PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Offshore TR

chickenlicken
05-27-2007, 05:12 PM
We made a quick run to San Diego last week. We boarded the Jig Strike out of H&M landing in San Diegoand 7 pm tuesday night then anchored off Coronado Islands in Mexico and spent a couple hours fishing for sculpin. We caught 4-5 in a couple hours then hit the bunks. I only slept a few hours then couldn't wait and got up to fish a little before light. About 7 am we moved a bit closer to the islands and began fishing for tuna. We had 4-5 hook ups and landed one. The seals and birds were such a nuisance. We lost one tuna to a seal right at the boat. We never really found the ticket for tuna but we did get into some nice rock cod and rock fish. everyone caught fish. We landed 1 shark, sand dab, 2 tuna, 6 cormorants, 1 seagull, and lots of rock fish. We returned to dock at about 7 pm. It was a great trip and great weather.

accadacca
05-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Thats awesome! What do they charge you to go out for a couple days like that?

Glockguy
05-27-2007, 09:26 PM
Awesome! How did they taste?

I will be going down off of Dana Point in about a month.

Sure is more fun than fishing freshwater. Here in the rockies you know well it is either a trout, perch, etc...

In the ocean you never know what you are going ot hook up with

REDFOX
05-29-2007, 06:22 AM
I not very familar with ocean fishing. Whats up with the eyes on those fish?

chickenlicken
05-29-2007, 06:33 AM
We got lucky on this trip...a business associate paid for the charter (around $1700), we just had to get there and rent rods, get mexico fishing licenses and pay for food and filleting. If you just show up and get on an open charter it may cost you a couple hundred for an overnight trip with everything included.

We had fish tacos last night. There is nothing like a fresh fish taco with some fresh salsa, cabbage, and limes.

Yeah those eyes were really bugged out. That is because they come up from about 300 ft in a matter of minutes. Their air bladder and eyes can't compensate quickly enough, so they bulge. There is really no point in throwing them back either because they float and the pelicans scoop them up in no time.