PDA

View Full Version : Moon House - Cedar Mesa

Iceaxe
05-30-2007, 09:51 AM
We visited Moon House Ruin last weekend. This is one of the best Cedar Mesa Ruins I've visited.

gonzo
05-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Wow, very nice. Yet another site to add to my ever growing list of places to go.

Iceaxe
05-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Moon House Route Description
http://climb-utah.com/CM/moonhouse.htm

gonzo
05-30-2007, 11:00 AM
You're trying to force me into joining COF, aren't you?

Iceaxe
05-30-2007, 11:09 AM
You're trying to force me into joining COF, aren't you?

You will join the Dark Side sooner or later..... the force is strong on the Dark Side :haha:

Brewhaha
05-30-2007, 08:19 PM
I was wondering when you would add this site to Climb-Utah.

Iceaxe
05-31-2007, 07:33 AM
I've wanted to visit Moon House for a long time and it worked out great for this trip.

:nod:

Iceaxe
05-17-2010, 09:04 AM
[B]New day dawns at southern Utah's Moon House
Southeast Utah

bobb169
05-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Did you find the rattlesnake who was at home on the trail? Was there both times when we went in and out the day we were there last month

Iceaxe
05-18-2010, 07:29 AM
The original pics are from a 2007 trip. I just tagged the article about permits to the bottom of an old TR to keep all the Moon House stuff together... so "no" we didn't see the snake.

Brewhaha
05-18-2010, 07:59 AM
Any difficulties getting a permit? What was the process?

MPH
05-18-2010, 09:48 AM
I have been going down to the Mesa for the past 10 years or so...have spent approximately 60 days in the area...I have never seen it very busy. However, the Moonhouse is awesome and does need protecting. I am not sure about anyone else on this site but I struggle giving out too much information on places in sites like this, TRs, etc. Especially, when ancient structures 100 of years old are involved. I never know who is going to get the information in the long run. Permits can be a pain but I want my children to check out some of the same places I have...I don't want to say "you should have been here 10 years ago or so..."

Random Thoughts...

Iceaxe
05-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Any difficulties getting a permit? What was the process?

According to the article above the permit limit has yet to be reached since it was implemented. The biggest day so far was 24 of the 36 permits. I expect Memorial Weekend will be the first time the limit is hit.

IntrepidXJ
05-18-2010, 10:27 AM
According to the article above the permit limit has yet to be reached since it was implemented. The biggest day so far was 24 of the 36 permits. I expect Memorial Weekend will be the first time the limit is hit.

Maybe.....but we were there last year on Memorial Day weekend and didn't see another person all day.

Iceaxe
05-18-2010, 10:50 AM
I have been to Moon House several times on busy weekends and only ever met one other group, which was a family of 5.

I fully expect the Moon House Permit system to quickly deteriorate into the same quagmire that canyoneers now experience in regards to Zion Backcountry permits.... its d

happyhiker
05-24-2010, 08:30 AM
I was actually at Moon House back in 2008. It was suggested to us by a couple we met out at the Citadel, Moon house was one of their recommended places that not a lot of people know about. However when we got there we were AMAZED to find 10-15 other people out there during our hour/hour and a half time slot we spent there. Not that I agree with the whole permit thing, but its sad when you find people climbing on and over things just because its 'not in a national park.'

Bo_Beck
05-24-2010, 08:37 AM
[QUOTE=Iceaxe;402574]I have been to Moon House several times on busy weekends and only ever met one other group, which was a family of 5.

I fully expect the Moon House Permit system to quickly deteriorate into the same quagmire that canyoneers now experience in regards to Zion Backcountry permits.... its d

Tucker
06-01-2010, 12:43 PM

Iceaxe
04-16-2012, 03:01 PM
UPDATE: Moon House is now limited to 20 people per day (was 35). I asked why the reduction in permit numbers and was told because they never limited out last year they decided to lower the number to 20.

:roll:

What a dumbass reason....

Anyhoo... they have already limited out a couple times this year...

I mean really.... what good is a limited entry permit if you can't send people away without being able to visit one onf the finest attractions on Cedar Mesa.

:popcorn:

Iceaxe
04-16-2012, 08:52 PM
The wife and I filmed this last Friday....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gbygVhUv5U

zzyzx
04-17-2012, 03:13 AM
...can't see vivo. :cry1:

taatmk
04-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Great description. And great place. One of the best on Cedar Mesa. I have been there twice, last time back in 2001. A very photgenic ruin. Additionally ruins up and down the same cliff band.

mattandersao
04-19-2012, 08:19 AM
Why didnt I go to moonhouse when I was camping close to this canyon two weeks ago?! How easy/hard to get permits? I should have my TR up in the next couple days.

Iceaxe
04-19-2012, 08:34 AM
In the past Moon House permits were easy to get as they never hit the limit in the first two years of the system. This year I know they have limited out a couple of times since lowering the number of permits. Last Friday I was the one that put them at the limit but we didn't pick up our permits until about noon as Moon House was our second option if the snow was to deep to get into the Doll House (which it was).

So... my thoughts are permits shouldn't be to difficult if you arrive in the morning or during a weekday, but they might be hard to come by on busy weekends and holidays. Part of the reason we did Moon House was I wanted to see it again before there are too many BLM hoops to jump through.

zzyzx
04-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Axe,
Was the road conditions to the TH good?
Is that road suitable for RVs?
Or so narrow, like the South Road to Bullet Canyon TH?
Thanks.

Iceaxe
04-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Is that road suitable for RVs?

Nope, high clearance vehicles only.

zzyzx
04-19-2012, 11:59 PM
Thanks for info.

