PDA

View Full Version : XTS Moto - Opinions?

MY T PIMP
05-10-2007, 08:48 AM
I'm looking at buying this bike for $1200 new. This will be my first "real" bike.

http://www.diamondback.com/items.asp?deptid=12&itemid=170

Sombeech
05-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Do it!!!!

Joe Gardner
05-10-2007, 10:42 AM
I think that bike is one of the better values out there for freeride bikes. You can't complain about the frame or fork, components are great, wheels may only last a year or two, depending on how you ride...

By first 'real' bike, what do you mean? First mtn bike? What kind of riding history do you have? I really got into Down Hill mtn biking in '98 - '00, DH bikes back then are the free ride bikes of today, I hated riding my DH bike anywhere other then ski resorts, and I could only afford to do that a few times a year.

Back to the bike: Its a great deal and would be a damn fun bike to have in the stable. :D

accadacca
05-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Yeah, the thing is thats a 90% downhill bike. All of the trails here in the valley are mostly cross country. You will always have to lug it up the trails in order to go back down them (except for the ski lifts, as Joe mentioned). What does it weigh? I didn't see it listed in the specs. My cross country bike weighs 29lbs. I prefer a cross country bike for those reasons and a few others. Just remember, when you've earned the downhill, its that much sweeter. :2thumbs:

Sombeech
05-10-2007, 12:25 PM
I climb best using this method.

http://uutah.com/forum/files/snowbasin__2___small_.jpg

MY T PIMP
05-10-2007, 01:16 PM
One thing you fellers have to realize is that I'm 300+ lbs, and the last bikes I have had, the suspension has easily bottomed out and left me tumbling down the trail without the bike. Also because of my weight I need a well built bike because I plan on beating it up. I do have a hard tail GT for some of those full up hill extravoganzas. THANKS FOR THE INPUT, I LOVE THIS SITE. :2thumbs:

Jaxx
05-10-2007, 01:33 PM
I don't see where you could hook on a basket? :ne_nau:

MY T PIMP
05-10-2007, 01:51 PM
I don't see where you could hook on a basket? :ne_nau:Having no basket is truly a damn shame, and what happened to those fat seats with springs.

REDFOX
05-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Get it !!!! The chicks will dig it !!!! :2thumbs:

SprungShoulders
05-10-2007, 05:47 PM
One thing you fellers have to realize is that I'm 300+ lbs, and the last bikes I have had, the suspension has easily bottomed out and left me tumbling down the trail without the bike. Also because of my weight I need a well built bike because I plan on beating it up. I do have a hard tail GT for some of those full up hill extravoganzas. THANKS FOR THE INPUT, I LOVE THIS SITE. :2thumbs:
Mountain Bike Fiction mag has brainwashed the general buying public into thinking that anything over 30lbs is too heavy to ride cross country on. Don't believe it. At your weight, IMHO riding something less beefy than about 35lbs is tempting grievous bodily harm, especially if you're thinking of jumping/dropping anything more than a couple of feet.

The XTS would, IMHO, be an excellent "all mountain" bike for you. Unless you're slightly off, the fun begins after you get get to the top of the mountain. :wink: And if you're not racing XC, it's not very important how long it takes you to get there. Enjoy nature and the calories burned getting to the top, and then rock on the way down without worry that your 26# XC wonder machine is going to leave you picking moose poop out of your teeth. :mrgreen:

Get the Moto and have fun. It's an excellent value for the money.

mtnbiker62
05-11-2007, 07:03 AM
I'm with sprung on this one...forget how much it weighs, and enjoy the ride. I've done the same thing with my "all-mountain" bike. Mine weighs 36 lbs., is a bugger to pedal to the top of the hill, but is a blast to ride down...I love it!

mtnbiker62
05-11-2007, 07:05 AM
I'm a big fan of your method! :haha:

I climb best using this method.

http://uutah.com/forum/files/snowbasin__2___small_.jpg

accadacca
05-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Good points made boyz. You will need some beef and you could join mtnbiker62 for one of his rides: http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6804 :lol8:

mtnbiker62
05-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Definitely join us! We're doing the slow, fat thing tomorrow morning, at Green Canyon trailhead in Logan...9:00 a.m....be there, or be square! :cool2: We're fat, we're proud, we gasp for air real loud!! :bootyshake:

you could join mtnbiker62 for one of his rides: http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6804 :lol8:

MY T PIMP
05-15-2007, 07:19 AM
Guys thanks for the help. I ended up making the purchase. And then breaking my "F"ing foot on saturday. So my biking is screwed for a month or so. :frustrated:

accadacca
05-15-2007, 07:29 AM
Guys thanks for the help. I ended up making the purchase. And then breaking my "F"ing foot on saturday. So my biking is screwed for a month or so. :frustrated:
Ah hell, that blows. Were you riding the bike?

MY T PIMP
05-15-2007, 09:23 AM
I was actually just getting on the bike. The doc said that the tendons in my lower foot snapped the bone off. I had some tendonitis. It's the only thing that could of happened as it happened while my foot was suspended mid air.

Joe Gardner
05-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Congrats on the Bike! Sorry to hear about the foot. Hopefully the month will pass soon and you can get out there sooner then later!

RedSpecialized
05-15-2007, 03:12 PM
I have a DH bike that weighs about 46lbs. and here's what I say. I don't care if I have to push my bike up hill. Once the down hill starts, see ya later!!

Another thing which I think will make you happy with your purchase is this, The heavier the stronger, in most cases.

Tear it up. I ride my bike with all my crosscountry friends and for the most part I keep up with them. I don't make it up all the stuff they do, but then again. Then don't make it down the stuff I do either. Take your pick, as for me I would much rather bomb down a hill and hit a few drops then climp up puke hill or something.

Good choice with the bike. Just stop being a whimp and breaking your foot and go out and ride!! Ok just teasing about the foot, hope it heals soon!

SprungShoulders
05-17-2007, 10:49 AM
I have a DH bike that weighs about 46lbs. and here's what I say. I don't care if I have to push my bike up hill. Once the down hill starts, see ya later!!
Amen. :2thumbs:

MyT, heal fast. I can empathize.... Going on almost a year now, and it still hurts. :doh:

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/UMBphpBB2/files/foot1sm_175.jpg http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/UMBphpBB2/files/foot2sm_107.jpg

MY T PIMP
05-17-2007, 10:54 AM

MyT, heal fast. I can empathize.... Going on almost a year now, and it still hurts. :doh:

[/img]Thanks I feel much better now. I must say all of these biking pictures and posts are making me pretty depressed. I was planning on using the bike to lose some weight.

asdf
05-17-2007, 11:21 AM

Thanks I feel much better now. I must say all of these biking pictures and posts are making me pretty depressed. I was planning on using the bike to lose some weight.

I do quite of bit of up hill pushing with my 40+lb DH bike as well. I have pretty much same mind set as you guys... hell I even have a bunk foot too. It kills me when hiking downhill, but thats why I push my bike :five:

Dec
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/141/338722081_6143ef0b57.jpg

MY T PIMP
05-17-2007, 01:14 PM
Boy with all these broken feet, we should have our own forum.

SprungShoulders
05-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Summit42: Ouch! :scared: I see you had the "...who blew up the latex rubber glove and stuck it at the end of your leg?" syndrome as well. How'd you break yours?

MyT: I know it sucks, but patience, Grasshopper. The new bike will still be there for you when you're sufficiently healed; in the meantime, hit the gym a little so nothing atrophies while the injured dog heals.

It was about 13 weeks before I could ride (lightly!) again on my foot. I broke four metatarsals: one on impact, another three as I tucked and rolled and my foot got wedged under some roots/rocks. It felt & sounded like taking a piece of bubble wrap and twisting it until the bubbles pop. My 47lb bike then fell 10 feet and hit me on the head.
It wasn't a stellar day for either body or ego, that's for sure.... :wallbash:

MY T PIMP
05-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Summit42: Ouch! :scared: I see you had the "...who blew up the latex rubber glove and stuck it at the end of your leg?" syndrome as well. How'd you break yours?

MyT: I know it sucks, but patience, Grasshopper. The new bike will still be there for you when you're sufficiently healed; in the meantime, hit the gym a little so nothing atrophies while the injured dog heals.
:Thanks for the support, the doc didn't tell me which bone I broke he showed me and it's on the arch at the end of of the ball of the foot. Where the tendons wrap around underneath just below the ball of the ankle. I should feel alright because my foot does not look as bad as either of these pictures. Just hurts like hell! :frustrated:

asdf
05-18-2007, 06:22 PM

I did not break it ... "strained ligaments" is what they told me. I was in a walking cast and crutches for 6 weeks then I was able to snowboard with a brace, ace wrap, and in my boots the have built in braces. I was not able to ride my bike for about 12 weeks and there is still no way I can skateboard (I tried a kick flip and it was pretty depressing). It still hurts from time to time, I cant take impact if my foot is in the wrong position on the pedal when I do a 6inch drop its VERY painful.

more or less.. i need to keep both wheels on the ground .. but that's better then nothing.

SprungShoulders
05-18-2007, 11:14 PM
I did not break it ... "strained ligaments" is what they told me....
Strained ligaments?!?!!? :eek7: I'm not a doctor, but based on how your foot looked in comparison to mine, as well as your recovery period and continued pain.... Man, I vote you broke something!

"Walking Cast" == "Storm Trooper Boot"? Ahhh, I know it well. Nothing like wearing a knee-height hunk of plastic and neoprene in the dead of summer. I bought stock in Dr. Scholls foot deodorizer spray... :haha:

I say we all go with peg legs. Feet are too complicated. Too many little bones and pieces of connective tissue to bugger up.

greyhair biker
05-19-2007, 09:28 PM
AHHH!! the downhill rig/cross country bike....I LOOOOOVVVEEE my big fat 50 pound monster of a downhill bike and use it for cross country ALL THE TIME....and it's a pain in the ass to lug up the hill but MAN, on ANY downhill it is a faithfull companion that will go anywhere I have the balls to fly! Ask anyone who has ridden with me...downhill is you FRIEND!

MY T PIMP
05-21-2007, 06:39 AM
I can't wait to have this plush ride for the down hill, and as far as up hill, I could sure use the exercise. I have to read the manuals for the suspension to make sure I'm capitalizing for my fat ass.