PDA

View Full Version : Any Opinions on Olympus Cameras?

gonzo
06-08-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm thinking about buying yet another camera. I want something that's pocketable and somewhat rugged. I'm thinking about the Olympus Stylus 770 SW (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1287). It seemingly fits my requirements: waterproof, shock resistant, and freezeproof. (I've never actually had a problem with a camera freezing) But, it's a little more than I want to spend, and the buttons are so small it would be hard to operate while wearing gloves. (Seriously, the zoom buttons are the size of a pinhead. What happened to usability testing and focus groups?)

Any opinions on this camera? Or any other camera recommendations?

R
06-08-2007, 10:43 AM
I don't have this camera, but I did buy Abby an Olympus FE-230 for her birthday, based entirely on its size, which was very tiny (so she could carry it with her at all times). She gives it moderate use and so far likes it a lot. I've made some frames with it, and the files are decently sharp, if a bit noisy.

Win
06-08-2007, 10:45 AM
I just picked up the 720SW after my Canon SD died. You're right, the buttons are small and I do miss the viewfinder on the Canon.

I wanted a camera that my wife could use and that I could take on any canyoneering I might find time to do.

I am very satisfied with the picture quality, so far. I also have an older Olympus C5050 which has served me well.

Good luck,
Win

Alex
06-08-2007, 12:10 PM
kris keep in mind the Olympus camera is only 15fps movie clips

Movie Clips Yes, 640 x 480, 320 x 240, 160 x 120, 15 fps

I tend to take a lot of videos with my Pentax W10 and I really enjoy the 30fps in my clips. Other than that I think Olympus is a great camera. Get it from Costco so if there are any issues or don't like it, you can easily return it.

The only alternative to Olympus camera in the waterproof category is the camera I have W series, I think they are up to W30 now....

sparker1
06-09-2007, 06:22 AM
I have two Canons, but I bought my wife an Olympus (model discontinued) that is small, 10x zoom, 4 MP and has a viewfinder. It does a GREAT job for what it is....beautiful pictures that require very little editing, if any.

Wasatch Rebel
06-10-2007, 06:26 AM
I have an Oly D-580. I bought it reconditioned, so that may have bearing on the rest of this comment, but it's less than two years old and beginning to have problems with the zoom not retracting, and the camera not turning on, even with good batteries. And batteries have been a bone of contention with me since we got it--it really sucks them up fast. Other than that, I've liked the quality of the pictures it's taken and it has some nice features for a lower end camera.

accadacca
06-10-2007, 07:50 AM
I have an Olympus 6.1 mp C-60 and I love it. It has been a good camera. :five:

DirkHammergate
06-10-2007, 08:08 PM
We had an Olympus Stylus 300, 6.1 MP's I think, it went her direction in the divorce.... BBBEEEAYTCH!

Yeah, I liked it...

gonzo
06-11-2007, 06:19 AM
We had an Olympus Stylus 300, 6.1 MP's I think, it went her direction in the divorce.... BBBEEEAYTCH!

Yeah, I liked it...

Dirk...bitter? Nah. :haha:

Anyway, thanks everyone. Turns out REI was having a member's only sale this weekend, so I blew my camera budget on a sleeping bag and ski gear. Maybe next month.

It sounds like everyone has a fairly favorable impression of Olympus cameras, so when I decide to buy another camera I'm definitely going to take one for a test drive.

JP
06-11-2007, 06:46 AM
I've had several point & shoot Olympus cameras. The one I have now is the SP-350 which I use 4wheeling. They were all good and treated me very well for all the stuff they were put through. (falling, dragging, dust, etc.) And the pics were always good. :2thumbs:

the voice
06-17-2007, 02:25 PM
[quote="Alex"]kris keep in mind the Olympus camera is only 15fps movie clips

Movie Clips Yes, 640 x 480, 320 x 240, 160 x 120, 15 fps

I tend to take a lot of videos with my Pentax W10 and I really enjoy the 30fps in my clips. Other than that I think Olympus is a great camera. Get it from Costco so if there are any issues or don't like it, you can easily return it.

The only alternative to Olympus camera in the waterproof category is the camera I have W series, I think they are up to W30 now....[/quote

I don't think you can go wrong with Canon, Nikon, Olympus or Pentax.
It just depends on what you are after. My wife just loves her Optio W10.
It is great on the River, In the Snow and on the Trail. Great pics, great video and waterproof to boot.
Hera are some Links to Videos and Pics taken with the W10. If you can't get the Videos to work, I will post them on You tube.
The pictures are resized down huge. The W10 is a 6 megapixel camera, more than enough size. Hope this helps.

Hold On
http://www.ddfzone.com/player2.cfm?c=65&a=18

Rapid Riders
http://www.ddfzone.com/player2.cfm?c=68&a=21

Rainbow Riders
http://www.ddfzone.com/player2.cfm?c=64&a=17

Air Drop
http://www.ddfzone.com/player2.cfm?c=71&a=26