PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know the conditions around Little Cottonwood?

The Dude
05-31-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm planning a day hike up around Alta to Lake Catherine and Twin Lakes. Anyone know if it's passable yet? I'll have my 7 year old son, so I don't want it to be too crazy.

Wasatch
05-31-2007, 01:34 PM
Have not been that far up the road yet. Been to 9,000ft. a few weeks ago at Lake Blanche and there still was some snow. There could be some snow fields still lingering around, maybe call the ski resort, they should give you a better answer, I hope. I say give it a shot, the drive up is very scenic and the hike to either lake is pretty short.

caverspencer
05-31-2007, 02:05 PM
I was up at guardsman pass in Big Cotton Last week. any south facing was pretty much dry. But on the North side there was still a few snow banks.

I will be up there again tonight and I will take a good look over toward twin lakes.

I think coming up from Alta you should be pretty safe, but from Brighton and silver lake trailhead there was still a lot of snow last week.

I will take a look tonight and report back what it looks like from Big.

Brian in SLC
05-31-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm planning a day hike up around Alta to Lake Catherine and Twin Lakes. Anyone know if it's passable yet? I'll have my 7 year old son, so I don't want it to be too crazy.

You should run into some snow.

Here's my favorite camera set:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/camera/mosaic/was_mtn.php

Neat-o real time views of Alta, etc. You can see if you look towards Devil's Castle and East Greeley, that there is snow on the usual aspects up there. I hear tell the summer road at Alta is partly clear, especially down low. The trail to Catherine's will no doubt have significant snow on it, methinks.

Hiked Circle All Peak last night in BCC and it was clear. Whoo hoo! One of my favorite short bust-a-sweat hikes.

I skied Alta back on the 17th of May. Still plenty of snow up there but going fast...

Looks like the White Pine trailhead is clear, to, who knows how far up. Bet a person could get a ways up that one before running into significant snow. Not Red Pine Lake, though, I'm bettin'.

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

goofball
05-31-2007, 07:38 PM

i went up to cathgerine monday. no snow on trail (road) at all. no snow on western bank of lake either. east shore is different, some snow over there. the trail continuing up to twin lakes was clear as far up along the slope as i could see, but there could maybe be some patches along the way.

also went up in maybird gulch tuesday. plenty of snow up at those elevations but hard packed and easy to kick step inot on slopes. lots of fun glissading up at the pass connecting w/ hogum fork !

The Dude
06-01-2007, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the follow up everyone. That gives me plenty of information.