionally high both getting to it and traversing the ledge. I can't help but think that infant mortality due to falling was high in those days.

JOZO
02-25-2017, 05:45 AM
would like to explore Louis this April could use some help with directions from mule canyon to louis lodge

Iceaxe
02-25-2017, 07:43 AM
would like to explore Louis this April could use some help with directions from mule canyon to louis lodge

Everything you need to know about Lewis Lodge is here.

http://www.climb-utah.com/CM/lewis.htm

Have a great trip.