PDA

View Full Version : Mt Nebo

caverspencer
05-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Anyone in the area of Mt Nebo to know how much snow is up there?

Also how long have people on here done it in?

I have read reports of anywhere from 5 hours to 11 hours from the North. Many reports are in the 6 to 7 hour range. Is that about right?

Also is about 10-11 miles from the North with about 2,700 Elevation gain about right?

I am itching to get a few more high points under my belt and wondering if this one can be reasonably be done with hitting the trail head at Noon?
Otherwise I will have to wait until July because my Saturday mornings are committed to coaching baseball until the end of June.

Mtnman1830
05-21-2007, 08:38 PM
If you have to wait until the end of June, I am game.

CarpeyBiggs
05-21-2007, 09:10 PM
After this afternoon's storm, it will look like it has snow down to about 8,000.

It is also on my list, and I took a long look at it Sunday on my way home. The south ridge looked pretty clear, but the approach is something of a beast.

The north ridge looked like it had a fair amount of snow, but I'd still imagine it's doable. Only problem is, I don't think the bench trail is accessible until after Memorial Day? And that is how most people are getting up to the north peak.

Here is some more details on the North Route (the easiest and quickest). The trail seems to be improving with more traffic, since it was only developed in the last few years, after discovering that the north summit is actually higher (not to be confused with North Peak). Basically, head around to the west side of the mountain, bypass the North Peak summit, head to Wolf Pass, and climb the ridge to the top.

http://www.summitpost.org/route/157218/north-route.html

Looks like the elevation gain is 3400. Let me know if you want some company, I'll tag along. I've only done the first couple miles and back, haven't made the summit yet.

caverspencer
05-22-2007, 08:50 AM
I need to take a look at my sons baseball schedule. I will problaby be heading out after the next 8am game. His games are either 8am 9:15 or 10:30. We could possibly squeeze it in after a 9:15 game, The game ends by 10:30 so it would be about Noon when I could make it to the trailhead.

I will keep you posted, but I think the June 9th game is an 8am game.

CarpeyBiggs
05-22-2007, 09:15 AM
I think June 9th is the uutah canyoneering n00b fest. But keep me posted, I'm flexible.

If they open the gate up to the bench trail, perhaps I'll go scout it this weekend, and let you know.

caverspencer
05-31-2007, 12:29 PM
I think June 9th is the uutah canyoneering n00b fest. But keep me posted, I'm flexible.

If they open the gate up to the bench trail, perhaps I'll go scout it this weekend, and let you know.

Looks like you scouted it all the way to the top on Sunday?

I am going to do it this Saturday June 2nd unless someone has another highpoint planeed I could tag along on.
Its our town days so we do not have a baseball game. So I could get an early start.

How long did it take you round trip on sunday?

Vamedtech You want to grab it Saturday? Anyone else is welcomed.

I am thinking about hitting the trailhead at 7 or 8 am depending on the weather forecast and how early I feel like rolling out of bed.

CarpeyBiggs
05-31-2007, 12:44 PM
It took me 6 1/2 hours, but I thought I took a pretty relaxed pace. It is really pretty quick moving, until Wolf Pass, and up to the summit. If you are reasonably fit, should be able to make it up in 4 hours, then 2 or 3 down. It's not too long, and only 3500 feet or so of elevation gain, which isn't bad considering the other Wasatch Peaks.

Should be even better conditions this week, enjoy.

vamedtech
05-31-2007, 03:39 PM
I would bet there would be significant snow just below the 10,000 foot level. I was on Deseret peak earlier this week and it was impassable at about 9800 ft with out much difficulty. If I would have brought my snow shoes I would have continued on to the peak. I would love to go but not this weekend. Sorry.

CarpeyBiggs
05-31-2007, 04:04 PM
I would bet there would be significant snow just below the 10,000 foot level. I was on Deseret peak earlier this week and it was impassable at about 9800 ft with out much difficulty. If I would have brought my snow shoes I would have continued on to the peak. I would love to go but not this weekend. Sorry.

Did it on Sunday, and the route has some snow, but certainly not enough to warrant any concern. I did it without gaiters, though they might have been helpful on one section from Wolf Pass to the false summit. Mostly clear though.

caverspencer
06-01-2007, 12:57 PM
I dont see anyone that said yes on here but I will post my cell anyway.

If you are interested call my cell 801-381-0839 my internet at home is down so I wont be able to check here. I will try and check this thread one more time before I leave work this afternoon. The safest bet is to give me a call so we can work out the exact plans.

caverspencer
06-04-2007, 10:49 AM
Rob and I had a great hike. We reached the North summit in just under 4 hours and I decided to go on to the south summit. What I forgot was there is 3 summits, and what I thought was the south was really the middle.

It is brutal hike between the North and middle. When we reached the middle summit and realized our mistake we decided it was time to turn around.

The trail to the North summit was in great shape. The snow was not a concern at all. Rob did bring his crampons and used them on the way up while I stuck to the trail. He also tried to Glissade on the way back down but the snow was too soft. Its melting fast up there.

I took lots of videos and pictures and will post them here soon.

CarpeyBiggs,
Thank for scouting the trail the Sunday before.

CarpeyBiggs
06-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Glad to hear you had a good trip... I eyed up the traverse to the middle summit as well, and thought better of it.

Surprised to hear about any crampon use. Where did you need them? Where there was snow last week, it was too soft for crampons to be needed. Perhaps the traverse between the two summits?

caverspencer
06-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Glad to hear you had a good trip... I eyed up the traverse to the middle summit as well, and thought better of it.

Surprised to hear about any crampon use. Where did you need them? Where there was snow last week, it was too soft for crampons to be needed. Perhaps the traverse between the two summits?

Sorry I should have been more clear. Crampons were not needed at all. He just wanted to try them out. He went up the glissades with them while I stuck to the dry trail. The snow is a non issue right now.

here is a video of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxznVYk2OcM
just remember I never claimed to be phtographer..

CarpeyBiggs
06-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Did you glissade that huge snowfield from the top of the gibson creek drainage? That thing was sweet.