PDA

View Full Version : City of Rocks Bike Trails

moabfool
05-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Is there any good mountain biking around City of Rocks? That's our destination for Memorial Day and I know I'm not up for that much climbing. What do y'all got? Maps/Google Earth/waypoints tracks are appreciated but not necessary.

mtnbiker62
05-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Not much in the way of mountain biking there. There's some dirt roads, but that's pretty much it. If you want to drive a little bit, there's some trails closer to Burley. Most of the trails in CotR are just short spurs that lead to the climbing walls...and they'll all be packed this weekend. Have fun! :2thumbs:

johnnyspoke
05-23-2007, 07:39 AM
There is a map/brochure that you pick up in either Almo or when you enter the park. My wife and I went through there a few years ago so the details are a bit fuzzy, but I think most of the trails are closed to mountain bikes because of all the climber traffic. There is at least one that is open though, it is toward the east side of the park. We had our bikes with us so we checked it out. I think it was about 4 miles or so, basically a lollipop loop, starting with doubletrack, dropping down to a small stream/marshy area becoming singletrack, looping around and joining back up with the double track for the return trip. Hardly epic, not technical (well, a stream crossing or two, and there were a couple of big a** snakes to bunny hop) and fairly flat, but riding a bike beats *wishing* you were riding a bike any day :2thumbs: I think there was another trail open to mountain bikes but we didn't ride that. Anyway, the map/brochure should give you the details, I remember it had a little paragraph on mountain biking.

Also, you may be aware of this, but very few of the campsites have any shade, so you would probably want to bring a canopy.