PDA

View Full Version : TOP 5 CANYONS IN UTAH?

chabidiah
05-21-2007, 07:41 PM
I am curious on what everyone thoughts are on their choice of the all-time top 5 canyons in Utah. Please share... :2thumbs:

rockgremlin
05-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Please be aware that these are MY top five - they may not be THE top five. Your mileage may vary.....

1. Imlay
2. Shenanigans
3. Pandora's Box
4. The Squeeze
5. *tie* Cable Canyon
5. *tie* Not Mindbender

stefan
05-21-2007, 08:26 PM
well, i am not into these kinda lists ...

BUT, the Zion Narrows easily is one of the best canyons anywhere

rockgremlin
05-21-2007, 08:29 PM
well, i am not into these kinda lists...

:roll: Oh come on! We all know you have an opinion about this -- you do about everything else. Just play along and give us a list.

mrbrejcha
05-21-2007, 08:48 PM
2. Shenanigans

Of all the canyons I've been through (a whopping 15ish) this is my favorite.

CarpeyBiggs
05-21-2007, 08:55 PM
well, i am not into these kinda lists ...

BUT, the Zion Narrows easily is one of the best canyons anywhere

I heard a rumor that you do in fact have a "top ten" list, and five new ones were added to that after a certain lake powell trip not too long ago. Come on man, you can't keep it in the vault forever.

stefan
05-21-2007, 08:56 PM
well, i am not into these kinda lists...

:roll: Oh come on! We all know you have an opinion about this -- you do about everything else. Just play along and give us a list.

but there are like 40 canyons in my top 5!! :ne_nau:

not necessarily at the top:
chop, west cyn, zion narr, buckskin, ... and oh yeah and piahn crek

"This is the most beautiful canyon in all of Canyondom!" That is a phrase I have heard Steve Allen utter frequently. After hiking with Steve Allen for many years, I have learned that the canyon we are in at the moment is the one that he thinks is "the best." It isn't that he's forgotten the others, it is that he sees something amazing everywhere he goes.

-Harvey Halpern

i guess i tend to agree

CarpeyBiggs
05-21-2007, 09:13 PM
Yeah, West seems like it would be a nice one to get into. Did y'all access that by boat or what?

chabidiah
05-21-2007, 09:28 PM
I will be a little more specific. Top 5 wet, slot canyons...? :user:

accadacca
05-21-2007, 09:32 PM
I will be a little more specific. Top 5 wet, slot canyons...? :user:
Dood what the hell is that on yer avatar? Are you trying to moon us or what? :lol8:

stefan
05-21-2007, 09:32 PM
Yeah, West seems like it would be a nice one to get into. Did y'all access that by boat or what?

nah ... by land. took a very good buddy of mine in there when it was full to the brim with water ... the swimming and lighting in the upper slot were unreal ... dear oh dear
long approach though

tanya
05-21-2007, 10:11 PM
Red Cave, Kolob Canyon, Fat Man's Misery, Birch Hollow, Das Boot

Red Cave

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/images/red-cave-ufff_jpg.jpg

Kolob Canyon

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/images/kolob-kzd_jpg.jpg

Scott P
05-22-2007, 06:11 AM
From what I hear:

1. Heaps
2. Imlay
3. Kolob
4. South Fork Choprock
5. Subway

I have not done Heaps, Kolob (upper), or South Fork Choprock, so I can't confirm.

I don't know what my top five would be.

Imlay and E4 were probably my most challenging, especially since both were done without beta. Bluejohn was thrilling to explore since we didn't have any beta.

Subway and Right Fork Great West are easy, but very beautiful. I don't know of any canyons that equal their beauty. Death Hollow is easy and very beautiful too, but I encounter my worst enemy, so I probably won't do it again.

Outlaw Arch was a good one because the scenery is great, we discovered a big arch, and it took a lot of work over a period of years to access.

Canyons like Larry and Cable were pure fun. I really like Stone Donkey, but it is very short so some people won't like it. It's too short to be a favorite, but I like the wilderness character is has since it's a long way from the roads and trails, yet the hike out there is scenic.

My favorite non-slot canyons are probably Lower Bowdie and Dark Canyon from Youngs Canyon on down. Lower Youngs is awesome too.

tanya
05-22-2007, 06:33 AM
From what I hear:

1. Heaps
2. Imlay
3. Kolob
4. South Fork Choprock
5. Subway or West Canyon

I have not done Heaps, Kolob (upper), West, or South Fork Choprock, so I can't confirm.

I don't know what my top five would be.

Imlay and E4 were probably my most challenging, especially since both were done without beta. Bluejohn was thrilling to explore since we didn't have any beta.

Subway and Right Fork Great West are easy, but very beautiful. I don't know of any canyons that equal their beauty. Death Hollow is easy and very beautiful too, but I encounter my worst enemy, so I probably won't do it again.

Outlaw Arch was a good one because the scenery is great, we discovered a big arch, and it took a lot of work over a period of years to access.

Canyons like Larry and Cable were pure fun. I really like Stone Donkey, but it is very short so some people won't like it. It's too short to be a favorite, but I like the wilderness character is has since it's a long way from the roads and trails, yet the hike out there is scenic.

My favorite non-slot canyons are probably Lower Bowdie and Dark Canyon from Youngs Canyon on down. Lower Youngs is awesome too.

Yep! Zion rules! :2thumbs:

Scott P
05-22-2007, 06:47 AM
Yep! Zion rules!

Scenery wise, yes.

However, it does have drawbacks. Seriously over-bolted canyons, not much new territory to explore (at least it seems), permit systems, poinson ivy, etc. :naughty:

Beauty wise though, I still say that canyons like the Subway or Right Fork are at the top. Zion and Escalante areas are probably the two most beautiful areas of the Colorado Plateau. The thing that makes the difference (in my opinion) is the abundance of running water.

Iceaxe
05-22-2007, 07:10 AM
My top five are the last five I did :nod:

tanya
05-22-2007, 07:13 AM
Yep! Zion rules!

Scenery wise, yes.

However, it does have drawbacks. Seriously over-bolted canyons, not much new territory to explore (at least it seems), permit systems, poinson ivy, etc. :naughty:

Beauty wise though, I still say that canyons like the Subway or Right Fork are at the top. Zion and Escalante areas are probably the two most beautiful areas of the Colorado Plateau. The thing that makes the difference (in my opinion) is the abundance of running water.

Politics and crowding are always a problem.
There are still those on the skirts of the park like the ones I listed on my top 5. Birch, Fat Man's, Red Cave... and even Kolob has few visitors although you do need a permit for that one.

tanya
05-22-2007, 07:14 AM
My top five are the last five I did :nod:

Even if one of the last 5 is Behunin. :lol8:

Iceaxe
05-22-2007, 07:23 AM
Even if one of the last 5 is Behunin. :lol8:

I eliminated that quandary by promising myself I'd never do the waste of a good day better known as Behunin again..... consider it my gift towards eliminating the Zion over crowding problem.

:five:

Scott Card
05-22-2007, 03:52 PM
From what I hear:

1. Heaps
2. Imlay
3. Kolob
4. South Fork Choprock
5. Subway or West Canyon

Dang those may be my top five but I haven't done Chop yet. Although easy, I love the Subway. That place speaks to me. Heaps is the top of my list though. Then Kolob then Imlay. I was so impressed by the last rap in Neon that Neon Cyn is on my top ten for sure. A couple of my favorite romps are Pinecreek when flowing, Trial Canyon, and Zero Gravity with clean water and a zipline at the end.

Scott P
05-22-2007, 04:01 PM
Trial Canyon

Trail?

Zero Gravity

Not sure what the deal is with that one. I've heard from some that it really good, and from others who said it's not even worth it. :ne_nau:

Heard the same about Behunin. :naughty:

There are some canyons that everyone likes (i.e. the Subway) and some that attact vastly different opinions. Different taste I guess.

Iceaxe
05-22-2007, 04:04 PM
Zero Gravity

Not sure what the deal is with that one. I've heard from some that it really good, and from others who said it's not even worth it. :ne_nau:

Zero-G is the Keyhole of the Swell. If you like Zion keyhole you will like Zero-G.... and vice-versa.

As with most canyons, the more water the better it is.....

:popcorn:

Scott P
05-22-2007, 04:29 PM
As with most canyons, the more water the better it is.....

Unless it's flash flooding. :nono:

mrabe1979
05-22-2007, 07:17 PM
my top five
1. South Fork Choprock
2. Imlay
3. Seger's hole. aka squeeze
4. Quandary
5. Cable Canyon

I do agree with Shane because the mood I am in when I am canyoneering and not at work is priceless. :cool2:

shaggy125
05-22-2007, 07:21 PM
If I had to make a list of what I've done it would be:

1. Choprock (when the happy section is flowing and the grim is full of swims)
2. Heaps
3. Imlay
4. Flowing Kolob
5. Pandoras Box

The list will probably change by this time next year, but that's it for now.