PDA

View Full Version : poverty flat to mineral gulch??

oldno7
05-25-2007, 05:07 PM
Is this a dooable good trip?
never have seen any beta on mineral.
how about mineral top to bottom?
any input appreciated

tanya
05-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Is this a dooable good trip?
never have seen any beta on mineral.
how about mineral top to bottom?
any input appreciated

Bo and I are looking at doing this one soon. John does have some beta on his website.

http://www.americansouthwest.net/slot_canyons/mineral_gulch/canyon.html

oldno7
05-25-2007, 06:06 PM
think we'll head down tomorow and start figuring it out.
taking poverty to the river and heading up.
Shane mentions 3 narrows from the bottom,
we'll start with those

Iceaxe
05-28-2007, 07:53 PM
I've only explored the bottom section of Mineral from the river, all non tech.

If I remember correctly the canyon has a paragraph or two in Kelsey's Hiking the CP book.

:popcorn:

oldno7
05-29-2007, 06:47 PM
would love to rappel off this,got a feeling it's not been done.

oldno7
05-29-2007, 06:52 PM
this panel is quite large and very faded

oldno7
05-29-2007, 06:56 PM
panel

oldno7
05-29-2007, 07:00 PM

oldno7
05-29-2007, 07:05 PM
took the liberty of naming this

oldno7
05-29-2007, 07:09 PM
one cave

oldno7
05-29-2007, 07:13 PM
inside cave-1 chamber

oldno7
05-29-2007, 07:19 PM
We hiked about 5 miles up to this canyon off mineral,most the hike after the first mile plus was open wash but the views were still Zionesque.

Will work on connecting the last 3plus miles.
may be technical,now if the wife and I can get someone to help us get canyoneering we would get this done and maybe drop the headwall with trained assistance,any volunteers? :mrgreen:

rockgremlin
05-30-2007, 07:43 AM
Wow! Incredibly beautiful canyon! Good eye to see that panel...at first I couldn't figure out why your wife was pointing at the wall.

montanablur
05-30-2007, 09:39 AM
Does the road drop below the white cliffs?

On google earth it seems like it does, but on TOPO it doesn't...

oldno7
05-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Does the road drop below the white cliffs?

On google earth it seems like it does, but on TOPO it doesn't...

yep--all the way to the river. I suggest stopping at the turnaround about 150 yds from the river.

I love atv's but was a little bummed to see tracks 3 miles up mineral and 4 miles down parunuweap.

We rode our 4 wheeler from the turnout at highway 9 to said turnaround. very well used trail.

canyonquest
05-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Has been. I thought it was not worth the effort. We totally missed the petroglyphs. :ne_nau:

oldno7
05-30-2007, 10:43 AM
looks similar but differant,might be your shot was higher.

looked like you could climb back out 100yds downstream to me.

didn't really see it as a destination canyon as much as just a nice place with a great backdrop to maybe get some training and experience.
would work out great for that if you can climb out where I'm thinking.
much to long to head down mineral.

oldno7
05-30-2007, 02:19 PM
the rock looks differant,was the arch pictured at the bottom of rappel?

canyonquest
05-31-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm certain it's the same spot even though the pictures look quite different. I remember the drop could be easily bypassed, but since we had ropes rappelling was the obvious choice. In addition to the petroglyphs, we also missed that arch. We were in quite a hurry. Started out at Mineral Gulch on Highway 9, went down to Parunaweap, turned around and came back out Meadow. Walked the Highway back over to Mineral. It was a long day.

oldno7
05-31-2007, 09:50 AM
I'm certain it's the same spot even though the pictures look quite different. I remember the drop could be easily bypassed, but since we had ropes rappelling was the obvious choice. In addition to the petroglyphs, we also missed that arch. We were in quite a hurry. Started out at Mineral Gulch on Highway 9, went down to Parunaweap, turned around and came back out Meadow. Walked the Highway back over to Mineral. It was a long day.

wow sounds like a really long day.

The pics I took are of a side canyon of mineral not mineral itself.

what was the bottom of meadow like?

canyonquest
06-01-2007, 10:03 AM
Ah now I don't feel so bad about missing the petroglyphs and arch. Do you have any coordinates for either of those? How big was that arch?

Meadow Creek was a slog with endless meanders. It might have just been a bad day for me though. I imagine there would be some very nice waterfalls just below the highway when there is flow.

tanya
10-27-2007, 04:49 PM
this panel is quite large and very faded

I was just given GPS coordinates to these.... Bo and I are headed there in the morning.

tanya
10-27-2007, 04:51 PM
took the liberty of naming this

What is the name?

tanya
10-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Ah now I don't feel so bad about missing the petroglyphs and arch. Do you have any coordinates for either of those? How big was that arch?

