PDA

View Full Version : a new ski resort at kennecott?

stefan
05-23-2007, 11:54 PM
a new ski area in the salt lake valley is being considered as part of the release of a master plan for kennecott land. not gonna happen any time soon if EVER, but ...

http://uutah.com/forum/posting.php?mode=editpost&p=64643

[i]Kennecott will not build in the mountains, except maybe for a major, new ski resort. Schulte says,

accadacca
05-24-2007, 10:09 AM
It is getting very crowded out west. Unbelievable!!! :eek2:

stefan
10-03-2007, 06:46 AM
i found the beginning of this article amusing. step aside alta and snowbird ... a deer valley like ski area is coming. though possibly referring to proximity, the comparison is amusing nonetheless ...

Oquirrhs ski resort proposed
Ski-industry watchers like prospect of a first-ever resort on west side
By Jeremiah Stettler
The Salt Lake Tribune

Step aside, Alta and Snowbird. A west-side ski resort is coming. In the rolling canyons southwest of Magna, Kennecott plans to tap the greatest snow on Earth to create the Oquirrh Mountains' first ski resort. While the copper company and land developer has set no timetable for the project, officials say the snow conditions and slopes are promising for Deer Valley-like terrain just seven miles west of Highway 111 in a region known as Soldier Flats.

It's not a matter of if, says Jim Schulte, Kennecott's vice president of long-range planning, but when. "It's certainly skiable terrain," Schulte said, "and a lot of it."

Salt Lake County leaders stood at the site of the proposed resort Tuesday - during a tour of Kennecott's wider west-bench development plans - and gazed up at north-facing peaks streaked with crimson leaves and fresh patches of snow. From a base elevation of 6,200 feet, the Oquirrh resort would rise to 9,350 feet. By comparison, Snowbird soars from 7,760 feet to 11,000 feet, and Park City goes from 6,900 feet to 10,000 feet. One crest at Kennecott's planned resort overlooks the "Little Valley" flats, where the company plans to build more than 10,000 homes as a secluded mountain community above Magna.

The resort is part of Kennecott's grander vision for the west bench. South Jordan's Daybreak was just the beginning. The company plans to develop 41,000 acres of hillside neighborhoods and businesses. That's enough to cover the valley's east side from 1100 North to 14600 South, stretching from 900 East to the east bench. What excites ski-industry watchers is the prospect of a first-ever resort on the Salt Lake Valley's sprawling west side.

"They could easily do it," said Nathan Rafferty, president and chief executive officer of Ski Utah, a marketing association representing Utah's ski and snowboard industry. "I don't know that it's the kind of resort that would compete with the Snowbirds, Altas and Deer Valleys of the world, but it would be something that would benefit Salt Lake." Rafferty said the resort, by attracting west-siders, probably would complement, rather than compete, with the rugged and revered Wasatch ski areas. But Kennecott officials hope for a bigger hurrah and its location should help - at least with tourists. "It's the closest ski resort to an international airport in the world," Schulte said, noting that it would rise just 18 miles from Salt Lake City International Airport.

Kennecott continues to study snow depths at the proposed Oquirrh Mountain resort, which probably would include two ski areas in Soldier Flats - one visible from Little Valley, the other secluded to the south.
While Schulte wouldn't go into details about the snow depths, he said the early measurements appear "pretty attractive." Salt Lake County Councilwoman Jenny Wilson joined her colleagues Tuesday for lunch in the rocky basin below the proposed resort. She marveled at the terrain. "You would create a niche," Wilson told her Kennecott guides, "that we don't have."

offpiste
10-03-2007, 10:38 PM
I hope this happens! I have wanted to ski some of the bowls and shutes for many years.

FirstTracks
10-07-2007, 09:55 AM
While I, too, have looked at the Oquirrhs many times and thought of the possibilities, the idea strikes me as incredibly silly. It would have to be a snowmaking marvel. The Oquirrhs get little snow -- they're only in the lee of the lake effect bands on a direct northerly wind fetch -- and they don't hold snow worth a damn.

accadacca
10-08-2007, 08:26 PM
While I, too, have looked at the Oquirrhs many times and thought of the possibilities, the idea strikes me as incredibly silly. It would have to be a snowmaking marvel. The Oquirrhs get little snow -- they're only in the lee of the lake effect bands on a direct northerly wind fetch -- and they don't hold snow worth a damn.
Agreed. :eek2: :ne_nau:

Brian in SLC
10-09-2007, 07:52 AM
Agreed.

Ditto. Its just not high enough, or, sheltered enough.

Stare up at "worthless bowl" from work out here in Magna. Short bowl facing east, really the only spot in that area that even holds snow for more than a couple of months. Best and most consistant skiing would be April or May, probably, and only limited to around 500 feet of vert. By that time, most folks are thinkin' more about water skiing than snow skiing. Doesn't make any sense.

