PDA

View Full Version : hhalls creek

goofball
05-30-2007, 04:45 PM
anyone here know if halls creek has any reliable water source, year round or intermittent, below the narrows and beyond to the lake ?

Iceaxe
05-30-2007, 05:09 PM
Have your tried contacting the Capitol Reef Rangers? They might know. I believe in the late 1800's there was a homestead somewhere around Lower Hall's Creek. They had to be getting water from somewhere :ne_nau:

goofball
05-30-2007, 06:13 PM
Have your tried contacting the Capitol Reef Rangers? They might know. I believe in the late 1800's there was a homestead somewhere around Lower Hall's Creek. They had to be getting water from somewhere :ne_nau:

yeah, thought about contacting rangers. but honestly, it seems they usually know waaaaay less than one would think. much more practical to ask those who go and explore off the beaten paths.

so is the homestead site still down there ? i never heard about that before. i wonbder if they were irrigating up from teh colorado ?

Iceaxe
05-31-2007, 07:44 AM
I agree you get better beta from the forums than the rangers.

I just remember the homestead story from one of my old Powell boating maps. If I recall (and this is totally from memory) at full pool you could hike up Halls a short distance and visit the old homestead.

When I sold my boat I put my Powell maps somewhere and now I can't find them. Wish I could because I often wrote notes on them that would be very nice to have now days.

:popcorn:

Iceaxe
05-31-2007, 07:49 AM
I just noticed the homesteads are marked in Kelsey's Boating Lake Powell book. From the hand drawn Kelsey map it appears there were actually two homesteads. The first was Baker Ranch at about the current high water mark and located on the Black Trail. Second was Halls Ranch located about 4 miles upsream from the high water mark. Both sites were on the west side of the canyon.

goofball
05-31-2007, 10:53 AM
thnaks shane for more of the hostoric info. i got some neat info from teh canyons group as well about that stretch. it's always neat to hear such things, even if i never make it to final jeopardy. :haha: