PDA

View Full Version : Forest Service definition of open flame???

HEADHUNTER
05-23-2007, 07:34 PM
I need some help - planning on some backpacking trips and I will be taking a backpacking stove - one that uses propane or some other type of fuel and possibly on that uses whatever is lying on the ground - that is combustible. They both produce a flame. So that is where I'm stuck.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Alex
05-23-2007, 08:11 PM
In the past I was told by a ranger that any stove that uses white gas is ok during the open flame ban. That includes stoves like MSR and Jetboils. With these stoves you can control the open flame. The open flame definition is more for an uncontrollable wood camp fire. I am not sure about the bbq charcoal though.

HEADHUNTER
05-23-2007, 08:18 PM
In the past I was told by a ranger that any stove that uses white gas is ok during the open flame ban. That includes stoves like MSR and Jetboils. With these stoves you can control the open flame. The open flame definition is more for an uncontrollable wood camp fire. I am not sure about the bbq charcoal though.

That makes sense - never thought about the ability to control the flame. And now that makes my decision easier - Jet Boil it is!

Sombeech
05-23-2007, 08:34 PM
Definition of Open Flamer

Flamboyant Homosexual.

----oh, you said FLAME, not flamer. Sorry, my bad. :doh:

Alex
05-24-2007, 07:27 AM

That makes sense - never thought about the ability to control the flame. And now that makes my decision easier - Jet Boil it is!

I love my Jetboil! :five: