PDA

View Full Version : Baby Issued Illinois Gun ID Card

Mtnman1830
05-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Baby Issued Illinois Gun ID Card
By Associated Press
Tue May 15, 7:06 PM

CHICAGO - Bubba Ludwig can't walk, talk or open the refrigerator door _ but he does have his very own Illinois gun permit.

The 10-month-old, whose given name is Howard David Ludwig, was issued a firearm owner's identification card after his father, Howard Ludwig, paid the $5 fee and filled out the application, not expecting to actually get one.

The card lists the baby's height (2 feet, 3 inches), weight (20 pounds) and has a scribble where the signature should be.

With some exceptions, the cards are required of any Illinois residents purchasing or possessing firearms or ammunition within the state. There are no age restrictions on the cards, an official said.

Illinois State Police oversee the application process. Their purpose, said Lt. Scott Compton, is to keep guns out of the hands of convicted felons, those under an order of protection and those convicted of domestic violence.

"Does a 10-month-old need a FOID card? No, but there are no restrictions under the act regarding age of applicants," he said.

Ludwig, 30, of Chicago, applied for the card after his own father bought Bubba a 12-gauge Beretta shotgun as a gift. The weapon will probably be kept at Ludwig's father's house until the boy is at least 14.

AND I THOUGHT UTAH HAD GUN FRIENDLY GUN LAWS

jumar
05-16-2007, 01:01 PM
:lol8:
The baby could be like Maggie Simpson. I'd love to see the card, and see a little 10 month old's face on it. :roflol:

AND I THOUGHT UTAH HAD GUN FRIENDLY GUN LAWS

Utah is more laxed. You don't need a firearm ID card in Utah to own a gun, at any age.

Sombeech
05-16-2007, 02:07 PM
I wonder if the dude got in trouble with the law once he admitted this.

jumar
05-17-2007, 08:20 AM
Speaking of Utah gun laws...
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,660221327,00.html

Gun buys, permits too easy?

2 blind people gain Utah concealed-weapon rights

By Ben Winslow
Deseret Morning News
At least two people who are blind have been granted concealed weapons permits in the state of Utah.
Dave Kolpack, Associated PressCarey McWilliams holds Utah and North Dakota concealed weapons permits. The Utah Department of Public Safety's Bureau of Criminal Identification said it issued the permits because legally it can't discriminate.
"Right now, there is no provision in the state statute that says a blind person cannot have a state firearms permit," DPS spokesman Jeff Nigbur said Wednesday.
In Utah, mental illness is one of the few barriers to obtaining a concealed weapons permit.
The controversy flared up after a North Dakota man challenged a decision by a Minnesota sheriff and a judge to deny him a concealed permit in that state. Carey McWilliams already has concealed weapons permits in Utah and North Dakota.
"I'm trying to prove a point that people without sight can carry (a gun) because brains are more important than eyesight in securing public safety," McWilliams said.
McWilliams obtained his gun permit in Utah after attending a "firearms familiarity course."
State officials acknowledged the situation is unusual.
"Should someone visually impaired be allowed to carry a handgun? We understand people's concern," Nigbur said. "The other side of the argument is this country was founded on the Constitution and a Second Amendment right to bear arms. Disabled people are no different."
Nigbur said BCI is not a policymaking body and will operate under state law. Any changes in the law would be made through the Utah State Legislature.
A Deseret Morning News analysis of concealed weapons permits published last month revealed that about one in every 43 people in Utah has a permit.
Utah's concealed weapons permits are also favored by many people outside the state, because they are recognized by 30 other states. In fact, the newspaper's analysis revealed 84,849 permits are held by non-Utahns. An inexpensive $59 permit fee and class that requires only three hours are also incentives.
During a Wednesday meeting of the Legislature's Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Interim Committee, lawmakers discussed ways to keep funding the program. BCI asked for $653,000 to be dedicated to concealed weapons permits to help clear away a backlog of permit applications.
"The statutory time to issue permits is 60 days. Right now, because of a lack of funding, they're running about 100 days into the issuing process," said Rep. Curtis Oda, R-Clearfield.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contributing: The Associated Press
E-mail: bwinslow@desnews.com

