PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report TR: Provo Peak

CarpeyBiggs
05-12-2007, 08:25 AM
Finally got out and bagged one of the 7 peaks of Utah County. It's been on my hitlist for quite awhile now, and I had a free day, so I figured why not.

I was surprised to see how aggressive of a climb the last mile is. According to my gps, it was 1.08 linear miles to the summit, with an altitude gain of over 3000 vertical feet. Wasn't expecting that. The climb took about 3 hours, and whooped me pretty good.

Biggest issue is access to the trailhead right now. Squaw Peak Road isn't open yet, so I rode my mountain bike to the base of the west ridge, ditched it, climbed the peak, then rode out rock canyon back to my place in Provo. Made for a hell of a day. I underestimated the climb into the trailhead, took me about two and a half hours on my bike from where the pavement ends, and I was expecting around an hour.

The road is in great condition, should be open in three weeks, I'd imagine. There are some big snow drifts covering it in a few places, but other than that, totally clear. The section from Provo Peak west ridge to camel pass is still entirely covered though. I imagine it will easily be passable by 2WD cars this year, unless we get some serious spring run off that ruts it out.

Pics to come...

EDIT: Okay, full TR with pics now up.

http://www.danransom.com/TripReports/?p=26

tanya
05-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Finally got out and bagged one of the 7 peaks of Utah County. It's been on my hitlist for quite awhile now, and I had a free day, so I figured why not.

I was surprised to see how aggressive of a climb the last mile is. According to my gps, it was 1.08 linear miles to the summit, with an altitude gain of over 3000 vertical feet. Wasn't expecting that. The climb took about 3 hours, and whooped me pretty good.

Biggest issue is access to the trailhead right now. Squaw Peak Road isn't open yet, so I rode my mountain bike to the base of the west ridge, ditched it, climbed the peak, then rode out rock canyon back to my place in Provo. Made for a hell of a day. I underestimated the climb into the trailhead, took me about two and a half hours on my bike from where the pavement ends, and I was expecting around an hour.

The road is in great condition, should be open in three weeks, I'd imagine. There are some big snow drifts covering it in a few places, but other than that, totally clear. The section from Provo Peak west ridge to camel pass is still entirely covered though. I imagine it will easily be passable by 2WD cars this year, unless we get some serious spring run off that ruts it out.

Pics to come...

Great Job on the bag and getting to the trailhead!!! Looking forward to the Pictures! I have a feeling that if you did it in 3 hours you are not "whooped" easily. :lol8:

I like that term Peak Bagging... where did that come from. This is a personality test (in case you wondered)

Wasatch
05-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Glad you got it done with, huh?

asdf
05-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Sounds like a fun ride/hike :2thumbs: I went up the big springs side on a solo ride today but I fell just short of the snow line. I saw a pretty nasty bike wreak right at big springs. Some kid took a bloody face plant off one of the bridges up there.

That west ridge is pretty damn steep and I still consider it a real way (who cares what Scott says).

The worst part of the road is between Provo peak and Camel pass. You dont want to do it a in car... well your car.

asdf
05-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Sounds like a fun ride/hike :2thumbs: I went up the big springs side on a solo ride today but I fell just short of the snow line. I saw a pretty nasty bike wreak right at big springs. Some kid took a bloody face plant off one of the bridges up there.

That west ridge is pretty damn steep and I still consider it a real way (who cares what Scott says).

The worst part of the road is between Provo peak and Camel pass. You dont want to do it a in car... well in your car.