PDA

View Full Version : question on Taylor Creek and La Verkin Falls

Savannah
05-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi, Forum members,

I am a new member and a great fan of Utah where I have spent several holidays exploring the beauties of its nature. I am really glad to have found this forum, since I hope that one of the members will be able to answer one or the other of my questions before my next holidays start (beginning of June):
We intend to hike the Kolob area this time. We want to do the Middle Fork of Taylor Creek and the La Verkin Creek trail to Kolob Arch.
My first question concerns the Taylor Creek hike. Somewhere I have found the following description:
"The Alcove marks the end of the official path, but continuing upstream presents no immediate difficulty. Around a wide bend, the canyon becomes steeper, rockier and less overgrown. After 10 minutes more the creek emerges from a narrow cleft in the rocks; above is a 30 foot waterfall - most pretty, with nicely curved rocks, unusual colours and rainbow-like light effects. There is a rough, steep path at to the right (south) side of the falls leading to a flatish, wide, boulder-strewn area above. This extends for a few hundred meters, then the trees reappear and the cliffs, now nearly vertical, close in sharply.
The canyon soon narrows, becoming just a few meters wide and ascends, with pools, deep channels and other waterfalls. "
Does anybody know whether it is easy to reach this point? I would love to do it, but I am afraid of steep trails and hate to come too near to a precipice... On the other hand I am a junkie of waterholes, pools, falls and the like, so I would love to find this spot.

Second question: I have read something about "La Verkin Falls". Is this the intersection of the trail and La Verkin Creek (after roughly 4 miles and a half) ? And, if yes, how long does it take to get to this point, if one goes at a leasurely pace?

Greetings
Savannah

tanya
05-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Hi, Forum members,

I am a new member and a great fan of Utah where I have spent several holidays exploring the beauties of its nature. I am really glad to have found this forum, since I hope that one of the members will be able to answer one or the other of my questions before my next holidays start (beginning of June):
We intend to hike the Kolob area this time. We want to do the Middle Fork of Taylor Creek and the La Verkin Creek trail to Kolob Arch.
My first question concerns the Taylor Creek hike. Somewhere I have found the following description:
"The Alcove marks the end of the official path, but continuing upstream presents no immediate difficulty. Around a wide bend, the canyon becomes steeper, rockier and less overgrown. After 10 minutes more the creek emerges from a narrow cleft in the rocks; above is a 30 foot waterfall - most pretty, with nicely curved rocks, unusual colours and rainbow-like light effects. There is a rough, steep path at to the right (south) side of the falls leading to a flatish, wide, boulder-strewn area above. This extends for a few hundred meters, then the trees reappear and the cliffs, now nearly vertical, close in sharply.
The canyon soon narrows, becoming just a few meters wide and ascends, with pools, deep channels and other waterfalls. "
Does anybody know whether it is easy to reach this point? I would love to do it, but I am afraid of steep trails and hate to come too near to a precipice... On the other hand I am a junkie of waterholes, pools, falls and the like, so I would love to find this spot.

Second question: I have read something about "La Verkin Falls". Is this the intersection of the trail and La Verkin Creek (after roughly 4 miles and a half) ? And, if yes, how long does it take to get to this point, if one goes at a leasurely pace?

Greetings
Savannah

Welcome Savannah

Here is Bo's and my trail description for Taylor Creek
http://www.zionnational-park.com/kolob-canyons-taylor-creek.htm

The quote you have is from John's trail description.
http://www.americansouthwest.net/slot_canyons/zion_national_park/taylor_creek.html

There is a rock and dirt beaten path leading past the alcove but sadly I never went that way.

