PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Zion Narrows

tanya
06-02-2007, 10:28 PM
After 3 years of hiking together just about every weekend, and mostly in Zion, you would think we would have done the Zion Narrows before! But we had not.

We had both done parts of it, but never the entire thing. It was fun hearing all Bo's SAR narrows stories. I could not believe the waterfall this one kid jumped off! He got a compound fracture and those poor SAR people had to carry him out.

We started at Chamberlain's Ranch... (which from the looks of it is about to be a gawd awful housing development by Slick Rock. I think that's who bought it anyway?)

The start of the hike, before we got to Deep Creek confluence was actually the most narrow and most photogenic. Then it opened up and got sunny, deeper water and slippery rocks. There were so many people in there. It's going to be like a zoo when the permits open it up to 80 hike thru's a day.

:nod:

Waterfall where boyscout jumped and broke his leg.

tanya
06-02-2007, 11:53 PM
Bo in Zion Narrows

tanya
06-02-2007, 11:55 PM
Zion Narrows

tanya
06-02-2007, 11:56 PM
Zion Narrows

tanya
06-02-2007, 11:58 PM
Zion Narrows

tanya
06-03-2007, 12:00 AM
more

Wasatch
06-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Cool pics. :2thumbs: I've never done the Narrows from the top, maybe someday.

sparker1
06-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Good shots, Tanya. Amazing that you had not done it before. I've only done up past Orderville Creek and back, but then I'm an old man (and you're a young chick).

tanya
06-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Cool pics. :2thumbs: I've never done the Narrows from the top, maybe someday.

Yeah.... it just always seems like a tourist filled hike and one to avoid, but it's one everyone should do! I was so impressed. Mostly with the start of the hike! The area after that waterfall... where the boyscout jumped is awesome!

tanya
06-03-2007, 05:27 PM
Good shots, Tanya. Amazing that you had not done it before. I've only done up past Orderville Creek and back, but then I'm an old man (and you're a young chick).

I bet we are actually close in age. :haha:

I went quite a ways up from the canyon when I was 20ish.... and have gone to Orderville many times.... did it as an exit for Mystery, Orderville, etc.....

But this is the first time from the top!

I am glad I got to go up there before Slickrock fills it with construction and homes. :ne_nau:

sparker1
06-03-2007, 06:55 PM
I bet we are actually close in age. Ha Ha

Yeah, if 15 years is close.

tanya
06-03-2007, 08:10 PM
I have never had this problem!!!! I just went through my photos and can't narrow it down to enough to make an album. I have so many shots I want to use! Dang!

Zion Narrows does rule!

oldno7
06-04-2007, 05:32 AM
so how many hours to complete?

we did orderville Sun. top to bottom,took about 6 1/2 hrs.

16 miles in the narrows has got to be a long day,then the return for your car--or did you have someone shuttle you?

nice pics as always

Bo_Beck
06-04-2007, 05:49 AM

16 miles in the narrows has got to be a long day,then the return for your car--or did you have someone shuttle you?

nice pics as always

We started around 6ish AM and got to our vehicle at the visitors center around 8:15ish PM. Total hike time (photo time :nod: ) somewhere around 13 or so hours? Then drove back to Chamberlain TH and arrived to pick up the Rover around 9:30ish! :ne_nau: Pretty long day but worth the whole experience!

tanya
06-04-2007, 06:43 AM

nice pics as always

You have to realize that I took over 1000 photos! It's hard to count your time when you have me and my camera along. :mrgreen:

tanya
06-04-2007, 06:46 AM

nice pics as always

We started around 6ish AM and got to our vehicle at the visitors center around 8:15ish PM. Total hike time (photo time :nod: ) somewhere around 13 or so hours? Then drove back to Chamberlain TH and arrived to pick up the Rover around 9:30ish! :ne_nau: Pretty long day but worth the whole experience!