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_5901931

Blind man says Utah gun permit does not make him dangerous
By Dave Kolpack
The Associated Press
Article Last Updated: 05/15/2007 02:48:55 PM MDT

Posted: 2:48 PM- FARGO, N.D. - A blind man who has concealed weapons permits from North Dakota and Utah says he's not a danger to society, even though he can't see the gun he's shooting.
Carey McWilliams, 33, says he has followed all rules, and he wants Minnesota to join other states that have granted him a concealed weapons permit. He says he was rejected by a Minnesota county sheriff and a judge in that state.
"I'm trying to prove a point that people without sight still can carry (a gun) because brains are more important than eyesight in securing public safety," McWilliams said. "The shooter at Virginia Tech had really good eyesight and he killed 32 people."
Sheriff Bill Bergquist of Clay County, Minn., said he felt bad about denying a permit for McWilliams.
"He's a super nice guy," Bergquist said. "But the application states that a person should be able to show proficiency on the firing range and a proficiency of the weapons. That's the issue.
"Sometimes I have to ask myself, what is right in this case? I felt when I denied it, he could have his day in court," the sheriff said.
McWilliams said he completed the required class and shooting exercise by Paul Horvick, a National Rifle Association instructor. Horvick said he believes gun rights are private and would not comment on anyone he has taught
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

or tested. Documents on Minnesota weapons hearings are sealed.
McWilliams said he uses special low-range, hollow-point bullets that are effective only in tight quarters.
"If I use a gun it will be at point-blank range, period," he said. "A sighted shooter is probably more dangerous because they can see something scary and pull their gun in haste."
Under Minnesota law, an applicant must be issued a license for a gun or a concealed weapon if he or she completes the class and shooting exercise and passes a background check - unless "there exists a substantial likelihood that the applicant is a danger to self or the public if authorized to carry a pistol under permit."
McWilliams believes Minnesota officials have violated his constitutional right to keep and bear arms.
"It's nobody business that I'm blind," he said.
McWilliams lives in a Fargo trailer park with his wife, Victoria. A neighbor, Jon Storley, accompanied McWilliams during his appeal to the Minnesota District Court.
"He's not a nut, he's not a weirdo, he's not a freak," said Storley, a cab driver and rock musician. "I'm not a lawyer, but in this case I believe the judge was legislating from the bench."
Storley also said he doesn't blame Bergquist and Kirk for their decisions, calling the case "a kettle of worms."
The permit obtained from Utah is recognized in 30 other states, including Minnesota. McWilliams said he had to complete a "firearms familiarity course" before receiving the Utah license.
"Basically they just passed around a couple of guns," McWilliams said.
McWilliams, who got his North Dakota permit in 2001, testified during the 2005 North Dakota legislative session against a proposal to drop the written part of the concealed weapons test. He told lawmakers it would allow people who are ignorant about firearm regulations to get permits. The test was eliminated.
The Legislature also decided to keep individual information about weapons permits confidential, said Liz Brocker, spokeswoman for the attorney general's office.
"All I can tell you is the total number of permits that have been issued" - 8,030, she said.
McWilliams lost his eyesight when he was 10 years old, after a series of headaches and gradual deterioration. It was a mystery to doctors.
He said he was a victim of domestic violence growing up and was stalked by gang members.
"I've had situations where I would have felt threatened if I hadn't been carrying," he said.
McWilliams has written two books, including an autobiography published earlier this year that talks about his experiences in sky diving, scuba diving and deep sea fishing. He was in two segments of Michael Moore's antigun movie, "Bowling for Columbine," including a scene showing him cradling an AK-47 assault rifle.
Much of his autobiography is about his weapons training and testing.
"My permits together allow me, with reciprocity, to carry my gun in 30 states, one of which could be yours," he writes. "But never fear, with my extensive experience in firearms, I have take all reasonable measures to ensure the safety of others."