Meadow Creek was a slog with endless meanders. It might have just been a bad day for me though. I imagine there would be some very nice waterfalls just below the highway when there is flow.

Same question .... have the coordinates or directions on the arch?

If anyone wants to join us -- we are meeting on Highway 9, where you turn off to Mineral at 8am tomorrow morning!

snatch
10-27-2007, 06:51 PM
sweet!

tanya
10-28-2007, 05:52 AM
sweet!

I am headed out the door! I hope to see you there! I am in a reddish land rover. I think Bo and his friend are in a white truck.

oldno7
10-28-2007, 06:41 AM
Tanya
Sorry for the late response, I just saw this. I have the coordinates in my gps but can't find them so I took this off my topo usa and it should be quite close N37 12.443,w112 46.481(panel)as you head up canyon you will see the large arch in the wall to your left,under this arch are the petroglyphs

The huge headwall and arch are further up this canyon,towards the top it veers to your left. I called the arch #7 arch---cause it looked like the #7

tanya
10-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Tanya
Sorry for the late response, I just saw this. I have the coordinates in my gps but can't find them so I took this off my topo usa and it should be quite close N37 12.443,w112 46.481(panel)as you head up canyon you will see the large arch in the wall to your left,under this arch are the petroglyphs

The huge headwall and arch are further up this canyon,towards the top it veers to your left. I called the arch #7 arch---cause it looked like the #7

I just got home! What a cool hike! We did it the long way though since we wanted to explore Mineral. We hiked the rim then found a weakness to get down in to the canyon. Found the cave, found the arch and found the petroglyphs. Then we left through Meadow. That is a pretty little canyon. Feels good to stretch the legs!

Did you hike in through Meadow and out the same way?

tanya
10-28-2007, 06:03 PM

This is quite the drop! It is a long hike to go around it!

tanya
10-28-2007, 06:05 PM

This slot area is GORGEOUS!!!!!! I have not looked at my photos yet, but I think my camera LOVED it!!! What a surprise! It's spectacular!!!

tanya
10-28-2007, 06:11 PM

Yes it is!!!! We started at 8am and got done at 6ish pm. LONG DAY! But pretty! If you went through those pretty narrows, the arch, petros and caves are on the other side of them.

Bo_Beck
10-28-2007, 08:04 PM
looks similar but differant,might be your shot was higher.

looked like you could climb back out 100yds downstream to me.

didn't really see it as a destination canyon as much as just a nice place with a great backdrop to maybe get some training and experience.
would work out great for that if you can climb out where I'm thinking.
much to long to head down mineral.

Kurt...I think you are refering to the waterfalls in Meadow Creek. The drop in Miners Gulch is Long. We had to hike for maybe 2 miles along the eastern rim before I was able to locate a weakness (4th class) that took us nearly 700' to the bottom of Miners Gulch. I saw not one other option on the west rim as we looked across Miners Gulch or on the east rim that we hiked for 2-3 miles south toward the East Fork of the Virgin Once we made it to the canyon floor we then walked downstream maybe 3/4 of a mile? until Meadow Creek confluenced with Miners Gulch and then becomes Mineral Gulch. It was then a couple miles down Mineral Gulch to get to the petros, caves and arch. We then went up Meadow Creek several miles (4?) and bypassed 2 waterfalls. The first on the left side (this waterfall was maybe 40-50' high), and then the second that was maybe 25' high on its right side. We then split Meadow Creek and the drainage to the east in two and walked the ridge back to the Route 9. We exited exactly 3.5 miles from our vehicles parked east at the Mineral Spring Road and Route 9.

Bo_Beck
10-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Pictures from today.

tanya
10-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Some photos of Bo, the slot section and the petroglyphs

tanya
10-28-2007, 09:21 PM
more

Bo_Beck
10-29-2007, 07:35 AM
One more "Narrows Pic"

tanya
10-29-2007, 07:52 AM
Bo added this trip up and it was 16 miles. Great day of hiking!

oldno7
10-31-2007, 07:14 AM
Hi Bo & Tanya

When my wife and I did this trip we started at the bottom of the poverty flats trail, we headed up Parunaweap for a 1/2 mile or so and started up mineral to the confluence of mineral/miner and meadow cr. We did not go up meadow but continued a 1/4 mile upstream(miners) to the next canyon that comes in from the north. I had found this canyon while searching topos and it appeared to have a huge headwall. The first 100yds up this canyon is an arch in the wall(I'm sure you guys could see it hiking down miners) Under this arch was the panel I posted in the original thread.
We continued up this canyon a mile or so and indeed found a huge headwall, under the headwall was the #7 arch I posted earier, this canyon was a fun hike. We then reversed and went back down mineral-Parunaweap-up poverty trail.
I agree the first 3 sets of narrows in lower mineral are exceptional as is the cave but I think I missed the panel you guys posted.

