PDA

View Full Version : July 28th Ibapah Peak

caverspencer
06-12-2007, 06:41 PM
I am planning to hike Ibapah peak on Saturday July 28th. I will head out through Wendover Friday the 27th and camp somewhere in Granite Creek so we can get an early start to get the summit and down before it gets to hot.

This date is somewhat flexible so if you would like to go but cant make it that weekend please post a note with what weekend works for you.

I will post more exact details as the date gets closer.

Mtnman1830
06-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Well, Im as good as in for this. I need to get this peak. I have Kings Gilbert and Signal under my belt this is the last 'hard' one to get.

madsjim
06-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Count me in. I want to get this one also, so maybe we could have a good group together.

CarpeyBiggs
06-12-2007, 09:51 PM
I might be game as well, it's still aways away for me to nail down though.

gonzo
06-13-2007, 08:11 AM
Gotta ask the wife ( :crackit: ), but put me down as a "potential".

caverspencer
06-16-2007, 10:58 PM
I am thinking about bumping this one back until fall when things cool down out there. let me know you think?

Also I hear rumor of a closer route? I am all ears!

I planned my route based on: http://www.cohp.org/ut/Juab_7.html

madsjim
06-17-2007, 01:30 PM
I am good for any time. The summer does seem like a really hot time to go, but I like to suffer. From what I have been reading, Ibapah isn't nearly as bad as it sounds, I think a September date would be great time to do it.

caverspencer
07-08-2007, 09:11 PM
since the date is getting a bit closer its time to bring this thread back to life.

Does anyone know exactly how far one can drive up Granite creek?
I have heard a lot of different reports.

Does anyone know Dale Millsap and have any idea how I could contact him?

Sounds like July 28th weekend is still the preferred date. From what I have read it is a pretty well forested area. We should be in the trees for a lot of the trip until we get close to the summit. Im still game for the 28th, I will just bring a lot of water.

sounds like about 8 people are either planing on coming or consdiering coming. So after people begin to back out we should have at least 3 or 4 people on the hike.

Mtnman1830
07-09-2007, 05:00 AM
I requested the time off today... So I am in, unless I can't get coverage.

gonzo
07-09-2007, 08:01 AM
I'm out. I forgot that I'm hiking Mt. Whitney that weekend.

caverspencer
07-09-2007, 09:15 AM
I'm out. I forgot that I'm hiking Mt. Whitney that weekend.

That is best excuse you could come up with? You act like Mt whitney is some big deal.. Like its the highest high point in the US or something...

Surely you can come up with a better excuse than that...

Sounds like fun. We will be sure and think of you being about 4000 feet higher than us when we celebrate our little victory down below.

James_B_Wads2000
07-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Does anyone know exactly how far one can drive up Granite creek?

Have you read by TR from last year? Find it here: I love Ibapah! (http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3080)

Last year you couldn

madsjim
07-09-2007, 06:18 PM
I will plan on it as I said before. It may be advantageous to meet up in Salt Lake to carpool out. If everyone works like I do till 5:00 than we could do something like that, if not we can meet in Granite Creek.

Mtnman1830
07-09-2007, 06:21 PM
I am taking friday and sat off work, so I am game for most anything.

caverspencer
07-09-2007, 06:40 PM
[quote=caverspencer] Does anyone know exactly how far one can drive up Granite creek?

Have you read by TR from last year? Find it here: I love Ibapah! (http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3080)

Last year you couldn

James_B_Wads2000
07-10-2007, 08:24 AM
James,

Good to hear from you! Tahnks for all your input. You answered just about everything I wanted to ask Dale. Dales trip report was the last one for Ibapah on the COHP page http://www.cohp.org/ut/Juab_7.html that is why I wanted to contact him.

My understanding is the trip is around 14.5 miles round trip, with 5700 feet of elevation gain. Does that sound about right?

by my 2mph plus an additional 30 minutes per 1000' of elevation gain calculations that puts the trip at 10 to 10 1/2 hours. Does that sound to long?

Also wondering about water. I Usually try not to carry much more than 3 liters. How high up can water be found and treated shoudl I run out?

After reading Dale

Mtnman1830
07-13-2007, 06:00 AM
Got the weekend off of work. Anyone in the Ogden area that would like someone to split gas money???

caverspencer
07-14-2007, 05:12 PM
If anyone wants to carpool from Eagle Mountain I have room for 3. That probalby wouldnt work to well for Ogden area though.

My driving plan is to make a loop and either drive I-80 to wendover and down to Ibapah, and come back on the old Pony Express route or the reverse. Which I do first depends on who is riding with me and when we leave.

madsjim
07-14-2007, 06:54 PM
I work in West Valley close to I-80, so it would be easy for me to catch a ride with you Caverspencer. I think it would be awesome to do the loop. I have been out to Simpson Springs but haven't traversed the whole thing. I am game for anything, I like adventure.