The North Fork of Taylor Creek is pretty cool too
http://www.zionnational-park.com/kolob-taylor-creek-arch.htm

Kolob Arch
http://www.zionnational-park.com/kolob-arch.htm
There is a nice place where the water falls and pool past the arch. It's part of Ice Box Canyon route. You can hike a little way into it from the arch area.
http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-ice-box.htm

See the last photos in this album since that's all you could reach going that way.
http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/index72.htm

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/images/zion-icebox-w_jpg.jpg

Kolob Hiking
http://www.zionnational-park.com/kolob-hiking.htm

Sombeech
05-25-2007, 07:26 PM
Hello, and welcome to another Savanna!

Savannah
05-26-2007, 07:03 AM
Hi Tanya,
thank you so much for your quick answer! Your links were very helpful. We decided to do one more hike in the Kolob area this time.
Either the North Fork of Taylor Creek, which you recommended,
or The Subway from the bottom (about 3 mi. one way).
Which of the both is more spectacular? Which would you prefer?
And: Are both easy hikes? No steep and exposed trails?

Greetings
Savannah

tanya
05-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Hi Tanya,
thank you so much for your quick answer! Your links were very helpful. We decided to do one more hike in the Kolob area this time.
Either the North Fork of Taylor Creek, which you recommended,
or The Subway from the bottom (about 3 mi. one way).
Which of the both is more spectacular? Which would you prefer?
And: Are both easy hikes? No steep and exposed trails?

Greetings
Savannah

I would do the Subway from the bottom, but you would have to get a permit to do that. The exit from the Subway is steep and hot and not anything most look forward to. The hike, once in the river, is wonderful however.

North Fork of Taylor Creek is great is you have already done the classics in Zion, but its not on the favorite list for most people. I like it because you are in or near the water and there are few people on the trail.

You do know that the Subway is in the Kolob Terrace section of Zion, by Virgin and that Taylor Creek is in the Kolob Canyons section by Cedar City?

Win
05-27-2007, 05:55 AM
I did the Middle Fork last weekend and it is a really nice, easy hike. The Double Alcove at the end is really neat, I still can't believe the upper arch! Very hard to photograph and I'll need to go back with my ultra wide angle lense.

We didn't continue past this point but may give it a try the next time up there.

Welcome to the Forum, have a great holiday!

Win

Savannah
05-27-2007, 09:24 AM
Dear Tanya, dear Win,

thanks for your answers! So the Subway from the bottom is steep to hike in - that's too bad, I wish so much to see it... How steep is it exactly? Do you know the Upper Calf Creek Trail? One has to cross a steep and exposed slickrock slope at the beginning - I found it frightening, but when I read about it afterwards in the internet, I found out that most people described it as easy. So I am wondering what it means when you say that the Subway bottom up is steep...
I am glad to hear that the Middle Fork is easy. At least one new hike I can do for sure. North Fork of Taylor Creek should be easy too - correct? I also love to be near the water. Desert, red rocks, canyons and water - that's unique in Utah, a blessed country, really. I can't await it to be there again.
Savannah

tanya
05-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Dear Tanya, dear Win,

thanks for your answers! So the Subway from the bottom is steep to hike in - that's too bad, I wish so much to see it... How steep is it exactly? Do you know the Upper Calf Creek Trail? One has to cross a steep and exposed slickrock slope at the beginning - I found it frightening, but when I read about it afterwards in the internet, I found out that most people described it as easy. So I am wondering what it means when you say that the Subway bottom up is steep...
I am glad to hear that the Middle Fork is easy. At least one new hike I can do for sure. North Fork of Taylor Creek should be easy too - correct? I also love to be near the water. Desert, red rocks, canyons and water - that's unique in Utah, a blessed country, really. I can't await it to be there again.
Savannah

North Fork is not a difficult one. It's remote which makes it more difficult in some ways than the high traffic ones, but the route itself is not too bad.

Subway - It's not too steep that it's uncomfortable to hike down if you are fit and an avid hiker -- this section is a little less than one mile I think. It is a tough climb out however after a hard day of hiking even for those that are avid hikers. However for the average person that just hikes easier trails once in a while it would be considered a tough exit.

Here is my list of hikes that lead to water in Zion
http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-park.htm