Bo_Beck
11-01-2007, 06:50 AM
Tanya on top of a waterfall in Meadow Creek

Sombeech
11-01-2007, 07:59 PM
Nice pics, especially the glamour shot. :mrgreen:

http://uutah.com/forum/files/tanya1.jpg

Iceaxe
11-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Nice pics, especially the glamour shot.

Yeah Tanya, you are looking pretty hot in these pics :slobber:

goofball
11-02-2007, 11:35 AM
teh meadow creek fall from below -

http://inlinethumb29.webshots.com/25628/2892054720054335321S600x600Q85.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2892054720054335321NDgnXX)

would be nice to see i in fuler flow. this aws mid june.

also agree w/ what someone said before about the meadow creek slog. very sloggy indeed. better than a day at work though, but still...

tanya
11-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Hi Bo & Tanya

When my wife and I did this trip we started at the bottom of the poverty flats trail, we headed up Parunaweap for a 1/2 mile or so and started up mineral to the confluence of mineral/miner and meadow cr. We did not go up meadow but continued a 1/4 mile upstream(miners) to the next canyon that comes in from the north. I had found this canyon while searching topos and it appeared to have a huge headwall. The first 100yds up this canyon is an arch in the wall(I'm sure you guys could see it hiking down miners) Under this arch was the panel I posted in the original thread.
We continued up this canyon a mile or so and indeed found a huge headwall, under the headwall was the #7 arch I posted earier, this canyon was a fun hike. We then reversed and went back down mineral-Parunaweap-up poverty trail.
I agree the first 3 sets of narrows in lower mineral are exceptional as is the cave but I think I missed the panel you guys posted.

Thanks Kurt! We found the canyon, the petros and the arch! 7 does fit. :haha: We explored up that same canyon ... going back a little bit from that headwall and then scrambling up the mountainside. That is an okay exit but I think most would rather just go back up Meadow. Those petros are really weathered!

tanya
11-04-2007, 03:39 PM

would be nice to see i in fuler flow. this was mid June.

also agree w/ what someone said before about the meadow creek slog. very sloggi indeed. better than a day at work though, but still...

Very nice! How far did you hike?

I don't think it was a slog at all guys! It is a BEAUTIFUL stroll along a flowing streambed! Not much uphill... no too rugged..... just nice, yet remote and tough enough to feel like you did some exercise.

tanya
11-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Nice pics, especially the glamour shot.

Yeah Tanya, you are looking pretty hot in these pics :slobber:

My kind of man!!!!! :twisted:

Bo_Beck
11-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Photos from today.

tanya
11-04-2007, 05:01 PM
:cool2: Some more from today. The hike down Meadow is pretty, but that little slot side canyon "7" that Kurt found is really slotty... short, but slotty.

oldno7
11-04-2007, 05:48 PM
cool-- looks like you found it all. That fluted headwall is also impressive but I don't have the camera to shoot it.
Hey young lady---you're standing in my arch :2thumbs:
Your photo of the panel is impressive. :five:

tanya
11-04-2007, 06:00 PM
cool-- looks like you found it all. That fluted headwall is also impressive but I don't have the camera to shoot it.

That I am :haha: ... We found another arch right in Meadow Creek today. Way up high... Bo has a eagle eye! That panel is really weathered, but it was sunny so the photo shows a lot of detail. An 8pm camera does not hurt either. :nod:

That headwall is HUGE! Here is a photo of it taken by the arch. The other shot with Bo is a ways down the canyon. Here is also a shot from on top of the 'other' side cayon you thought you could scramble out of. It was not too bad. :cool2:

tanya
11-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Two Arches in Meadow Creek. One is way up high --- the blurry photo.. and the other is actually right below it.

oldno7
11-04-2007, 06:33 PM
some pics we took a week after the first visit

oldno7
11-04-2007, 06:50 PM
nother'

tanya
11-04-2007, 07:58 PM
some pics we took a week after the first visit

I guess this is just one of those places you have to go again... since both of us returned just one week after our first visit. :popcorn:

Bo_Beck
11-05-2007, 07:47 AM
[quote=oldno7]cool-- looks like you found it all. That fluted headwall is also impressive but I don't have the camera to shoot it.
[color=white]
That I am :haha: ... We found another arch right in Meadow Creek today. Way up high... Bo has a eagle eye! That panel is really weathered, but it was sunny so the photo shows a lot of detail. An 8pm camera does not hurt either. :nod:

Yeah...I only have a 5 Pega Mixel camera and its no good after 8pm! :haha:

goofball
11-05-2007, 11:46 AM

also agree w/ what someone said before about the meadow creek slog. very sloggi indeed. better than a day at work though, but still...

I don't think it was a slog at all guys! It is a BEAUTIFUL stroll along a flowing streambed! Not much uphill... no too rugged..... just nice, yet remote and tough enough to feel like you did some exercise.

we used meadow creek as entry to parunuweap. came down the trail just down canyon from teh falls and did not see anything above there. would ahve been nice to see the glyph's. next time...

tanya
12-12-2007, 07:54 AM

we used meadow creek as entry to parunuweap. came down the trail just down canyon from teh falls and did not see anything above there. would ahve been nice to see the glyph's. next time...

Mineral Gulch - Meadow Creek

Here is the info so that you can! Bo has it done.
The photo album is done as well.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/mineral-gulch.htm

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/album2/index49.htm

ratagonia
12-12-2007, 09:38 AM

Thanks - very nice.

So the big flute rappel is just above the #7 Arch. Is it also possible to climb out in this general area? How bad?

Tom

Bo_Beck
12-12-2007, 09:55 AM

Thanks - very nice.

So the big flute rappel is just above the #7 Arch. Is it also possible to climb out in this general area? How bad?

Tom

The big "Flute" that we didn't rappel on our trip up "7" canyon was the grotto that "7" arch sits in. So yes....the flute rappel is just upstream from the arch.

Bo_Beck
12-12-2007, 01:08 PM

Thanks - very nice.

Tom

Oh yeah! and the answer to the second part of your question: Yes...just downstrean 20 metres from the arch is a slab or crack scramble up to a wash. It's steep up the wash but by staying left you eventually scramble out the top onto a saddle. There is a wash on the other side of the saddle. We scrambled down into the wash and headed NE up the wash for a km or two until it intersected a road, We then followed the road right and it eventually put us back on Rt. 9 just a couple hundred metres west of the Mineral Gulch Parking area.

Bo_Beck
12-12-2007, 01:11 PM

Thanks - very nice.

Tom

Oh yeah! and the answer to the second part of your question: Yes...just downstrean 20 metres from the arch is a slab or crack scramble up to a wash. It's steep up the wash but by staying left you eventually scramble out the top onto a saddle. There is a wash on the other side of the saddle. We scrambled down into the wash and headed NE up the wash for a km or two until it intersected a road, We then followed the road right and it eventually put us back on Rt. 9 just a couple hundred metres west of the Mineral Gulch Parking area.

Heres a link to our map showing the extent of our exploring.
http://www.zionnational-park.com/map-mineral-gulch.htm

oldno7
12-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Theres a road about 3/4 mile upstream of the flute, last time there thats how we went in. Park just before the wash and hike down to flute.
I have coords somewhere of parking place and flute.

Kokopelli
01-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Would this hike be a good one to do in late march? How's the weather around there that thime of year?

tanya
01-26-2011, 01:00 PM
March in and around Zion is .... changeable! It can be like a beautiful spring day or it could be snowing. Usually I count on the last snow about Easter. It could be muddy if it has rained or if there is melting snow. If its dry in there, it should be a great hike in March. So... no clue. :mrgreen:

ratagonia
01-26-2011, 06:28 PM
March in and around Zion is .... changeable! It can be like a beautiful spring day or it could be snowing. Usually I count on the last snow about Easter. It could be muddy if it has rained or if there is melting snow. If its dry in there, it should be a great hike in March. So... no clue. :mrgreen:

Yah, what she said!

I think it unlikely to be able to use the dirt roads that get to the top. They are fairly high, tucked in the trees and the soil is prone to form bad mud. That is where I learned that my 2WD Pathfinder (=stationwagon) is good because when you get stuck, you only need to jack it up and put stuff under two tires.

But... the hike out toward parunaweap via Checkerboard Pass is good that time of year, and parking in the park is on pavement. With wetsuits, Fat Man's could be quite good.

Tom