CarpeyBiggs
07-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Guys, I'm out now. Looks like I am heading to the Wind Rivers that weekend... Perhaps next time.

caverspencer
07-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Wondering if those going would be game to hike up to the meadow near the saddle and camp Friday night instead of at the car?

I usually prefer not to back pack in if it can be done in a day just to avoid the extra weight, But my Black Diamond Light sabre Bivy arrived yesterday, so of course I was up late sealing the seams and what not. Now I am itching to get out backpacking and test it out.

So if anyone would be up to hiking up the night before let me know. That would be fun. It would also make it nice to be able to get the peak and be back to the trees before it gets to hot.

madsjim
07-19-2007, 05:40 PM
I think it is a great idea. I bet we could get pretty far up the canyon before it got too dark and that would be a great help in beating the heat the next day.

caverspencer
07-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Time to finalize plans...

Ok so backpacking is out, I have only had one other yeah vote for backpacking in the night before. So I am sticking to the original plans of camping in Granite Creek as far up as we can drive.

This is getting close so I want to talk about Carpooling plans.

I have room in my vehicle for 3 other passengers comfortable we could squeeze in a 4th passenger but that would mean 3 in the back seat, for a long trip. I sure wouldn't want to be the one in the middle.

I have Friday off work and would like to leave early morning Friday, and do the old pony Express road Friday. Ideally the best place for me to meet up with someone would be somewhere between my house, and 5 mile pass. But I would be willing to drive to Tooele. Even though tooele would be out of the way on the way out, coming back on I-80 is right on my route.

Does anyone know if the Walmart mind vehicles in their parking lot overnight? I would think we would be safe so long as there is not for sale signs on the vehicles.

Time for a role call, who is coming and when can you leave?

I would suspect we will have a Friday morning group and a Friday evening group.

Here is what I have so far:

MtnMan1830 has Friday off
Madsjim works till 5pm
LIfeluvr and son (when can you leave?)
Roadstr (90% sure he is coming, when can you leave?)
FireElemental (trying to get Saturday off, I presume he cant leave untill Friday evening)
Dorkteam6 (was going to try to come, If so when can you leave?)

Anyone else in?

caverspencer
07-24-2007, 10:07 AM
Update:
MtnMan1830 is not leaving unitl the evening, and I think most everyone else has to work Friday. So an evening departure it will be.

Does 6pm Friday eveing at the Tooele Walmart work? I would prefer earlier but I think lots of people work until 5pm.

We will also stick to the first plan of driving out I-80 and coming back on the old pony Express trail after the hike Saturday if time and energy levels allow.

madsjim
07-24-2007, 03:40 PM
It turns out I can get out of work at 2:00 in the afternoon. Meeting in Tooele would be a good place.

It sounds like it may be hard to pick a good time with everyone's schedules. Earlier time, later time, it doesn't matter so much to me. I prefer earlier but I am game to go at whatever time works with everyone's schedule.

caverspencer
07-25-2007, 11:35 AM
FYI Here is the driving route from my house

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r44/caverspencer/ibapah.jpg

madsjim
07-26-2007, 01:07 PM
What is the final decision on where we meet?

6:00 PM at the WalMart in Tooele?

If there are others that could leave before that but after 2:00 I would be interested.

caverspencer
07-26-2007, 02:09 PM
What is the final decision on where we meet?

6:00 PM at the WalMart in Tooele?

If there are others that could leave before that but after 2:00 I would be interested.

Still waiting to hear a final deciscion from Roadstr and Lifeluvr. Lifeluvr's son hurt his ankle but she was still thinking about coming without him.

If I dont get a yes from either of them tonight I will not plan on meeting them for the drive out, and if they show up out there, then great. If I dont hear from them tonight lets plan to meet earlier. For now lets say 4pm at the Tooele Walmart.

MtnMan and Athena_W will be leaving from Ogden at 6pm and will just meet us out there.

Mtnman1830
07-26-2007, 03:16 PM
Shphilby will be coming with us as well... Its my guess we will get to the trail head after 10:00...

madsjim
07-26-2007, 03:37 PM
4:00 at the Wal-Mart is great.

I will PM with some more.

caverspencer
07-26-2007, 04:49 PM
Okay the final word... Unless I hear back from LIfeluvr

5 of us are going.

Madsjim nad I are meeting 4pm at Tooele Walmart

Sphilby, Mtnman1830, and Athena_w are leaving from Ogden around 6pm and will meet us out in Granite Creek.

Anyone else coming, speak up, or I guess we will just see you out there.