I've skied the Oqquirrahs from south of Toole (Ophir area I seem to recall, where ever the tallest peak is). Snowpack out there never seems that good, and, that's the high point of the range.

Compared to South Willow/Stansbury Range and the skiing across the way over on Deseret Peak (which is awesome and never crowded), the Oqquirrahs just don't get or hold the snowpack. And, if they did, avy hazard would be terrible.

I think this spray about a new ski area is just a ruse to get folks excited for the "west bench" development. Has way more to do about selling homes and property out there. Ski area just isn't viable.

-Brian in SLC

asdf
10-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Screw the Oquirrhs.. Provo Peak (http://www.uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3494) is the spot. Too bad that all the attempts at a resort in the peaks above Provo have failed .... Its so sick up there!.

http://www.uutah.com/forum/files/provopeak4.jpg

CarpeyBiggs
10-09-2007, 07:50 PM
I'll agree with you summit. When I hiked the summit in May, there were a few summit registers from heli-skiers. Place would be sick. Thing is, it is really remote to get to as well. Without a snowmobile, skinning in would be a total bear.

BTW, the old lines that were made for the ski lift? Supposedly on the east side of our favorite little trail, that comes over Big Springs into Rock Canyon. They would be on the east side of the drainage. They don't even come close to accessing the best stuff though, and I think the idea was at one time to have the main resort in the south fork of Provo Canyon. The most recent idea though would've put the resort on Maple Flats, with a tram line running from 7 peaks, up the face of the mountain to the resort on the flats, then lifts running from there to the summit.

Also, the last attempt at the resort wasn't shut down because of environmental concerns. From what I've heard from city employees, the whole thing was a go, except the fact that the main developer was convicted of credit fraud or something before right before development officially began. What a d-bag.

Anyways, I'm glad to have it all essentially wilderness, despite the fact that it isn't protected as such. Lot of work to get back there.

BTW, all those topics are in reference to discussion in the other post you mentioned... Not just out of left field, like it sounds.

stefan
10-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Screw the Oquirrhs.. Provo Peak (http://www.uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3494) is the spot. Too bad that all the attempts at a resort in the peaks above Provo have failed .... Its so sick up there!.

nah ... keep it undeveloped :2thumbs:

less is more :cool2:

CarpeyBiggs
10-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I'm all for keeping it undeveloped. But seriously, how do people get out there in the winter without birdies flying 'em in? Place is at least 6 miles or more from the closest winter access. Do peeps skin in that far, then put in a few thousand elevation just to get a run in? Man, that's some serious work.

stefan
10-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Yeah, I'm all for keeping it undeveloped. But seriously, how do people get out there in the winter without birdies flying 'em in? Place is at least 6 miles or more from the closest winter access. Do peeps skin in that far, then put in a few thousand elevation just to get a run in? Man, that's some serious work.

on the other hand, this is utar ... and there are some pretty serious b/c skiers. the cpn is one of them folks who's spent 7 days a week all winter in the b/c for, what?, the better part of 2+ decades? when you're dialed like that ...

on a different note, less accessible rings a nice tone with me. something out of easy reach, something to aspire to, or perhaps something that inspires as wild and nontrivial. i am sure you share a similar feeling. i certainly feel that we (our society) often overdoes it with providing and securing access. while i don't deny that access is good and i take advantage of it to an extent, there is a point where we've overdone it. the wasatch is a narrow mountain range ... i think we've already done enough.

CarpeyBiggs
10-09-2007, 09:56 PM
on the other hand, this is utar ... and there are some pretty serious b/c skiers. the cpn is one of them folks who's spent 7 days a week all winter in the b/c for, what?, the better part of 2+ decades? when you're dialed like that ...

So is that what these guys are doing then? Skinning in for miles? If so, my hat's off to ya. Time for me to find some AT gear, methinks...

FirstTracks
10-09-2007, 10:00 PM
So is that what these guys are doing then? Skinning in for miles? If so, my hat's off to ya. Time for me to find some AT gear, methinks...

I dunno, that's a lot of schlepping...and I'm an AT guy. Now admittedly I could do more to stay in shape than sit here typing this reply (my fingers are really buff! :haha: ), but even on an ultralight AT kit at Alta on Saturday (G3 Reverends, Silvretta Pures and Garmont Adrenalins) I was whooped even after what little we did. OK, OK...it's not midseason, but still...

stefan
10-09-2007, 10:07 PM
So is that what these guys are doing then? Skinning in for miles? If so, my hat's off to ya.
it's impressive what some do :gents:

Time for me to find some AT gear, methinks...

the backcountry is a nice place to while one's time. it can be so serene even in the heart of was angeles.

stefan
10-10-2007, 09:14 AM
i split this thread ... post related stuff to the touring setup thread, thanks