PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Backpacking Food?

spiraleyes
05-27-2007, 04:19 PM
What are some recipes or light weight foods that you guys like to cook when you backpack?

I like instant soups and potatoes.

I'm also a big fan of Gatorade powder.

tanya
05-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Bo brings some instant meals of some sort. Those are great on those long, cold nights we usually end up in some remote place.

Alex
05-27-2007, 08:34 PM
I prefer Mountain Houses.

accadacca
05-27-2007, 08:53 PM
I prefer Mountain Houses.
Ditto. :five:

Glockguy
05-27-2007, 09:23 PM
I just recently got into making my own foods. I bought a sweet food dehydrator and save lots of $$$ using it.

Ground beef is really easy to dehydrate as well. It is good to add to spaghetti, mashed potates, stuffing, etc.

I eat these meals on a regular basis at lunch at work, that way my stomach is used to it and I don't get sick when I am out in the mountains.

I also suggest looking into the "freezer bag" way of cooking. Basically you prep meals at home put them into freezer bags. All you have ot do when you want to eat is boild water, add it to freezer bag, and put the whole thing is a"cozy".(Fancy term for something that insulates, I use a beanie hat)

Oh and of course.....................

FISH!!!!

spiraleyes
05-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Excellent ideas, guys!

I actually came across a cool little unit that allows you to bake quick breads. I also found some powdered eggs for the recipes that call for eggs, that way I can just add some water.

Here's the unit, it's called the 'bakepacker'. Have any of you used them before?

http://www.bakepacker.com/index.html

packfish
05-29-2007, 06:50 AM
Cabelas actually has some that I think a few of them are better than Mountain House. Also really like the tuna in the foil packet, instant oatmeal and the ever popular mash potatoes in the foil packet. That first night I like a frozen steak- by the time I get to pitch a tent and set up camp it's just about right for grilling.