Maya
04-25-2012, 08:47 AM
Incredible! Thanks for posting the video. That definitely put in on my list of must visit places :)

gnwatts
04-27-2012, 05:53 AM
The government opens up the road, too many people now, surprise! Now we have permits and quotas. I am going to see Moon House again someday, and I sure as hell am not going to ask permission. The State of Utah is doing some messed up stuff right now, on road rights of way. Join SUWA! Fight THE MAN.

Greg

Iceaxe
04-27-2012, 09:14 AM
The State of Utah is doing some messed up stuff right now, on road rights of way. Join SUWA! Fight THE MAN.

Since you are not from Utah you might not understand this..... but.... The one thing you can do to be certian things will remain a big ass mess is join SUWA.....

SUWA is so hated in Utah that folks will vote agaisnt a SUWA proposal, even if its the best idea, just because it's SUWA. Anything SUWA supports is doomed to failure.

canyonphile
04-27-2012, 10:27 AM
We got back from a trip to Cedar Mesa a couple of days ago, and thanks to me happening to see this thread before we went, we actually did go to Moon House ruins.

I can confirm that you need a high-clearance vehicle for all but about the first 3 miles of Snow Flat Road; we were with friends who had a F-450 dually, which was obviously had plenty of clearance for the road, we were still slamming around because of the slickrock drop-offs you have to negotiate along the road...would have been a more comfortable ride in a Jeep with heavy-duty shocks. Definitely not for any RV! We drove the road all the way to Comb Wash, and it got even worse in areas before finally dropping off the mesa and into the wash area.

We had no problem getting permits to the ruin; in fact, we had the place to ourselves the entire time, and never saw another car or person there. Given this was a Saturday in peak season with perfect weather, I was sort of surprised. The BLM ranger (my friends know him by sight and recognized him by name) that was apparently babysitting the site earlier in the day drove past us in his white Rubicon, so we could have easily hiked in there without a permit. So, probably best to aim for afternoon if you're planning to be a scofflaw :mrgreen:.

If we'd had more time, I would have liked to have hiked to the ruins we saw on either side of the main set, even though they weren't nearly as impressive as Moon House itself. Also, the canyon itself was really attractive, and looked to have some game/foot trails along the wash that you could easily follow, at least as far as I could see.

If you happen to go on a day when the sky is slightly overcast, you'll probably get better photos than on a bright sunny day like we had - too much contrast to get what I'd consider print-worthy photos.

gnwatts
04-27-2012, 02:54 PM
oops

gnwatts
04-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Since you are not from Utah you might not understand this..... but.... The one thing you can do to be certian things will remain a big ass mess is join SUWA.....

SUWA is so hated in Utah that folks will vote agaisnt a SUWA proposal, even if its the best idea, just because it's SUWA. Anything SUWA supports is doomed to failure.

I forgot to mention I enjoyed your original post.

I lived in Utah for a few years and live close by, so your statement (and really cute logo) is not a surprise to me. Your states desire to take over cow paths and waterways as "public rights of way" is unconscionable. It should be fought, and if SUWA is the only organization with enough balls to take on your corrupt state government then I will support them, and have. It's time that progressive leaning people in your beautiful state stand up for Wilderness, and fight the attitude that all wilderness is to be exploited. Utah does not deserve the honor of having these timeless landscapes within it's borders.
Even most of the rednecks around here in Colorado have come to the realization that continual exploitation of our land, air and water for profit (or worse) is not sustainable, and that real solutions are obtainable that benefit everyone (except the corporations that are paying off your politicians).
Greg

Edit:
The fact that a formerly hard to reach ruin in the middle of no where, is now in danger from over use, tells me something is not right.

Somebody needs to stop the State of Utah from doing more damage than they already have. I am optimistic that the state will eventually be stopped, but only if the people of your fair state decide that they have had enough. If SUWA is not the answer (or part of the answer) then someone else needs to step up and take immediate action, because it is desperately needed. Sorry for the rant.

restrac2000
04-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Moon House is a great place to visit in the off season. Didn't know they had gone to permit.

The ruin hasn't been hard to reach for decades, Greg. The region around there has a long history of grazing (and the roads to access the allotments). Met one rancher there when I spent the month of December in my trailer hiking the various drainages. Great people who have a long history of use on the mesa. Kind gentleman who didn't mind sharing his stories of exploring.

(As a Utah democrat I get tired of outsiders constantly simplifying the complexity of our land use problems. So easy to write people off as rednecks and unworthy.)

gnwatts
05-03-2012, 06:40 AM
My guess is that it was 2001, as that was the first time I saw the road open to Moon House and asked the ranger, who said it was that year. So not decades. When your state has a large percentage of it's land in federal control, expect "outsiders" (curious, messed up word) to have a say, especially when your state has proven that it will put economic/corporate interests above environmental concerns.

Also, what is so complex about it?

IntrepidXJ
05-03-2012, 07:14 AM
The road to Moon House is almost all on SITLA land. Just a very short section from the Cigarette Springs Road is not.

Iceaxe
05-06-2012, 08:11 PM
The fact that a formerly hard to reach ruin in the middle of no where, is now in danger from over use, tells me something is not right.

Somebody needs to stop the State of Utah from doing more damage than they already have. I am optimistic that the state will eventually be stopped, but only if the people of your fair state decide that they have had enough. .

A couple of errors.... Moon House has had a road to it since at least the 1960's as it shows up on my old maps... I don't know when the roads first appeared but it has been at least 50 years since "middle of no where" applied....

Next item... Moon House is on Federal land and is administered by the BLM, which is Federal... the state of Utah doesn't much say in how the ruin is protected.