PDA

View Full Version : Hey y'all!

W
05-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Hey folks! Just joined up a couple days ago, haven't had a chance to post 'til today thanks to my crazy schedule this week, but wanted to poke in here & say hi to everybody. Looks like an awesome site!

So, a li'l about me:

First, my name is Josh, and I live in Roy. Lived in Utah for pretty much my entire life (for better or worse :haha: ).

Just started hiking last summer, and loved it! Was sad to see the summer end, although it gave way to another new outdoor activity for this year: snowboarding! Loved snowboarding as well, and even still have all of my bones in the same number/place as before (although I learned the hard way to wear a helmet... stupid ice!) Unfortunately a short snowboarding season this year to get me started, but it means that it's time to get up & hit the trails again, and I can't wait!

Spent all my time last summer hiking up around Mt. Ogden/Snowbasin, and really enjoy the area up there (especially since it's so close to home and such awesome scenery), but I'm looking forward to getting out & exploring some new trails here along the Wasatch this summer too. (Especially since I just got a new GPS I'm itchin' to go out & play with :mrgreen: ) Think I'm going to start hitting the Beus Canyon trail as soon as we get another nice weekend (don't know if I'll make the entire hike to the top just yet 'til I get back in good trail shape after the winter!), and I'd love to try North Skyline up to Ben Lomond this summer too... another long trek (well, for a relative noob like me hehe), but looks like it'll be an awesome hike.

I usually hike alone, although that's not necessarily by choice -- I'm just single & haven't found any good hiking buddies yet (lifelong or otherwise ;) ). Would love to find some folks to hike with; who knows, may just find that here!

Well, great to be here... look forward to chattin' with y'all over in the Hiking (and, who knows, maybe Snowboarding?) forum!

stefan
05-05-2007, 03:33 PM
welcome to the site :2thumbs:

accadacca
05-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Welcome to da hood!! There are lots of outdoor hoodlums up in the Ogden area. :lol8: :2thumbs:

Sombeech
05-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Welcome! I'm right next door to you in Clinton. :cool2:

RugerShooter
05-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Welcome it's nice to see some more people from the Ogden area

Alex
05-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Welcome aboard, I am from SLC but work in Harrisville, so another neighbor :2thumbs:

Mtnman1830
05-06-2007, 01:04 PM
Welcome to the site! You have a GPS? Have you tried geocaching? There are a lot hidden on the trails around.

W
05-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the great welcome folks! Awesome to see there are a grundle of us up here in the Ogden area! Look forward to hangin' out with everybody here & who knows, maybe even bumping into one or two of ya up on the trail!

Mtnman, nope -- never have tried geocaching. Only got my GPS a couple days ago, so haven't even had her up on the trail yet (heck, barely had time to take it outside & find any satellites)... still a GPS noob. :lol8: Sportsman's Warehouse over in Riverdale is supposed to be having a GPS 101 class Tuesday, and think I'm gonna go to that just to get the basics. Other than that, I'm up for any tips y'all have got! I always enjoy hands-on, practical learning better than classroom instruction anyway.

Hopefully the weather turns out nice next weekend... if so, I think I might just head over & see how far up Beus Canyon I can get. Need to get the ol' trail legs back. :)

Anyway, thanks again... Great to be here!

Mtnman1830
05-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Was, there is a geocaching 'event' in Farmington saturday, with a potluck.
Before the potluck, there is a hike up to the waterfall in Adams Canyon.

There will be some experienced geocachers there, and will be more than happy to help you with the geocaching thing.

BTW, what GPS do you have???

W
05-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Mtn,

Thanks for the heads-up on the Adams Canyon hike/potluck event... I'll definitely have to think about that one! Was planning to try Beus this weekend, but maybe Adams would be a nice early-season warm-up. :)

I'll think about that one and let ya know!

BTW, I own a Garmin eTrex Vista Cx Silver. Just have the basemap so far -- was thinking about getting the US Topo map, but decided to wait a bit as I heard that Garmin was supposed to be releasing 24K Topos for the entire US soon, and I already have Nat'l Geo's TOPO! software to print out 24K maps, export routes & just follow along in the meantime.

-Josh

Iceaxe
05-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Welcome noob :2thumbs:

spiraleyes
05-08-2007, 09:07 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2/spiraleyes/270917403_1ae736f6c5.jpg