PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Dark Canyon

TreeHugger
06-04-2007, 08:11 PM
Well, we made it to Dark Canyon, it was awesome. Here are some pics, and captions to explain, from the weekend.

Sombeech
06-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Cool, so this is just outside of Moab?

TreeHugger
06-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Sort of... we went to Moab for a night on the way home because Scott had never been there.

We went to Dark Canyon, 6 to 70, down 24, past Capital Reef to 95 and then toward Lake Powell. To come back through Moab, we went more east on 95, past Natural Bridges to 191 and up to Moab.

asdf
06-05-2007, 06:53 AM
Looks like a good time. Nice pics.

Scott P
06-05-2007, 07:01 AM
Cool, so this is just outside of Moab?

It's actually a long way from Moab. It's near Hite on former Lake Powell. It's about 160 miles from Moab. Almost three hours.

DirkHammergate
06-05-2007, 08:22 AM
That trip looked like it ruled.

TreeHugger
06-05-2007, 10:23 AM

It totally did. :nod:

Cirrus2000
06-09-2007, 02:21 PM
I'll bet! I love that place. So, how was the heat? I remember we discussed it last month at the pub. Looks like you left for the climb out at the right time! I got caught by the sun just as I started up the slope...

I really liked the drive back to Moab from there, too. Stopped to check out White Canyon from the bridge, drove up to the ruins in Arch Canyon, took the short hike to the Butler Wash Ruins overlook, etc, etc. You guys?

TreeHugger
06-10-2007, 09:30 PM
I'll bet! I love that place. So, how was the heat? I remember we discussed it last month at the pub. Looks like you left for the climb out at the right time! I got caught by the sun just as I started up the slope...

I really liked the drive back to Moab from there, too. Stopped to check out White Canyon from the bridge, drove up to the ruins in Arch Canyon, took the short hike to the Butler Wash Ruins overlook, etc, etc. You guys?

Weellllllllllllllllllllllll, the heat was too heated for my taste! Fortunately we found a couple of excellent pools to swim in ! We started too late going down, and got caught on that scree slope at about 11:00 on.... it was 90s. WAY hot.

As far as the drive back, nope, didnt do any of the things you mentioned - no knowledge! We did drive through Natural Bridges and checked some things out. That was cool.
I think you should write a book: All the Cool Places Around Utah No one Knows About.
I'd buy it.
:2thumbs:

Tree.

stefan
06-10-2007, 10:59 PM
nice tree, way to push on through the heat ... love the vanagon pic as well as all the others!

it certainly is a wonderful canyon, deserving a descent from higher up at some point.

thanks for sharin' ... looks like you were enjoying yourselves. i dig the return from cedar mesa/dark canyon plateau through moab for dinner also ... well done.

Cirrus2000
06-11-2007, 09:14 PM

As far as the drive back, nope, didnt do any of the things you mentioned - no knowledge! We did drive through Natural Bridges and checked some things out. That was cool.
I think you should write a book: All the Cool Places Around Utah No one Knows About.
I'd buy it.
:2thumbs:

Tree.
I just happened upon those things. That was the good thing about coming out of Dark Canyon a day early - I had time to meander. Seriously, watch for signs as you're driving, that kind of thing. I'm totally used to rushing from one place to another, but even in places with which you're familiar, there are interesting sights. It's amazing what you find when you slow down and look around.

TreeHugger
06-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Thanks Stefan, it was a lot of fun!

Cirrus - very good advice, indeed! :-)