PDA

View Full Version : Dogs up Mt. Olympus - leashed or unleashed?

hcraighall
05-30-2007, 12:08 PM
I do know that dogs are allowed up the Mt. Olympus trail. However, I have been told that they must be leashed at all times. Is this correct?

Scott P
05-30-2007, 12:17 PM
As far as I know, in Forest Service Run Wilderness Areas dogs must be leashed (don't know why Mt. Olympus would be different). I know in the BLM Wilderness Areas, they say leashed or under immediate voice command.

In any case, Mt. Olympus is a very popular trail and dogs should be leashed.

gonzo
07-02-2007, 07:36 AM
I took my dog (http://flickr.com/photos/kris247/tags/steve/) up Mount Olympus on Saturday morning. There weren't any other dogs on the trail, but the trail was plenty busy.

I managed to get The Steve stuck on some rocks when were trying to scramble for the summit. And trust me, carrying a 65 lb dog, who doesn't want to be carried, down a rock fall isn't easy. So, unless your dog is more of a mountain goat, you'll probably want to turn around at the saddle.

Even though we got a fairly early start (06:45ish) it was still plenty hot - be sure to bring lots of water. I had a gallon in my CamelBak, and between the two of us we managed to empty it with about a mile to go on the way down.