PDA

View Full Version : kids and ATV-accidents in newsweek

stefan
05-11-2007, 08:06 AM
from ... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18507647/site/newsweek/

[i]With summer on its way, ATV enthusiasts are gearing up for a chance to get muddy. But ERs across the country are bracing for an influx of young patients like B. J. Smith. The number of ATV-related emergency-room visits in the United States has more than doubled in recent years, from 52,200 in 1995 to 136,700 in 2005. Sadly, children younger than 16 account for roughly one third of all ATV-related deaths and injuries. "It's a national epidemic," says Dr. Gary Smith, director of the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Columbus Children's Hospital and chair of an American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) committee on injury prevention. It's also costly: a recent study concluded that Ohio has in excess of 10,000 ER visits each year for ATV-related injuries, which translates into $30 million in annual hospital charges. "And that's just one state," says Smith.

Despite the high injury rates, ATV sales during each of the past five years have been about 850,000, up from 326,000 in 1996. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission long ago issued guidelines for ATV safety, but despite the warnings

MTpockets
05-11-2007, 08:23 AM
[quote=stefan]Despite the high injury rates, ATV sales during each of the past five years have been about 850,000, up from 326,000 in 1996. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission long ago issued guidelines for ATV safety, but despite the warnings

stefan
05-11-2007, 09:48 AM
Meanwhile, a 23yr old nephew, with a history and little driving experience, came out at Easter time and while riding my dad's Rancher way beyond his abilities and the terrain was thrown off and suffered a fractured collar bone. I am sorry he got hurt but how do you get a kid to slow down when they act/think they are invincible?

you don't let him ride it, until he you impress upon him the need for safety and awareness of consequences ... or you let him mess himself up.

MTpockets
05-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Other than myself, I've only let my nephew and the neoghbor kid ride the 400ex. They took the safety course and willingly wear helmets. No one else will even take the course so I don't let them ride my bikes.

MT

Stuck N Utah
05-11-2007, 12:43 PM
I think riding atv's will always be risky. The increase in injuries has a lot to do with the influx in riders. Helmets great idea however i'm not sure most people need to take a class they just need to chill out and take it easy until they get a feel for the machine. I have been to the hospital a couple times but not do to lack of training or experience. Some times stuff just happens.

As for kids under 16 I think thats a joke anyone that can handle a machine should be able to ride it. My cousin is 13 and races quads in the pro class at local tracks in cali with the big boys.

I would be willing to bet the majority of riders getting hurt are the well experienced with the "go big or go home" attitude vs. the cautious beginner.