PDA

View Full Version : Why racism is still a problem in the U.S.

MY T PIMP
05-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Here is an interesting article...

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/stories/2007/05/07/0508bravesminority.html

Scott P
05-09-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm concerned with the lack of white NBA players. Just kidding.

Anyway you look at it, "affirmative action" or going out of your way to recruit based on race (or lack of number of players of a certain race) is still discrimination. Race should have no bearing on hiring or recruiting.

Sombeech
05-09-2007, 10:19 AM
I'm concerned with the lack of white NBA players.

:lol8: Oh no you di'int.

Brian in SLC
05-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Not really racism, per se, but a sign of the times?

The draining of MLB of black athletes has been a topic of conversation in some circles as of late (and, of course, I can't remember where).

Some theories? Not as much little league syndrome? Baseball is a sport passed from father to son.

Go for the quick buck? Younger talent finds a way into the NBA much quicker than going up through AAA etc to a MLB team.

Multi sport athletes on the wane? Used to see guys that would "switch hit", so to speak, between baseball and another sport. Now, competition is so fierce, and contracts too, that might be too tough to negotiate.

Space in cities to play? A hoop only requires a couple guys and a small amount of space.

I dunno. Maybe baseball isn't as cool as it used to be either. Not fast paced enough for the MTV generation etc. Also, maybe not violent enough? Eeek.

Crazy...but...probably not as race related.

-Brian in SLC

jumar
05-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Anyway you look at it, "affirmative action" or going out of your way to recruit based on race (or lack of number of players of a certain race) is still discrimination. Race should have no bearing on hiring or recruiting.

Exactly :nod:

sparker1
05-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Anyone who thinks MLB discriminates against African-Americans is a "nappy headed ho".

asdf
05-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Anyone who thinks MLB discriminates against African-Americans is a "nappy headed ho".

I am offended!

But if you would of said that wearing a slew if diamonds and gold chains holding a wad of 100 dollar bills with a dozen half naked women around you on MTV it would have been acceptable.