PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhiking in Zion

Iceaxe
05-17-2007, 08:36 AM
About half the time I do Pine Creek I have to hitchhike back up through the tunnel to pick up my truck. I've always wondered exactly how legal this activity was. Anyhow..... below is the policy of the park.

[i]

Alex
05-17-2007, 09:10 AM
It also helps if you have a hot babe in a bikini standing next to you! :lol8:

tanya
05-17-2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks Shane! This is good to know! I always knew the ranger would ask people driving trucks to let those with a bike hitch a ride through the tunnel, but always wondered what the official rules were. :2thumbs:

Wasatch
05-17-2007, 09:50 AM
The few times we had to do it, when we got to the tunnel the ranger also stopped a vehicle to let us hitch a ride. We did look cool carrying ropes around our neck, who could resist, lol

Iceaxe
05-17-2007, 10:13 AM
I also found it greatly improves your hitching chances if only one member of your party hitches and you leave your wet ropes and packs behind. I've never spent more then 5 or 10 minutes hitching a ride back through the tunnel from the second switchback.

Usually I just chat up one of the tourists that pulls over to take pics and hitch a ride with them..... but then again.... I'm such a social butterfly. :haha:

A friend of mine actually had a really nice and easy to read NEXT TRAILHEAD sign printed up and laminated. He just keeps it with his standard canyon gear and tosses it in the pack when required. That sign is magic, always get a ride in a couple of minutes.

:five:

Wasatch
05-17-2007, 12:18 PM
We left vehicles at the bottom, always started the canyon with the hike up with gear. But from now on we will do the opposite and drive up and the one person will go up to retreive the vehicle.

mtreker
05-17-2007, 06:52 PM
I found it easier to drive though the tunnel and drop off the gear and other gruop members and drive to the bottom and thumb a ride back up so your not trying to hitch in smelly clothes. Plus you don't have to leave any gear behind. I used shanes sign and was picked up by the second car within 2 mins.