PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Echo, Keyhole, and Mystery

Scott P
05-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Since everyone and their dog has probably already done these canyons, I

Scott Card
05-21-2007, 01:37 PM
[quote=Scott Patterson]

At 5 am we decided to bail on Heaps. Our packs were heavy as heck and since we didn

Scott P
05-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Actually, Scott, I think you made the right decision.

Yes, I agree, but it still doesn't stop us from being a bit disappointed.

Yes, better to be safe than sorry, and definately not a good place to learn methods, so it was still the right choice.

If anyone is not confident or committed, it's never a good idea to think about going to a canyon.

new folks

The others aren't new to climbing, but new to really big raps and perhaps fairly new to pothole escapes. In any case, they are both much better climbers than me (and most especially Danny), so if those two skills are practiced a bit, they would make stong additions to any canyoneering team. Danny can smoke me on any up or down climb in any canyon. We're heading for Imlay in July.

Scott Card
05-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Actually, Scott, I think you made the right decision.

Yes, I agree, but it still doesn't stop us from being a bit disappointed.

Yes, better to be safe than sorry, and definately not a good place to learn methods, so it was still the right choice.

If anyone is not confident or committed, it's never a good idea to think about going to a canyon.

new folks

The others aren't new to climbing, but new to really big raps and perhaps fairly new to pothole escapes. In any case, they are both much better climbers than me (and most especially Danny), so if those two skills are practiced a bit, they would make stong additions to any canyoneering team. Danny can smoke me on any up or down climb in any canyon. We're heading for Imlay in July.

I know the dissapointment of turning back. Been there done that a few times. I just don't have to drive so far as you to try again though. Hope you get Heaps ticked off the list soon.

Sorry about the "new folks" comment. Hope I didn't offend. I love climbers in my group because heaven knows I am no climber.

Imlay is a blast. Get your talons ready if Zion doesn't get any significant rain between now and then. You will have same nasty pot holes to deal with. I have never experienced them, only seen the photos. The time I went through last summer it was brimming full following a big rain and flash flood.

BTW, I agree with you on Echo. Not too much bang for the buck. Bummer you didn't do a Spry or Shane's favorite, Behunin. Now there is a place with a bunch of big drops.

Scott P
05-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Sorry about the "new folks" comment. Hope I didn't offend.

I doubt they would be offended and I'm certainly not.

Imlay is a blast.

Yes, I've done Imlay before, but it was a long time ago. Looking forward to doing it again. We have plenty of talons and such.

BTW, I agree with you on Echo. Not too much bang for the buck.

We went with what were highest ranked in the guidebooks. Yes, although pretty, Echo wasn't as good as we expected.

Bummer you didn't do a Spry or Shane's favorite, Behunin.

I'm glad we didn't do Behunin. I thought that everything that wasn't wet was unpleasantly hot, and I don't like the heat. Even the narrow and shaded, but dry sections of the canyons were a bit warm for my taste. Cold water always felt good. After the fact we found out that Kolob wasn't releasing any water from the dam. If we would have known, it would have been my first choice after Heaps, but I always assumed it water would be too high and cold in May. Bummer we didn't know until after the fact. Apparently they will start releasing water soon.

Scott Card
05-21-2007, 02:37 PM
After the fact we found out that Kolob wasn't releasing any water from the dam. If we would have known, it would have been my first choice after Heaps, but I always assumed it water would be too high and cold in May. Bummer we didn't know until after the fact. Apparently they will start releasing water soon.

That is a bummer. Kolob is one of my all time favorites. When I went we did the full meal deal all the way through the narrows. What a blast that was. That last rap in Kolob is one of the prettiest raps ever. Oh well, the canyons aren't going any where. Have you done das boot? If you like cold water, that is another place for you. Although the hike there and out are a "bit" hot.

Scott P
05-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Have you done das boot? If you like cold water, that is another place for you. Although the hike there and out are a "bit" hot.

Nope, Zions a long drive for me now, so haven't done that much there.

Here is about all the technical/semi-technical stuff I've done there:

Mystery
Keyhole
Echo
Icebox
Secret Falls (La Verkin system east of Icebox)
Kolob-lower section, not upper
Imlay
Beartrap
Subway
Right Fork North Creek
I guess I also did one tiny "canyon" that drops into upper LaVerkin/Willis too, but that wasn't much.

I think the above is about it, technical/semi technical wise.

Scott Card
05-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Have you done das boot? If you like cold water, that is another place for you. Although the hike there and out are a "bit" hot.

Nope, Zions a long drive for me now, so haven't done that much there.

Here is about all the technical/semi-technical stuff I've done there:

Mystery
Keyhole
Echo
Icebox
Secret Falls
Kolob-lower section, not upper
Imlay
Beartrap
Subway
Right Fork North Creek
I guess I also did one tiny "canyon" that drops into upper LaVerkin/Willis too, but that wasn't much.

I think the above is about it, technical/semi technical wise.

You have got to get back down there. there are a bunch of goodies still to do!. Englestead, Spry, Eye of the needle, Kolob technical section, and of course Heaps, Behunin, Pinecreek, etc. You have done a couple that I haven't done yet. Icebox, Beartrap and Secret falls. If it weren't for the blasted permit system.....I have a feeling you would go to Zion a few more times.

Scott P
05-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Eye of the needle

I think it's closed now or illegal to do?

Pinecreek

July 5.

Icebox

It's a good one.

Beartrap

Pretty, but no more so than the main Willis Creek and La Verkin trails. Prettiest section is actually the short section below the falls and to La Verkin Creek.

Secret falls

The lower end is short but nice, but it's drawback is that the canyon requires a LONG car shuttle and you must get permission to access the top end. I don't remember exactly, the the car shuttle takes several hours. Maybe 4 or 5? It is a whole lot of work for a short canyon. On the other hand, you will never have to worry about getting a permit for this one. When we did it, there wasn't any signs what so ever of any other humans, though other's have undoubtably been in there.

Don't know how practical, but the best way to see the lower section might be to get a good rock climber to lead the pitches from the bottom??? I haven't been there in years and have no idea how hard this would be nor could I guess.

Iceaxe
05-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Eye of the needle

I think it's closed now or illegal to do?

Eye of the Needle is not closed.... but it does currently have some access issues. The head of the canyon is accessed by crossing private property.

:popcorn:

Scott P
05-21-2007, 05:05 PM
Eye of the Needle is not closed.... but it does currently have some access issues.

Actually I got that from your own website. I guess I should say considered to be closed.:2thumbs:

So for the time being consider the canyon closed and the information below as a historical reference only.

Too bad about the access issues.

Iceaxe
05-21-2007, 05:09 PM
Too bad about the access issues.

Different people work on the problem now and again.... hopefully we can get it openned back up again.

:nod:

chabidiah
05-21-2007, 07:10 PM
I have done many of the above mentioned canyons and I would say that Pine creek is one of my favorites. If you hit it after a good storm you could be swimming half the canyon. Plus if you have experienced partners with you you could do it twice in one day. :naughty: