PDA

View Full Version : Zion Canyons 18-20 May

Wasatch
05-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Anyone interested in doing some canyons on these days in Zion?

alusul
05-09-2007, 09:26 PM
well my partners seem to have flaked and Im trying to make it down for zion for the first time this season. I have those dates free except the 20th but might take the time off, let me know if your still planning on going those dates

CarpeyBiggs
05-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Alusul,

I talked to Wasatch tonight, and we are both trying to head down there. I've got a couple emails out to other guys to see if they can come as well. Love to meet up if you are interested.

Dan

Wasatch
05-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Yeah, still planning on going down to Zion. Like Dan said it looks pretty good, would be good if we could all go in one vehicle to save on gas money, but we could meet ya down there.

CarpeyBiggs
05-10-2007, 09:20 AM
I've made reservations on a permit for Spry on Friday the 18th. So far we have John Varn, John (Wasatch) and Myself on the schedule. We got room for 3 more. We will also be waiting in the lines to try and snag some other permits. Perhaps a Mystery, Keyhole, or Pine Creek, or anything else the group comes up with.

Join up, let's get a crowd down there.

Dan

CarpeyBiggs
05-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Still only 3 of us, with a 4th "maybe." Anyone else want in?

Ryebrye
05-15-2007, 10:04 AM
I've got a group of at least three, maybe up to five (and slight chance of six) heading down. We're going to get down friday early evening and hitting up whatever good canyon we can get a walk on permit for for Saturday.

We're going to do Keyhole Friday night with drysuits and headlamps, and then our plans for Saturday are up in the air. I'd mention the canyons we are going to try to get permits for - but I don't want to give you any ideas :D

If you get a walk on for Mystery for 6 people for Saturday (be in line early Friday!) and you only have 3 people in your group - we can fill your group for you and I'll volunteer someone in my group to carry the rope!

Oh - to clarify my group size... There are 3 solids, and one guy wants to drag some people along... If there was a chance at Mystery canyon I'd nix his plans for that quite quickly :)

Wasatch
05-15-2007, 10:14 AM
I'll tell you right now, I'm not getting up early for a permit to do Mystery, if someone else wants to, that's fine by me, LOL By the way, where are you staying?

CarpeyBiggs
05-15-2007, 10:23 AM
I'll tell you right now, I'm not getting up early for a permit to do Mystery, if someone else wants to, that's fine by me, LOL By the way, where are you staying?

Of course you aren't. But I am.

Ryebrye
05-15-2007, 03:22 PM
The place we stay depends on our group. We'll likely camp outside zion in that area down by the river - but if my wife comes with our son we'll camp inside the park so she can be near bathrooms. (If she comes, she's not going to do canyons, just see the sites... etc)

I've PM'ed CarpyBiggs back and forth a bit about a few scenarios.

We're going to do a little canyon run through Pine Creek around sunset (dropping in at around 6pm - the sun sets at 8:30pm), and then Keyhole immediately afterwards in the dark by headlamps. If you guys want to meet up with us and do that, I think it will make for a fun evening. (There is some cold water in keyhole, especially when the sun is gone). [It would be convenient to have two groups doing Pine Creek because we could park a car where we would pop out at the end and it would speed up getting into Keyhole]

The next day we haven't decided - but we do know our group size is 4 now (maybe it will swell to 5 but I doubt it). 2 of us want to do Imlay (me and Chris Raver) and 2 others are on the fence and don't care.

If there were some in your group interested in Imlay and some interested in Mystery, we could probably work out some kind of blended group thing where we have one group do Mystery and one group do Imlay.

We aren't planning on getting our Imlay permit until we drive down. We'd get it on the way down and pick it up from the North entrance.

We'll get the Keyhole and Pine Creek permits when we know better how many people will be involved. (It's not like those permits are going to run out any time soon)

Iceaxe
05-15-2007, 03:45 PM
We're going to do a little canyon run through Pine Creek around sunset (dropping in at around 6pm), and then Keyhole immediately afterwards in the dark by headlamps.

PPPPPLLEEAASSEE!!!!! video tape this conversation with the BC ranger when you pick up your permits for this. :lol8:

Just to help get things rolling I'll mention how this converstation will begin....

BC Ranger: You know you guys are probably going to die....

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Last time I picked up a Pine Creek permit at 5 pm you would have thought I just told them I was going to assassinate the prez or something.

:popcorn:

Ryebrye
05-15-2007, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I know. Last year we had one for Pine Creek we picked up at 5pm and the ranger kept looking at our watch and then kept looking back at us and looking at her watch.

We replied: "Pine Creek on average takes us two hours from start to being back in our car. We'll be out before sundown, I promise"

- The North desk people seem to care less than the south entry people... The BC desk person we talked to the first time was actually the gun-toting one that has authority to shoot you if you poach a canyon or whatever the gun-toting one has the authority to do...

We later swapped out that permit to a Keyhole permit since someone in our group really didn't want to do pine creek - by then it was 6pm and the desk didn't seem to care...

Oh - and Shane - Chris Raver says he just sent you $25 to be your friend and he wants his password to prove your reciprocal friendship! :2thumbs:

Wasatch
05-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Sounds interesting. Chris might remember me a few years back when we did Telephone/Buhunin, party included: Myself, Tom Talboys, Porter, and my friend Greg Brown. That was my first trip to Zion.

Iceaxe
05-15-2007, 05:03 PM
Oh - and Shane - Chris Raver says he just sent you $25 to be your friend and he wants his password to prove your reciprocal friendship! :2thumbs:

It's in the mail.... :lol8:

I feel like a hooker when I am paid to be a friend......

....so please just leave the money on the nightstand when you leave.... :roflol: :roflol:

I emailed Chris everything he needs a couple hours ago. If he didn't get it have him ping me sideband.

:2thumbs: