PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report TR: Robert's Horn and Primrose Cirque

CarpeyBiggs
05-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Just a quick update before the weekend. Kazak and I headed up the Aspen Grove trailhead on Timp last night to catch the sunset and then bag Robert's Horn in the morning. Snow conditions were pretty good, but there is still alot of snow. Kazak had me on suicide watch the last 1000 vertical. I had to poke him in the ass a couple of times with my trekking pole.

The trail is pretty good, I imagine summit attempts at Timpanogos are practical right now, as the snow is very consolidated, and mainly knee deep. Have fun out there this weekend.

Here is a little image from the sunset at the cirque...

http://danransom.com/blog/images/20070525120239_hiddenlakescirque.jpg

And one from the summit of the horn this morning. This is a 180 degree pano. Timp is in the middle, Deer Creek reservoir is on the farthest left, and the Alpine Ridge of the Cottonwoods is in the distance on the far right.

http://www.danransom.com/TripReports/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/robertshornpano.jpg

Sombeech
05-25-2007, 12:10 PM
wow! nice picture

Alex
05-25-2007, 02:00 PM
I need a shrink now, any available?

Overall the trip was awesome. I have never experienced the snow mountaineering in the past, so this was totally a new thing to me. Dan showed me how much out of shape I am, but was a great sport and help me overcome my fears. Climbing up a snowy slope at 8:30pm was one scary thing for me to do! But I am glad I stuck with it and didn't turn back, well Dan wouldn't let me, I tried!

The scenery is awesome up there, it got cold once the sun set, but after we melted some snow we boiled water for hot food and drinks. A couple of Tylenol PMs later, I was out cold, while Dan was on suicide watch over me. I got up at 1am to piss and Dan was right there asking me if I was ok and if I was going to run off on him in the middle of the night :lol8: . Thanks for looking out for me man!

Looking forward to meeting the rest of the uutah community in person come Black Hole in June!

CarpeyBiggs
05-26-2007, 06:21 AM
I need a shrink now, any available?
A couple of Tylenol PMs later, I was out cold, while Dan was on suicide watch over me. I got up at 1am to piss and Dan was right there asking me if I was ok and if I was going to run off on him in the middle of the night :lol8: .

C'mon man, you make it sound like I was weirdly watching you sleep or something. You forgot the part where you told me you were nauseous and you thought you might be A) dehydrated B) getting altitude sickness, or C) hypothermic. When you woke up, I was thinking you were puking or something, in which case I was going to laugh and offer you some bismuth... :roflol:

sparker1
05-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Amazing trip and photos. Great report, guys. :hail2thechief: :hail2thechief:

madsjim
05-26-2007, 07:42 PM
Two years ago, we attempted Timp the first week of July, there was more snow at that time than there is now, but I decided then that Timp is best done when there is still snow in the cirque.

In the second to last pic near the bottom is where my friend fell through a snow bridge. I nearly crapped my pants thinking he was going to die after riding the raging creek underneath the snow field to Aspen Grove. Fortunately he was alright with only a sprained ankle.

The glissade down Primrose Cirque is awesome when snow conditions are right. After hiking all the crappy switchbacks during the summer, a 5 minute glissade down the whole thing is AWESOME! Nothing beats it. Awesome photos!

marc olivares
05-26-2007, 08:44 PM
once again Dan, you whip out some nice shots! :2thumbs:

uh where was my invite ALEX? :frustrated:

just think, instead of sipping wine on the deck w/ the wife, i could have been up there w/ you boys....uh on second thought, nevermind

tanya
05-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Awesome photos!!!!

Alex! you are getting to be an animal!

tanya
05-26-2007, 09:08 PM
Here is a little image from the sunset at the cirque...

http://danransom.com/blog/images/20070525120239_hiddenlakescirque.jpg

I have to ask! How did you get that photo? That can't be digital is it?

accadacca
05-26-2007, 09:36 PM
:hail2thechief: :hail2thechief: :hail2thechief:
Thanks for the awesome report! :popcorn:

Alex
05-27-2007, 07:58 AM
Awesome photos!!!!

Alex! you are getting to be an animal!

More like a pussy cat than an animal :lol8: