PDA

View Full Version : I need to find some dog friendly hiking trail....

Danicadotcom
05-10-2007, 09:09 AM
I just got a new puppy the other day and would love to find some good hiking trails to take her on along with my other dog...does anyone know of some good hiking trails that are dog friendly and are close to South Salt Lake, Murry, or Sandy that would be very helpful. Also not something to difficult to climb cause we are all out of shape... :haha:

Wasatch
05-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Millcreek Canyon

Danicadotcom
05-10-2007, 09:19 AM
Thanks do you have any info on this I am new here...

Wasatch
05-10-2007, 09:21 AM
What kind of info?

Danicadotcom
05-10-2007, 09:24 AM
Do you have a link with info about the trail because I've never been up there and I am new here so I need a little help finding things around here.

accadacca
05-10-2007, 09:27 AM
You'll probably want to hike the pipeline. But there are tons of trails up there, you'll see signs and stuff. You can get a pamphlet and info at the fee booth. It cost a few dollars to enter the canyon. The canyon is located on the east side of Salt Lake, up on the bench, off I-215. Here is a map: http://maps.citysearch.com/map/view/11340859

accadacca
05-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Here are some directions to a hike up Millcreek: http://saltlakecity.about.com/library/weekly/03art/bldesolation.htm

Danicadotcom
05-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Kool Thank You very much i'll try it out this weekend...ooo one more question though do you know the amount of the toll to get in the canyon?

Wasatch
05-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Like what was mentioned, there are alot of trails up there. The road/entrance is around 3900 S. and Wasatch Blvd. Go down the road a couple of miles and the fee booth is there, you can also buy a yearly pass as well. There are many picnic spots as well. Have Fun.

accadacca
05-10-2007, 09:42 AM
Kool Thank You very much i'll try it out this weekend...ooo one more question though do you know the amount of the toll to get in the canyon?
$2.25 charge per car.

Wasatch
05-10-2007, 09:42 AM

$2-3 bucks, but it's been a couple of years since I've been there.

accadacca
05-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Also, don't forget to take pictures and post a trip report on uutah.com when you get back. Thats how you pay us back on uutah.com, its like a fee, but we charge in pictures. :2thumbs: :lol8:

Danicadotcom
05-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Kool, Im down with that I need to start useing my new camera more anyway. Thanks agian!! :2thumbs:

gonzo
05-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Another good place to go is Parley's Gully - it's an off leash area with a few very easy trails. (It's more of a walk than a hike). Since it's off leash there are always lots and lots of dogs and dog owners down there. If your puppy is very young you may want to consider keeping him/her on leash until it gets used to be around other dogs.

Parley's Gully is also known as Tanner's Gulch, and is right next to Tanner Park. There's no cost to access the park. Here's the Google Map (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=tanner+park+salt+lake+city,+ut&sll=40.710069,-111.813977&sspn=0.012053,0.020084&ie=UTF8&ll=40.711988,-111.817603&spn=0.012052,0.020084&z=16&iwloc=addr&om=1). (Note, it's incorrectly labeled "Parley's Way" on that map).

A couple of notes on Millcreek Canyon: it's only off leash on odd days. On evenly numbered days you need to have your dog leashed. You're also only allowed to be off leash on the trail, use the leash along the road, parking lots and at the trail head. Some trails are closed to mountains bikes on odd days, so you'll encounter more mountain bikers on even days. Until you know your dog's behavior around bikers you may want to avoid even days.

No matter where you go with your dog, please be sure to clean up. Nothing is grosser than a pile of crap on or near the trail.

Sombeech
05-10-2007, 09:40 PM
A couple of notes on Millcreek Canyon: it's only off leash on odd days. On evenly numbered days you need to have your dog leashed. You're also only allowed to be off leash on the trail, use the leash along the road, parking lots and at the trail head. Some trails are closed to mountains bikes on odd days, so you'll encounter more mountain bikers on even days. Until you know your dog's behavior around bikers you may want to avoid even days.

Yep, and we would always forget the rules, so we had to snap a picture.

http://uutah.com/forum/files/p7160161.jpg

Brian in SLC
05-10-2007, 09:55 PM
You can take dogs up City Creek too, but, they have to be on a leash.

Red Butte too? Emigration Canyon?

Uinta's is pretty close, only an hour or so drive. Lamb's Canyon?

COME = City Creek odd, Millcreek even for when bikes are allowed.

Up Millcreek, Grandeur Peak is a neat hike. So is the Elbow Fork area. Porter Fork. Etc etc.

If you stop at the Millcreek Inn and have a cup of soup, they'll give you a pass for the canyon. Kinda almost pays for itself (not really, but, can be a nice spot to stop on the way out the canyon).

-Brian in SLC

gonzo
05-11-2007, 08:16 AM
You can only go about 2 miles up City Creek until it's become a water shed area. There's a big sign on the road that tells you where to turn around.