If Bo was alone... he would fly through there! :nod: It would have been a short day, or if there is a hike without much scenery we fly... but the Narrows.... that was so photogenic :eek2: that I was taking photos just about everywhere except from Deep Creek to Big Springs. It was more open there and not as spectacular.

oldno7
06-04-2007, 09:04 AM

nice pics as always

You have to realize that I took over 1000 photos! It's hard to count your time when you have me and my camera along. :mrgreen:

Wow so 76.923 pics per hour :hail2thechief:
or 76.923pph

and how many times did ya trip while shooting :mrgreen:

Bo_Beck
06-04-2007, 02:32 PM

nice pics as always

or 76.923pph

I only took 130 pictures so I traveled only 13.1pph. Thanks for waiting for me! Only saw one slight trip the whole time :five:

tanya
06-05-2007, 07:15 AM

nice pics as always

or 76.923pph

See I do go fast. :roflol:

tanya
06-05-2007, 07:16 AM

nice pics as always

or 76.923pph

I only took 130 pictures so I traveled only 13.1pph. Thanks for waiting for me! Only saw one slight trip the whole time :five:

Slight :ne_nau: That one hurt! I got rocks stuck under my fingernails! :eek2: Dang slippery rocks!

Bo_Beck
06-05-2007, 07:25 AM

nice pics as always

or 76.923pph

Slight :ne_nau: That one hurt! I got rocks stuck under my fingernails! :eek2: Dang slippery rocks!

Coulda been worse like a sprained ankle or bunged up knee! Didn't keep ya from doing 76 PPH! :ne_nau:

oldno7
06-05-2007, 07:46 AM
We held steady at 25.384 pph in Orderville :mrgreen:

sorry for the hijack

tanya
06-05-2007, 11:57 AM
We held steady at 25.384 pph in Orderville :mrgreen:

sorry for the hijack

Orderville is awesome!!! I used my underwater casing on that trip but it made the photos too dark. I need to reshoot that canyon!

tanya
06-06-2007, 06:35 AM

nice pics as always

That shuttle ride is long but I like to do it instead of riding a commercial shuttle and having to be at a certain place at a certain time. (I don't think I could work a real job anymore or live in a city) :mrgreen:

It was funny to see all the rented sticks and rented 5-10 canyoneers out there!

oldno7
06-06-2007, 07:32 AM

nice pics as always

That shuttle ride is long but I like to do it instead of riding a commercial shuttle and having to be at a certain place at a certain time. (I don't think I could work a real job anymore or live in a city) :mrgreen:

yea about 1 mile from the river you start running into the "stick people"
I've seen them completely bent over putting all there weight on the sticks.
Think I'll just keep trusting my own feet and own balance.
be nice to us 5-10 people --although we own ours :mrgreen:

on a side note we did birch yesterday,had dinner at the t-bird blackened chicken and chasing tail, I seem to be hooked on chasing tail :haha:

tanya
06-06-2007, 07:42 AM

nice pics as always

on a side note we did birch yesterday,had dinner at the t-bird blackened chicken and chasing tail, I seem to be hooked on chasing tail :haha:

Awesome! Did you notice all the wait staff in the "Home of the Ho-made Pie" shirts! Honda did a commercial in front of the bird sign this last Saturday while Bo and I were in the Narrows.

Birch Hollow is one of my all time favorite canyons! Its fun with the short rappels that are not too bad to get onto, no permit required (as long as you don not exit through the Narrows) and the beauty! Favorite for sure!!!!

tanya
06-06-2007, 07:47 AM
Some more shots

CarpeyBiggs
06-06-2007, 07:58 AM
Tanya,

I have Orderville and some of it's tribs high on my hitlist right now. We should tag-team it, and we can go at a nice 50 or 60 ppm. Plus, I want to see this underwater housing in action. Do you have a full polycarbonate shell for your slr? Gotta be a heavy beast, I'd bet.

oldno7
06-06-2007, 10:22 AM

nice pics as always

Awesome! Did you notice all the wait staff in the "Home of the Ho-made Pie" shirts! Honda did a commercial in front of the bird sign this last Saturday while Bo and I were in the Narrows.

Birch Hollow is one of my all time favorite canyons! Its fun with the short rappels that are not too bad to get onto, no permit required (as long as you don not exit through the Narrows) and the beauty! Favorite for sure!!!!

yea I noticed the shirts--I fit right in(check my birch pics) they wanted me to do dishes or something :haha:

tanya
06-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Tanya,

I have Orderville and some of it's tribs high on my hitlist right now. We should tag-team it, and we can go at a nice 50 or 60 ppm. Plus, I want to see this underwater housing in action. Do you have a full polycarbonate shell for your slr? Gotta be a heavy beast, I'd bet.

We should. :five:

It's not an SLR... just a digital, but yes it's a full shell. Orderville was the first and last time I hauled it through a canyon! I tried it on the Grand Canyon River trip too and quickly put it away. I guess its just best for underwater photography.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/images/zion-orderville-c_jpg.jpg

Camera Underwater Casing in my hand in Orderville.

tanya
06-06-2007, 01:14 PM

nice pics as always

yea I noticed the shirts--I fit right in(check my birch pics) they wanted me to do dishes or something :haha:

:lol8: Will do!

tanya
06-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Getting closer to Zion Canyon --- The colors become more dramatic!

sparker1
06-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Tanya, that's a really good shot considering the poor lighting in the bottom of the canyon.

tanya
06-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Tanya, that's a really good shot considering the poor lighting in the bottom of the canyon.

Thanks!!!! That's cool to hear from a real photographer. :nod:

I am finally getting the hang of this slot canyon photography! (still have a long way to go though!) It feels so good to get this flash/fill balance more under control though! :five: I am still going through my photos..... Have about 20 more to look at. I am hoping for some good ones to post! :nod:

I love the color on these. :nod:

tanya
06-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Last Photos of the Narrows. I finally got through all mine from this trip. :nod: I told you guys there were a lot!

marc olivares
06-06-2007, 09:57 PM
great shots tanya
thanks for sharing
:2thumbs:

tanya
06-07-2007, 01:57 AM
great shots tanya
thanks for sharing
:2thumbs:

Thanks! :nod:

sparker1
06-07-2007, 08:19 AM
Great pics by a REAL PHOTOGRAPHER, and canyoneer.

tanya
06-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Great pics by a REAL PHOTOGRAPHER, and canyoneer.

I just follow around a real canyoneer and still shoot on auto. :haha:

But thanks. :ahh:

Win
06-08-2007, 05:31 AM
And, by the way, you do both very well! :2thumbs:

Win

tanya
06-08-2007, 08:33 AM
And, by the way, you do both very well! :2thumbs:

Win

Thanks! :nod:

I am really getting to the point I want to learn more about the camera and all the little buttons and stuff. It's frustrating that the books that come with the camera do little more than just give all the stuff a name.

gonzo
06-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Thanks for reminding me how much it sucks to be stuck in my office. Wish I were down there right now.

Cirrus2000
06-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Excellent pics, Tanya - thanks for sharing. Really whetting my appetite. Only 4 more months 'til I'm back... :frustrated:

tanya
06-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks for reminding me how much it sucks to be stuck in my office. Wish I were down there right now.

Yeah.. Zion is awesome! :2thumbs:

PS! Those shots are all taken with an Olympus! (since you are asking about Olympus on an another thread). I don't know much about cameras but my first one was an Olympus Manual OM1. I use to have my own dark room and develop my own black and whites. I want to get back into that. I loved that camera and have stuck with Olympus ever since.

tanya
06-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Excellent pics, Tanya - thanks for sharing. Really whetting my appetite. Only 4 more months 'til I'm back... :frustrated:

Thanks!

You spend so much time here you should just move. :haha:

tanya
06-10-2007, 11:07 AM
I have the album done for the narrows. Its a big one. :haha:

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/album2/index43.htm

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/album2/images/zion-narrows-zzzq_jpg.jpg

sparker1
06-10-2007, 03:35 PM
That's a really fantastic album. Both of you did very well. good compositions, nice colors, good exposures. This is something to be proud of.

tanya
06-11-2007, 06:56 AM
That's a really fantastic album. Both of you did very well. good compositions, nice colors, good exposures. This is something to be proud of.

Thanks Stan! I want to get all my older albums redone like this one. :nod:

dylej
07-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Tanya,

I am having a great time in the vacation house (I appreciate your hospitality). This is a great place for any family. I followed most of the trails in Zion and Bryce National Parks where you recommended in your site (http://www.zionnational-park.com). It looks like Zion Narrow would be a good candidate of the tomorrow's exploration.

tanya
07-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Hey Dyle!

Glad you are enjoying the house and the area! There is so much to do!

The Narrows are AWESOME!