PDA

View Full Version : Stansbury Mountains

tmartenst
05-22-2007, 12:49 AM
Anyone know how the Stansbury Mountains are looking right now for a backpacking trip. I am in SLC so can not see what the snow looks like. I have never been to them but I think Memorial Day weekend is the time. Trying to avoid the Uintas and I want to hit the Stansbury's sometime anyways.

Any help would be great.

Thomas

tmartenst
05-24-2007, 04:40 PM
Nothin' huh? Anyone from Tooele or Grantsville? Just look up and to the west and tell me what you think.

James_B_Wads2000
05-24-2007, 05:42 PM
I work up near the airport so I can only see the north end of the range. But I don't need to see it to tell you that there is still snow up at the highest altitudes. Deseret Peak is about 11,000 ft about the same height as Lone or Broad Fork Twins, both of witch have tons of snow near the top.

I have hiked and backpacked in the Stansbury's a couple of times. I have only been to North and South Willow canyons. I would guess it would take till mid June early July until all the trails are 'snow-free'. So trying to get to Deseret or North and South Willow Lakes you would be in the snow. But there are trails lower on the mountains that might be just fine. But having never been on them before I can't really comment.

What is your planned route/idea/area of interest?

James

tmartenst
05-25-2007, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the response. I figured on some snow and I just got a cast on my hand yesterday. Apparently I broke my wrist a month ago. That being said I do not think we care too much about summiting anything that would require me to have both hands. Just looking for a quiet place to camp, relax and shoot photos. It is funny that you responded because I was just reading all about the deep creek mtns. and Ibapah. Earlier today I ran into someone that told me about the Newfoundland Mtns. and I basically started looking at all the ranges out there. Don't think we will make it to the deep creeks this time but will do soon. The Newfoundland ones look nice. Thanks for the input.

James_B_Wads2000
05-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Yeah Ibapah is great have you checked the Utah High Pointing Index (http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14340)? Lots of good pics and beta on Desert and Ibapah.

And while we are talking about cool West Desert ranges I have to highly recomend the House Range. Notch Peak and the Amasi Valley are second to none.

James

vamedtech
05-28-2007, 10:26 AM
I'm going to attempt to summit deseret peak on tuesday may 29th. Your welcome to tag along if you wish. PM me.

tmartenst
06-02-2007, 12:42 AM
We actually went to the Newfoundland Mountains instead. Figured the Stansburys would be semi busy over Memorial. It was a good choice as we had the entire mountain range to ourselves.

Very remote out there, we actually did not explore as much as we wanted on the western side of the range because we got freaked out on our gas level. I prepared for everything exept bringing an extra tank of gas. I also forgot about the gas station in Delle which would have eased the worry. If you have a shotgun or a car you want to abandon you should definitely go to these mountains. Shotgun shells everywhere and old broken down cars with shotgun holes in them. We hiked up an old mining tram on the eastern side of the range. Pretty amazing what the miners were able to get up the mountain. Still much debris from the WWI & WWII era. The pictures are not in order of the trip.