Red Butte is a nice hike with your dog, too. Technically I think it's an on leash area, but no one pays attention. If you start at the trail head on near the Huntsman Cancer Institute (Colorow Dr?) you can cross over the Bonneville Shoreline Trail and head up to The Living Room. I don't know the name of the trail, but it's fairly obvious once you're on BST. The Living Room hike can be a little strenuous (it's fairly steep in a few places) but you get a nice view of the valley once you get there.

I believe Lamb's Canyon is a watershed area, so no dogs. :(

Danicadotcom
05-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Kool!!! Thanks guys!!! It's much appreciated!!! :2thumbs:

tawna
05-11-2007, 10:00 AM
What kind of dog is it?

Brian in SLC
05-11-2007, 10:11 AM
You can only go about 2 miles up City Creek until it's become a water shed area. There's a big sign on the road that tells you where to turn around.

4 miles ain't so bad for some folk, though.

Red Butte is a nice hike with your dog, too. Technically I think it's an on leash area, but no one pays attention. If you start at the trail head on near the Huntsman Cancer Institute (Colorow Dr?) you can cross over the Bonneville Shoreline Trail and head up to The Living Room. I don't know the name of the trail, but it's fairly obvious once you're on BST. The Living Room hike can be a little strenuous (it's fairly steep in a few places) but you get a nice view of the valley once you get there.

George's Hollow. Also accesses Big Beacon to the right, rather than cutting over to the Flintstones' Living Room. Great early season hike, as the trail dries out sooner than most.

You might check out John Veranth's book, "Hiking the Wasatch". Gives some good idears.

-Brian in SLC

Danicadotcom
05-11-2007, 10:29 AM
An American Bulldog puppy and its a girl. I also have a Black Lab named Danzig. He just turned one so we decided to get him a friend. We haven't named are new puppy yet. But my boy friend better decide tonight cause its been almost 3 days that we've had her and she doesn't have a name to come to yet. Ill have to put some pic's on line soon of them both, along with our hiking trip on Saturday if we end up going. :mrgreen:

Also thanks for the other ideas. I think we are gonna try Millcreek this weekend.

gonzo
05-11-2007, 11:39 AM

4 miles ain't so bad for some folk, though.

Agreed. Just wanted to point out that you can't run around all willy-nilly up there without running afoul of the water cops.

accadacca
05-11-2007, 02:58 PM
I also have a Black Lab named Danzig.
After the rock band? :ne_nau: :rockon:

Sombeech
05-11-2007, 09:05 PM
What kind of dog is it?

Hey, nice avatar by the way. :2thumbs:

Mtnbiker
05-14-2007, 08:05 AM
Just thought I'd stick my nose in here too. Since you haven't seen Mill Creek yet I thought I'd post a few pics of our Grandeur Hike on Saturday with our new Pup. He only made it about half way but had a blast! Our first dog needed a playmate too so we got this little dude last week. Now they are inseparable. Meet Bob!

By the way you mentioned places near Sandy.. there are several nice miles of the Bonneville Shoreline trail in Sandy/Draper that have no restrictions on dogs. You can park at the Orson Smith trailhead off of Highland Drive in Draper and I think there may be a big map there. Also, check here:
http://www.draper.ut.us/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={51E1DB2A-63E0-4D03-98F0-0830C5FE1A97}

Danicadotcom
05-14-2007, 08:38 AM
I didn't get a chance to go this weekend with mothers day and all but I am going to try and go next weekend so if anyone has any other ideas of some nice trails that would be awesome. I am going to post some pics of my puppies as well sometime later to day.

Your puppies are absolutely adorable by the way!!!!

Also yes my dog Danzig is named after the old lead singer of Misfits!!!! :rockon:

gonzo
05-14-2007, 09:16 AM
The Steve, Lissa and I did a short hike up Red Butte on Sunday. It was beautiful, but hot! The Helianthella uniflora (yellow flowers) are starting to die, but there's another round of blooming ready to start.

Here's The Steve and I resting after the hike:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/498045822_e201269605.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kris247/498045822/)

Danicadotcom
05-15-2007, 07:54 AM
Well here are some pics of my puppies!!! YAY!!! We are most likely going hiking this weekend cause we haven't got any other plans. Well lets cut to the chase here they are!!! :haha:

asdf
05-15-2007, 12:21 PM
I also have a Black Lab named Danzig.
After the rock band? :ne_nau: :rockon:

THE ROCK BAND!!!!!

You mean Glen Danzig of the MISFITS right??

accadacca
05-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Same guy diff band. . . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danzig_(band)

asdf
05-16-2007, 05:32 AM
Same guy diff band. . . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danzig_(band)

yeah. but... Danzig is ok. The Misfits were ground breaking.
Would you like me to mock Bon Scott? :frustrated:

Danicadotcom
05-16-2007, 07:25 AM
You are correct I named him after Glen Danzig the founder of the Misfits. I don't really enjoy listening to the band Danzig, their OK but not my favorite. :haha: